Deshaun Watson Suspended 6 Games; UPDATE: NFL Submitting Appeal to Increase

CBears019

This is gross. Even grosser when you read the comment about how Watson 'is only allowed to get massages from club therapists now'. Like will that make it any better? Can't we just ban a guy from ever getting a massage again? There are millions of people with their voting rights taken away for arbitrary nonsense, can't we take away a guy's 'massage rights'?

• Like 8

Just now, candyman93 said:

It’s why Goodell probably doesn’t want to be “holding the bag.”

Not sure if that makes sense on my part.

I get it, but I could also see Goodell looking tough with a modification... Holding the bag with a stern step that catches the attention of the public with a few extra games plus a fine.

Absolute worst case scenario for the NFL. 

If she gave him nothing, the NFL could hide behind the narrative that an independent arbitrator determined he broke no rules and the leagues hands are tied. If she gave him at least a year or most of a season the NFL could say “oh well it’s close enough, let’s just end it here”. 

She basically said he definitely did something wrong and should get punished and shouldn’t be allowed to get massages outside of his club, but only gave him less than half a season. So now the media is going to jump in on it and say “wait you found him guilty but it’s only worth about a third of the season for all these sexual assaults”? 

Now all eyes are on the NFL and in a “okay what are you guys going to do”. Because everyone knows the league has final say on appeal. Literally all the pressure is back on them now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

What’s the incentive to appeal though, other than public pressure?

That's literally the only reason why. See how the public responds - if people say it's reasonable, step aside. If people hoot and holler, take a 2nd look.

39 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Don’t get me wrong I hear you and get it, but without “proof” on one and with proof on another combined with the potential for throwing games that’s why.

That and the fact that anybody paying close attention to how big business works--messing with the money is the biggest crime you can commit.

Pete Rose is vilified to this very day for betting on games and viewed as 10x the monster than a guy like Ray Lewis who murdered a guy and everyone loves.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Now all eyes are on the NFL and in a “okay what are you guys going to do”. Because everyone knows the league has final say on appeal. Literally all the pressure is back on them now. 

I see this under two lenses:

- The league can defer to this decision and say "see, NFLPA? We're being fair by letting outside counsel decide this punishment, now concede 18 game seasons." Creating goodwill with labor is always in the best interest of the owners.

- The league can see this, put on their big boy pants and say "not on my watch" like some spaghetti western and tack on a few games + a fine. Then the league looks tough against DV claims, creating goodwill with fanbases sensitive to these sort of allegations.

• Like 1

Watson will be looked at like how Big Ben was looked at after his accusation. Some people will never look at him the same and some will forget what happened 

Either way he’s a weirdo

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1