Which season was the biggest letdown for your team?

49ersfan

It's gota be 2020 for the 49ers. The SB team was mostly brought back, but it quickly became a horrible season due to the crazy number of injuries. Just about every good player missed significant time 

2014 is second. Season had a ton of infighting and drama with Baalke/Harbaugh, the bad drafts in 2012/2013 caught up to them, and the talent on the team regressed. Aldon Smith was also suspended for much of that year. And then it all fell apart in 2015 after Harbaugh, Willis, Justin Smith etc left

2021 was pretty bad for the Titans.

Start with lots of reason for hype, lose Henry, still go on a tear, beating the best teams in the NFL without him, get the one seed anyway, get Henry to return healthy for the playoffs, then....Tanny throws three interceptions and inept play calling makes them just barely lose the first game they play in the playoffs.

• Like 1

2002 easily. We were Super Bowl favorites again to start the year I believe and started 0-5. Also basically the end of Kurt Warner with the Rams. That season sucked.

Honorable mention for 2000 - if Hakim didn't muff that punt....well, we had already taken out the Vikings and the Giants in the regular season. I think you would have seen Rams/Ravens in the Super Bowl.

6 hours ago, August4th said:

2006 and 2009. missed the playoffs after winning the SB

2006 was infuriating.   Ben had his motorcycle accident and Cowher put him back in way too soon.   He should have sat at least the first month.   Then, just as Ben was getting his groove back, he got a concussion which set him back again.    I just got the feeling Cowher knew he was leaving and just didn't really care that year.

2009 was, IMO, when we really started to see Tomlins trademark of playing down to inferior teams.   I think we had alot of injuries that year too, and a putrid OLine.  

For me, 2017 was the biggest waste.   13-3, top 5 offense and defense, and Ben ruined it by playing like trash in the first half of the playoff game vs Jax, which he did alot.      We likely would have lost vs New England, but if there was any year we had a chance vs them in the postseason, that was the year.

9 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

It's gota be 2020 for the 49ers. The SB team was mostly brought back, but it quickly became a horrible season due to the crazy number of injuries. Just about every good player missed significant time 

2014 is second. Season had a ton of infighting and drama with Baalke/Harbaugh, the bad drafts in 2012/2013 caught up to them, and the talent on the team regressed. Aldon Smith was also suspended for much of that year. And then it all fell apart in 2015 after Harbaugh, Willis, Justin Smith etc left

How far are you going back? As a fellow 49ers fan I think it's easily 1987 or 1990. In 1987, they were clearly the best team in the NFL, and they had a remarkable stretch the last quarter of the season where they outscored their opponents 147 to 19. Montana was MVP, Rice had arguably the best season of his career, and the defense was trick slapping everyone that stepped up. 

And then the team completely flopped against the Minnesota Vikings at home in the divisional round, the NFC's lowest seed that year. 11 point favorites, and choked. Completely devastating, and Bill Walsh suffered the consequences. He had his team presidency stripped, and was close to being fired. This was the highest ranked team by DVOA among all 49ers teams via Pro Football Outsiders, even among SB champ squads.

As for 1990, not as strong a team, but still the big dogs in the NFL, and went 14-2. Closest team in NFL history to getting a 3-peat, and they lose Montana and Craig coughs the game away on a fumble. Last game for Craig, Lott, and Montana as long time stalwarts for the franchise. If the 49ers had advanced, and beat the Bills, that would still be as strong a legacy as any other franchise having X amount more rings or titles. Three straight is just an incredible feat. 

I guess for me it stings a lot more when your team is essentially in the middle of a dynasty run, and has a great chance to keep stacking rings, and then they just falter near the finish line. Now I'm getting irked just thinking about those missed opportunities. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1