2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

Curious - if we end up with the 2nd pick, would anyone else be not upset if we just stayed there and took Will Anderson? I’m super high on Anderson as a prospect and I wouldn’t hate just taking him and getting what I think is the best prospect in the draft regardless of position, especially given the importance of edge rushers, our desperate need at the position and the lack of any good ones coming up in FA. 

Wouldn't be upset at all.... as long as they think Anderson is far and away above the other guys Murphy, Verse, and Wilson who could probably be had on a small trade down. Ditto that for Carter-3t compared to the other potential 3t in the draft.

That said, and as I said before, I think this draft lacks in elite level top 10 talent, but has something like 60 players who would be "1st round grades" in most draft years.... I'd personally rather still trade down and get multiple picks for that draft range.

Like Anderson-Edge looks like a monster, but is he really better than Tyree Wilson-Edge and say Tyler Davis-3t COMBINED?

If we're getting a guy that high, I want healthy Khalil Mack's first game with us levels of taking over a game.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Curious - if we end up with the 2nd pick, would anyone else be not upset if we just stayed there and took Will Anderson? I’m super high on Anderson as a prospect and I wouldn’t hate just taking him and getting what I think is the best prospect in the draft regardless of position, especially given the importance of edge rushers, our desperate need at the position and the lack of any good ones coming up in FA. 

Anderson was awesome last year but I've watched a ton of him this year and it's all been underwhelming. He also misses a lot of tackles. Obviously that stuff can be taught but it worries me that his game has taken a step back

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

Wouldn't be upset at all.... as long as they think Anderson is far and away above the other guys Murphy, Verse, and Wilson who could probably be had on a small trade down. Ditto that for Carter-3t compared to the other potential 3t in the draft.

That said, and as I said before, I think this draft lacks in elite level top 10 talent, but has something like 60 players who would be "1st round grades" in most draft years.... I'd personally rather still trade down and get multiple picks for that draft range.

Like Anderson-Edge looks like a monster, but is he really better than Tyree Wilson-Edge and say Tyler Davis-3t COMBINED?

If we're getting a guy that high, I want healthy Khalil Mack's first game with us levels of taking over a game.

Give me the choice of either one of the consensus top 2 guys on D (*where would they rank in stronger drafts? Teens?) or two swings in the first round I'll take the extra swings, especially if there are future or later round bonus picks. If you were to say give me young Von Miller or give me David Bakhtiari and a Deebo Samuel I'll build the offense every time.  You can kvetch about drafting for need but given the shallow and young nature of the team,  "MORE" is a need you can't ignore. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Give me the choice of either one of the consensus top 2 guys on D (*where would they rank in stronger drafts? Teens?) or two swings in the first round I'll take the extra swings, especially if there are future or later round bonus picks. If you were to say give me young Von Miller or give me David Bakhtiari and a Deebo Samuel I'll build the offense every time.  You can kvetch about drafting for need but given the shallow and young nature of the team,  "MORE" is a need you can't ignore. 

Anderson and Carter are top 7-8 picks in any draft. Carter's athleticism is off the charts for someone his size & Anderson has been a consensus top 5 pick since his freshman year

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I posed the initial question with the caveat that landing Anderson in lieu of a trade down wouldn’t upset me (because I think he’s the best player in the draft and is a high floor high ceiling guy), but I’d rather have more too given where we are roster-wise. With that, I wouldn’t want to trade down too far either without an insanely high return because we need elite players, not just players.

If we end up at 2 as posed in my initial question, for example, I wouldn’t want to trade down out of the top 4 without getting a future 1 out of the deal. At the same time, if we do trade down from, say, 2 to 7, I wouldn’t oppose trading down again into 12-15 range either. If we’re not getting a top 4 player (2 of whom are QBs we don’t need anyway) then I want as many of the 10-60 guys this and next year as we can get. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Anderson and Carter are top 7-8 picks in any draft. Carter's athleticism is off the charts for someone his size & Anderson has been a consensus top 5 pick since his freshman year

I think the thing with Carter is that he is almost being held back at Georgia...Georgia line up mostly in a 3-4/4-3 LEO defence that involves a lot of 2 gapping and wall building to contain offences...Carter lines up a lot of the time directly over the guard in a 4i technique...next time any of you guys watch Georgia watch how many times Carter doesn't rush the passer...he stands up...punches...then holds his ground to stop the QB stepping up and away from the outside rush...it's only on 3rd & long he is allowed to truly show how athletic and powerful he can be in getting after the QB...

