How 🔥 is McDaniels Seat?

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's just legitimately what I think is going to happen.

To be honest it legitimately looks like all 4 QB's could be gone before 7. Between the Colts, Panthers and Texans,  and I think It would be easy for the Falcons to jump 2 spots, they have 9 picks this year. 

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

To be honest it legitimately looks like all 4 QB's could be gone before 7. Between the Colts, Panthers and Texans,  and I think It would be easy for the Falcons to jump 2 spots, they have 9 picks this year. 

Unless we trade up I think there's a good chance Levis falls a little bit.

If we don't go QB high this year and have a just good enough season to avoid the top 5, you better pray we get super lucky with a team picking first again having a franchise QB in place. I.e. Jags lose Lawrence due to injury.

The only reason the Panthers got to even trade up to #1 is the extremely rare occurrence the team picking first already had a promising QB option. That is pretty unheard of. Normally the worst team sucks because they simply have no options at QB.

TLDR: If Williams + Maye still have elite seasons, the teams picking 1st and 2nd will never trade out of those spots unless they have their franchise QB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I wonder how long of a leash Davis has given Ziegler/McD. Say we truly stink and have 3 wins come week 13... do they even survive the remainder of the season?  Or is this a true "You get 2-3 full seasons to execute your vision".

Can't believe we're maybe back to this already lol.

It’s hard to tell with Mark Davis, but I think they’re gone unless 2023 looks like an improvement on 2022. And I think there’s a very good chance that it won’t.

It’ll be interesting to see the next route we take if McDaniels is canned. I’m pretty sure Ziegler will be gone as well, which means it’ll be a full overhaul. And then it’s just a case of whether we do the whole package deal GM/HC thing again or maybe go for a Harbaugh type who is basically in full control.

35 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

If we don't go QB high this year and have a just good enough season to avoid the top 5, you better pray we get super lucky with a team picking first again having a franchise QB in place. I.e. Jags lose Lawrence due to injury.

The only reason the Panthers got to even trade up to #1 is the extremely rare occurrence the team picking first already had a promising QB option. That is pretty unheard of. Normally the worst team sucks because they simply have no options at QB.

TLDR: If Williams + Maye still have elite seasons, the teams picking 1st and 2nd will never trade out of those spots unless they have their franchise QB.

Either that or one of the teams that drafts a QB early this year ends up with the first pick. Outside of the top 2 it still looks like it could be a good QB class though. Quinn Ewers, Michael Penix, and Bo Nix could all be first round guys as well.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

It’s hard to tell with Mark Davis, but I think they’re gone unless 2023 looks like an improvement on 2022. And I think there’s a very good chance that it won’t.

It’ll be interesting to see the next route we take if McDaniels is canned. I’m pretty sure Ziegler will be gone as well, which means it’ll be a full overhaul. And then it’s just a case of whether we do the whole package deal GM/HC thing again or maybe go for a Harbaugh type who is basically in full control.

Yeah, but what if they get the same 6-11 record?

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Context will be important, how competitive were we, who got hurt, how did things go in the locker room, etc.

Imo if Garoppolo get hurt, and they end up getting the same record, then I feel like that's a built-in excuse because they knew he was injury prone when they signed him

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Imo if Garoppolo get hurt, and they end up getting the same record, then I feel like that's a built-in excuse because they knew he was injury prone when they signed him

Overall I think you just want the team to show some progress next year.

Thought it was funny and I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think Josh's seat is hot. If we take a QB I think it's even less hot. If he rides with Jimmy and ends up out of reach for Caleb and Drake I think he's potentially hot seat.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Lame duck GM to me is someone that doesn't build a good roster. McKenzie made some good moves but his terrible drafts really limited us from ever being able to take the next step.

I just think your definition is slightly different then mine.  When I hear lame duck I think of the dead time of a president at the end of his office.  Thus, McKenzie only became a lame duck GM once Gruden became the HC.  Prior to that McKenzie has full opportunity to succeed, albeit he didn’t have anything to start with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trojan said:

Thought it was funny and I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think Josh's seat is hot. If we take a QB I think it's even less hot. If he rides with Jimmy and ends up out of reach for Caleb and Drake I think he's potentially hot seat.

Don't do McDaniels any favors by using a 10+ year old picture. The dude is fat and older now.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:19 PM, Nightmare said:

I totally get why this is the thought.

I’ve found this off season to be very frustrating, getting rid of Carr without any compensation, adding the underwhelming Jimmy G, giving Waller a new deal then trading him a year later, questionable FA pickups and ignoring glaring weaknesses, the seeming pivot in strategy from ‘win now’ to ‘rebuild’ etc.

However, I’ve preached patience before and I think we have to be patient enough to see the bigger picture here. I want to see a plan or a structure moving forward, see what they are aiming to do. I think we have to give them the season at least and not only see how we play but see how the roster, cap and draft picks looks like at the end of the season. I want to see a direction and progress in that direction.

Now, that being said, if we start to lose again and lose badly the FO are in danger of losing the locker room and that is the real danger here I feel as if that happens then they have to be sacked. It’s very difficult not to judge harshly but I need to give them more time to start seeing the plan (if there is one) start to come to fruition.

I’m not optimistic anymore however.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 2:51 AM, Darbsk said:

I totally get why this is the thought.

I’ve found this off season to be very frustrating, getting rid of Carr without any compensation, adding the underwhelming Jimmy G, giving Waller a new deal then trading him a year later, questionable FA pickups and ignoring glaring weaknesses, the seeming pivot in strategy from ‘win now’ to ‘rebuild’ etc.

However, I’ve preached patience before and I think we have to be patient enough to see the bigger picture here. I want to see a plan or a structure moving forward, see what they are aiming to do. I think we have to give them the season at least and not only see how we play but see how the roster, cap and draft picks looks like at the end of the season. I want to see a direction and progress in that direction.

Now, that being said, if we start to lose again and lose badly the FO are in danger of losing the locker room and that is the real danger here I feel as if that happens then they have to be sacked. It’s very difficult not to judge harshly but I need to give them more time to start seeing the plan (if there is one) start to come to fruition.

I’m not optimistic anymore however.

If we actually hit the draft for once, this will all go away.