Deshaun Watson Suspended 6 Games; UPDATE: NFL Submitting Appeal to Increase

CBears019

11 minutes ago, malak1 said:

If Goodell increases the suspension length, what was the point of having Sue Robinson at all?

So that people can't blame him for the length of the suspension either way.

You're correct though, since Goodell's job only exists to make the owners look good, we've now outsourced the outsourcing.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The next one I believe will be Alvin Kamara and his assault case. I'd suspect - given the criminal charges and evidence available - Kamara will be looking at greater than six games.

Drew Davenport is an excellent SM analyst and is increasingly convinced Kamara won’t face big penalties.    Fair amount of talk of this getting reduced to non-felony.    This case reinforces the notion that stars get the benefit of the doubt.  It speaks more to CLE & Watson’s awful PR that 6 games seems like a massive W for him.  

This is perhaps the biggest key element to the decision being limited to 6 games.   The issue is Watson camp painted themselves as “having done nothing wrong” and painted it all on the women -  it not have been a felony (misdemeanor for sure and totally creepy) but also clearly not ok.   

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Allegations and accusations 

If there were evidence you’d have more of an argument. It just is what it is. A FEDERAL JUDGE who knows more then I’d guess everybody on this forum and 1% of all people in society. I’m gonna take her opinion over everyone on this forum. 

Stop explaining it, people have all of the necessary info. People are going to push their narrative regardless. Just as gross...

3 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Mad that an alleged serial predator is getting a slap on the wrist? Yes. But losers like you are happy because he can throw a football good for your team.

I really thought the NFL would push for the Trevor Bauer route.

This is less about Watson than the precedent going forward unfortunately. It’s that third party hearing the case and seeing whether or not public perception and the NFLPA will be a problem with Goodell trumping that person they hired. This is exactly why the NFL has intentionally leaked anywhere from 2 games to a season to a season plus indefinite suspension, to gauge the public opinion and NFLPA response.

They will wait a full cycle today to decide whether or not to appeal. If anything I’d say they’d look at a punitive monetary fine as opposed to games since the browns and Watson gamed the system with up front money and base salary in case of suspension.

• Like 1

Now for the 2022 season a couple of observations: 

-CLE first 6 games are @CAR, vs NYJ, vs PIT, @ATL, vs. LAC and vs. NE.  If they go 3-3 they can still sneak into WC with 7 teams making it.   Go 2-4 esp with 4 home games playoffs are in trouble.  

-NE biggest betting beneficiary IMO.  Likely become clear road favorite.  

-This seems to kill the CLE market for JimmyG.  

6 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Mad that an alleged serial predator is getting a slap on the wrist? Yes. But losers like you are happy because he can throw a football good for your team.

Funniest part of all of this will be if/when Watson is good/solid but never worth the price they paid for him and the Browns continue being the Browns.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Stop explaining it, people have all of the necessary info. People are going to push their narrative regardless. Just as gross...

Just beyond ironic coming from the fanbase whose football discourse has pretty much amounted to 

“Ray Lewis murderer heh” 

for the last 25 years because of how bad the team has been.

Browns fans have built an identity around things like that, and defaulting to “Big Ben = rapist” for so long, that they almost had people convinced they really did care about the morality of off the field issues.

Nope. Just turns out it was always a deflection away from the horrific on-field product they had to deal with as fans 

Glad we’ve confirmed that though so now when they stink in the future they can’t try & do the fake moral high horse thing anymore 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

Bauer is alleged to have committed sodomy without consent on 2 women.   Just because the GJ didn’t indict him on the first accuser doesn’t mean there isn’t far worse info on the MLB investigation.      The GJ didn’t find cause for charges because of the complexity of the first accuser having had consensual relations to start the encounter.   But the civil allegations clearly paint violence.  By 2 women.   That’s a MASSIVE difference. 

For Watson - the accusers’ own accounts Watson didn’t use physical force nor verbal threats.    It’s indisputable he kept asking for extras even with legitimate MT’s and exposed himself.   But those aren’t violent acts.   Morally repugnant?  Absolutely.   But it’s also not a felony.  

The difference in time can clearly be accounted for by the above.  The $ is one area the NFL allowed themselves to let happen when they didn’t intervene with TB12/Pats restructure his salary to 1M before Deglategaye decision.  So I have zero sympathy for the league they earned this PR nightmare on the $ side. 

I say the above thinking Watson clearly went over the line.  But it was coercion that was non violent.  Which makes it non-felonious in most states and pretty much everywhere else in the world.   What Bauer is accused of doing and MLB investigated clearly falls as a major felony.   

That tweet above shows Travis did zero actual reading on the details but went for the click bait.   Which is hardly surprising.  

Edited by Broncofan

23 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Allegations and accusations 

If there were evidence you’d have more of an argument. It just is what it is. A FEDERAL JUDGE who knows more then I’d guess everybody on this forum and 1% of all people in society. I’m gonna take her opinion over everyone on this forum. 

... but that FEDERAL JUDGE you're referencing to did say that Watson did something wrong in her 15 page response:

Her wording on this is pretty deliberate - she thinks he did something wrong, but has no evidence to rule as such. If she thought he did nothing wrong, he wouldn't have been suspended (which was an option for her to invoke - no suspension at all).

Go ahead and celebrate that your QB is playing 11 games this season, but don't conflate this as proof of innocence.

It's not.

• Like 8