Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

36 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Question for you guys. How far back would you be willing to trade in this year's draft? What should the cut off point be? Is there a package that could be offered for us to trade as far back as the end of the first or top of the 2nd? Just curious.

A lot would depend on FA...right now I would say #9 at a push...#7 would make me feel more comfortable simply because I can see 4 DL & 3 QBs going in that top 7...if the Raiders moved up to #1...

#1...Raiders...QB Bryce Young

#2...Texans...QB CJ Stroud

#3...Cardinals...Edge Will Anderson

#4...Colts...QB Will Levis

#5 Seahawks/#6 Lions/#7 Bears...left with Jalen Carter/Tyree Wilson/Myles Murphy in some order...if we came away with one of those DL plus a draft haul then I think that would be a great spot to attack the draft over multiple years.

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Question for you guys. How far back would you be willing to trade in this year's draft? What should the cut off point be? Is there a package that could be offered for us to trade as far back as the end of the first or top of the 2nd? Just curious.

I’m more open than most fans, I figure if we dropped to the bottom part of the round we’d get an absolute haul. Which would be fantastic because there is a freakish amount of depth in several positions in the draft that would otherwise not be available to us. There are a handful of upper echelon edge talents that will be lost to us by trading down, but trading down opens the door to great WR, OL, LB, and some DL in the second. It boils down to what is more valuable to you: a potential freak defensive talent or several very promising starters later than that (and future years draft capital). 

but things to consider:

•trading down at all limits odds of getting our guy if the goal is to get Anderson or Carter. which isn’t terribly offputting for me because each of them have worrisome red flags for me 

•trading down in the top ten is one of the best options. It still likely guarantees us one of the top 3 edge or top 2 DT, and a few of the top ten teams right now stand to have bad records in the 2023-24 season too. 
•trading down further than that is a bit more of a gamble, you have to be more accepting of going BPA at that point, and the odds of having a worthwhile top pick next season dwindles a bit, but the rams this year showed the success had in the prior year doesn’t mean everything. 
•trading down twice is the goal for me, especially if we can pull it off in the top 10 lol. We all have invented this fantasy where we pull off a Herschel Walker heist for the first pick that probably doesn’t come close to fruition, but this is the life simulation I want to be living in. 

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I’m more open than most fans, I figure if we dropped to the bottom part of the round we’d get an absolute haul. Which would be fantastic because there is a freakish amount of depth in several positions in the draft that would otherwise not be available to us. There are a handful of upper echelon edge talents that will be lost to us by trading down, but trading down opens the door to great WR, OL, LB, and some DL in the second. It boils down to what is more valuable to you: a potential freak defensive talent or several very promising starters later than that (and future years draft capital). 

but things to consider:

•trading down at all limits odds of getting our guy if the goal is to get Anderson or Carter. which isn’t terribly offputting for me because each of them have worrisome red flags for me 

•trading down in the top ten is one of the best options. It still likely guarantees us one of the top 3 edge or top 2 DT, and a few of the top ten teams right now stand to have bad records in the 2023-24 season too. 
•trading down further than that is a bit more of a gamble, you have to be more accepting of going BPA at that point, and the odds of having a worthwhile top pick next season dwindles a bit, but the rams this year showed the success had in the prior year doesn’t mean everything. 
•trading down twice is the goal for me, especially if we can pull it off in the top 10 lol. We all have invented this fantasy where we pull off a Herschel Walker heist for the first pick that probably doesn’t come close to fruition, but this is the life simulation I want to be living in. 

If we go beyond 9 I agree it would need a massive haul, but for me to go beyond 9 I’d need picks and players in the deal. I think it’s far less likely we get a team who’s willing to somewhat gut their roster to get a rookie QB they themselves may not then be able to properly support. Not many teams could really give players without setting the QB up to fail completely. Say for instance WSH were to trade us their 1 (16) and 2 (47) this year, their 1 and 2 next year, plus Terry McLaurin (they’d still have Curtis Samuel and Jahan Dotson at WR) and Antonio Gibson (they’d still have Brian Robinson at RB), is that enough? That values McLaurin at about a mid 1 on the chart and Gibson as a 4th/5th rounder.

Is 2023 pick 47, 2024 1 and 2 (probably in the 2nd half of the rounds), a 28-year old legit WR1 and a RB1A on the last year of his deal enough to move from 1 all the way to 16? My gut says… maybe? Is less draft capital worth more of a known strong asset (speaking about McLaurin specifically)? 16 puts us out of range for the top 3 DEs and probably top 2 DTs but right in range for one of the top CBs or an OL. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Is 2023 pick 47, 2024 1 and 2 (probably in the 2nd half of the rounds), a 28-year old legit WR1 and a RB1A on the last year of his deal enough to move from 1 all the way to 16? My gut says… maybe? Is less draft capital worth more of a known strong asset (speaking about McLaurin specifically)? 16 puts us out of range for the top 3 DEs and probably top 2 DTs but right in range for one of the top CBs or an OL. 

