2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The top end comparison for me is Roddy White...Rice isn't the biggest or fastest, but he is smooth and smart knowing how to get open...that was always White's greatest strength IMO.

Man, I would love this team to add a Roddy White…

Riffing away from Rice, am I the only one who thinks it would make sense for JSN to return to college for another year after he’s basically missed all of this year with lingering hamstring issues? Every WR is gonna be competing behind Harrison Jr. for WR2 next year, and after Jordan Addison declares and leaves for the NFL he’d make so much sense catching passes at USC next year from Caleb Williams. Hell, he’d probably make as much at USC post-transfer via NIL as he would as a NFL rookie anyway. While he was most peoples’ clear cut WR1 preseason I’m not convinced he hasn’t fallen back closer to the pack because of the injuries this year. 

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

White ran close to a 4.40 I think. I don't believe Rice will run that fast

I don’t think he runs that fast either…I also never felt White played that fast…he was a volume guy who just found a way to make things easy for a QB and that is the most important thing for me right now…who makes life easiest for Fields? I reckon this guy can do that.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Man, I would love this team to add a Roddy White…

Riffing away from Rice, am I the only one who thinks it would make sense for JSN to return to college for another year after he’s basically missed all of this year with lingering hamstring issues? Every WR is gonna be competing behind Harrison Jr. for WR2 next year, and after Jordan Addison declares and leaves for the NFL he’d make so much sense catching passes at USC next year from Caleb Williams. Hell, he’d probably make as much at USC post-transfer via NIL as he would as a NFL rookie anyway. While he was most peoples’ clear cut WR1 preseason I’m not convinced he hasn’t fallen back closer to the pack because of the injuries this year. 

Yeah unless there are other factors like grades or money then JSN should go back if he has any faith in Ohio States next QB…doubt he will but he should.

I don't know if it's because we are so bad at so many different spots right now but the deeper I get into evaluating some of these mid round prospects the more and more guys I see who I think could really help us...we clearly aren't a star player or two away from being a real contender so part of me is thinking to trade down early and often then bring in as many good players to fill our starter & depth needs rather than trying to have 1 swing at a superstar...next year once we have a roster full of good players then try and swing for superstars.

• Like 1

Just now, beardown3231 said:

In many ways I think this is a great decision for him...with how dominant he already is think of him with another year in the weight room & with more experience under his belt...NIL & I am sure a very hefty insurance policy will protect him against injury.

I mean a single year at a top 15 draft pick's pay rate will almost assuredly earn him more $$ than his entire career with any degree..... It's NEVER a good decision for a consensus first rounder to stay in school imo.

Go back and do school after you're used up, if you really want the (increasingly useless) degree, you'll be able to afford it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I mean a single year at a top 15 draft pick's pay rate will almost assuredly earn him more $$ than his entire career with any degree..... It's NEVER a good decision for a consensus first rounder to stay in school imo.

Go back and do school after you're used up, if you really want the (increasingly useless) degree, you'll be able to afford it.

That’s kind of where I’m at on this.  I think as it gets closer to the deadline to declare he might change his tune if he hears some whispers about being a top 10 or top 5 pick.  It’s still early.

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

That’s kind of where I’m at on this.  I think as it gets closer to the deadline to declare he might change his tune if he hears some whispers about being a top 10 or top 5 pick.  It’s still early.

I think my stance has changed a bit thanks to NIL money. Idk how much a non-skills position player makes, but he’s making money now regardless of his choice here as a college athlete. While I’d personally go pro as soon as it was viable if I were in his shoes, I can understand not being in a hurry 

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I think my stance has changed a bit thanks to NIL money. Idk how much a non-skills position player makes, but he’s making money now regardless of his choice here as a college athlete. While I’d personally go pro as soon as it was viable if I were in his shoes, I can understand not being in a hurry 

This is how I see it too. And let’s not forget that while he’s super talented he’s also only made 9 starts which may work against him when comparing him to the other top tackles in this class, notably Paris Johnson Jr. and Peter Skoronski, both of whom have also been dominant LTs in the same conference against the same competition. Fashanu would almost surely be a 1st rounder this year, but not the consensus top guy. However, after another year of high level college play he probably would be the consensus top LT, and may be a top 3 pick in 2024. The 15th pick in 2022 (Kenyon Green) got $15.9M fully guaranteed, but the 3rd pick (Derek Stingley Jr.) got $34.6M fully guaranteed. That’s not insignificant. 

Plus, there’s something to be said for actually enjoying the college experience while you can too. There’s a price on that for sure (as with anything), but with NIL that line is a little more obscure than it used to be. 

13 hours ago, Epyon said:

he's a 19 year old college kid. maybe he just really enjoys being a star football player in college, while also getting paid, getting more than 9 games experience, and going pro with much more experience. money isn't everything

15 hours ago, Epyon said:

It'll still be free then too. Part of the scholarships now are that they are covered for X amount of years even if they leave for the pros.