The only way I don't take him if he is still on the board is if I reckon I can trade down a bit and still get Olu Fashanu as he could be an elite LT with his tools and still add a premium pick but if not then I just take Carter and let him hold down the middle of our DL for the next 10 years.

• Like 1

A factor with Anderson as well, is his scheme fit...

The biggest number I've seen for his weight is 245lbs.  That's TINY for a 4-3 DE....  but he was also rarely used in coverage at bama and his greatest asset is pass rushing, so I'm not sure 4-3 Will is a great spot for him either..... and all of that is before accounting for a ~30% missed tackle rate.

For us to get him, you'd either have to have faith in his abilities as a 4-3 DE despite his size or use him as a "5th" man passrusher (and likely give him multiple angles to rush from)

At that size Anderson better be Micah Parsons in a 4-3.   Physics are what they are and NFL OL get hands on him it is likely going to be a problem just like it was for Floyd.  

When you get one offs like Parsons, everyone with similar trait gets compared, but it almost never happens again.

Parsons is a LB with elite pass rushing skills and can literally play either position at all-pro level.   

Different sport, but I remember every 6-5 stocky PF in college basketball got compared to Charles Barkley for about a 8 years and they were all busts or just journeymen at best.   Unicorns are unicorns.   

Every 6-4 to 6-6 guard who could jump really high was Michael Jordan too for about 9 years.    None of them were until Kobe Bryant who was closest thing.

I haven't studied prospects yet, but if he is on board and we aren't trading down I'd just as soon take Jalen Carter on reputation alone.   He is 300+ lbs, is long, isn't fat and can move.

Either take that guy and don't overthink it or trade for a QB haul.   

Anderson might be all world, but play the odds.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

A factor with Anderson as well, is his scheme fit...

The biggest number I've seen for his weight is 245lbs.  That's TINY for a 4-3 DE....  but he was also rarely used in coverage at bama and his greatest asset is pass rushing, so I'm not sure 4-3 Will is a great spot for him either..... and all of that is before accounting for a ~30% missed tackle rate.

For us to get him, you'd either have to have faith in his abilities as a 4-3 DE despite his size or use him as a "5th" man passrusher (and likely give him multiple angles to rush from)

Von Miller was 247 at this combine iirc and I believe he played a lot of 4-3 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think the thing with Carter is that he is almost being held back at Georgia...Georgia line up mostly in a 3-4/4-3 LEO defence that involves a lot of 2 gapping and wall building to contain offences...Carter lines up a lot of the time directly over the guard in a 4i technique...next time any of you guys watch Georgia watch how many times Carter doesn't rush the passer...he stands up...punches...then holds his ground to stop the QB stepping up and away from the outside rush...it's only on 3rd & long he is allowed to truly show how athletic and powerful he can be in getting after the QB...

The only way I don't take him if he is still on the board is if I reckon I can trade down a bit and still get Olu Fashanu as he could be an elite LT with his tools and still add a premium pick but if not then I just take Carter and let him hold down the middle of our DL for the next 10 years.

Fashanu is a guy high on my radar

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I like Braxton Jones and think he is clear cut our 2nd best linemen this season but Fashanu has the potential to be a truly elite LT is he continues to develop.

I like Braxton too but we need another tackle. Borom isn't it and although Leatherwood has potential the chance that he becomes a quality starter is not high but who knows, maybe he carves out a role somewhere like on the interior

27 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I like Braxton too but we need another tackle. Borom isn't it and although Leatherwood has potential the chance that he becomes a quality starter is not high but who knows, maybe he carves out a role somewhere like on the interior

IMO the only two people who might have any future on this line are Jenkins and maybe Braxton.... Everyone else can go pound sand.

I've seen enough of Borom to not want him as anything but a backup....... Musty obv sucks hard, but Lucas Patrick honestly wasn't even a strong get in FA.... dude also sucks.   And Whitehair feels acceptable as the kind of guy who is the worst OL of the front 5, but also a guy I'd be looking to upgrade from (though that's more of a gut feeling than any statistical observation of him.... and admittedly could be clouded by him being surrounded by a rookie at LT and a complete bum no matter who they throw at Center)

• Like 2