But also have to imagine the commanders end up with a top 12 or so pick next year if they trade their entire offense away and have a rookie at qb to show for it. Idk if I’d go for that particular trade myself though unless it was the second trade down. It still seems like a little for a lot. But scary Terry would be the first fun to watch receiver in Chicago since…BMarsh?

I do wonder if it’s in our best interest to waste one of our picks on a rb. It just seems easy now to get a competent guy later in the draft, destroy his body, and then move on to the next rookie contract rather than dumping $9-14m a year on a competent established free agent back. 

46 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I do wonder if it’s in our best interest to waste one of our picks on a rb. It just seems easy now to get a competent guy later in the draft, destroy his body, and then move on to the next rookie contract rather than dumping $9-14m a year on a competent established free agent back. 

I suppose it depends on what you consider to be “a competent established free agent back,” I but you should be able to get a fully capable established FA RB 1A/1B to pair with Herbert in FA for about half of that. David Montgomery fits that definition for me but I can’t see any way he gets anything close to the numbers you mentioned. I think he’s probably looking at a deal in the neighborhood of 2/$10M, and maybe less in a saturated FA RB market. Other guys I’d say are “competent established free agent backs” in that Montgomery money range this cycle are Jamaal Williams, Mostert and Damien Harris. Any of those guys on a short deal in a committee with Herbert and a late round draft pick (I’ve already seen enough of Ebner) would be fully sufficient IMO. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I suppose it depends on what you consider to be “a competent established free agent back,” I but you should be able to get a fully capable established FA RB 1A/1B to pair with Herbert in FA for about half of that. David Montgomery fits that definition for me but I can’t see any way he gets anything close to the numbers you mentioned. I think he’s probably looking at a deal in the neighborhood of 2/$10M, and maybe less in a saturated FA RB market. Other guys I’d say are “competent established free agent backs” in that Montgomery money range this cycle are Jamaal Williams, Mostert and Damien Harris. Any of those guys on a short deal in a committee with Herbert and a late round draft pick (I’ve already seen enough of Ebner) would be fully sufficient IMO. 

Yeah, $9-14 was an overshoot, but it was the range projected by spotrac’s free agency projection (Tony Pollard at $9m) mixed with what Saquon was offered and turned down ($12m) and what he wants ($14m) after what CMC got ($16m). Hunt, Sanders, and Monty all sit at $7m projected which isn’t too bad but isn’t quite the level of rb I’m referring to. It’s an arbitrary argument on my part. I guess I’m more or less saying I’d rather just plug in an unknown from the draft than attain or retain an elite talent that wants to get paid. My opinion will probably change if we ever stop being okay at running the ball but we have had a pretty okay run of getting talent in the draft and not having to pay them since they Forte days ended. Barkley would look good in a bears jersey though. 

33 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Yeah, $9-14 was an overshoot, but it was the range projected by spotrac’s free agency projection (Tony Pollard at $9m) mixed with what Saquon was offered and turned down ($12m) and what he wants ($14m) after what CMC got ($16m). Hunt, Sanders, and Monty all sit at $7m projected which isn’t too bad but isn’t quite the level of rb I’m referring to. It’s an arbitrary argument on my part. I guess I’m more or less saying I’d rather just plug in an unknown from the draft than attain or retain an elite talent that wants to get paid. My opinion will probably change if we ever stop being okay at running the ball but we have had a pretty okay run of getting talent in the draft and not having to pay them since they Forte days ended. Barkley would look good in a bears jersey though. 

I know you’re only talking financials, but Hunt looked completely washed up this year.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 12:20 AM, chisoxguy7 said:

I know you’re only talking financials, but Hunt looked completely washed up this year.

I mentioned that on here too. Guy didn't even look like the same person. It almost was like the drop off when watching Le'Veon Bell after he came back from missing that season. Still not someone you wouldn't want on your team, but he went from bellcow to an average RB2 at best. I wouldn't even look Hunt's way this year.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:47 PM, Ty21 said:

Barkley would look good in a bears jersey though. 

Someone tweeted out today something about who’s your favorite guy you’re essentially sure won’t end up on the Bears, and for me it’s Bijan Robinson. RB being devalued as it is will have him slide, but he’s very similar to Saquon stylistically. I LOVE the idea of him paired with Fields on RPOs and zone reads. He has power, agility, speed and is an asset in the passing game, and because of how the league views RBs there’s a pretty real chance he ends up getting drafted to a 2022 playoff team in the bottom half of the first round and gives them a stud back with 5 years of control. 

• Like 1