Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

My gut is telling me Lamar Jackson gets tagged then traded this offseason. There just seem to be some impassible issues there, and now we’re starting to see leaks about his lack of diligence in rehab, he’s not traveling with the team to a road playoff game, etc.

IF they move him, ATL makes the most sense to me. This could be a tag/trade or even a non-exclusive franchise tag with an offer sheet. ATL has $70M in cap space, a top 10 pick, and a team already set up for a mobile QB. Lamar gets a fresh start on a team with young offensive skill position talent already in place and a pretty solid OL. BAL gets 2 1st round picks, at least one in the top 10, for a QB they seemingly don’t want to commit to long term.

The obvious next step here (since this is a Bears thread) is, would BAL then turn around and trade up to #1 for their QB replacement? They’re a win now team with a good support system in place for a young QB like Bryce Young (good run game, good OL, elite TE, really good defense). With a rookie contract QB for the next 5 years they could make some serious noise too.

Per the draft chart, picks 8 (ATL) and 22 (BAL’s own pick) are worth 2280 points. Would BAL consider flipping those Lamar picks to us in that scenario?

BAL gets 1-1

We get 1-8, 1-22, BAL’s own 2024 1st (probably the lower of their 2 1sts next year) and a player like Isaiah Likely.

It seems like lot for BAL to give up on its face, but effectively they’d be trading Lamar and their TE2 to be able to draft QB1 this year and better draft position in the 2024 1st round. We’d get 2 1s and a player with huge upside at a need spot for us to move down 7 spots and still get one of the top 3 pass rushers, DT2, CB1, OT1 or WR1.

This is 99.4% not happening. But it seems to me like something that works well for all 3 involved teams. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

My gut is telling me Lamar Jackson gets tagged then traded this offseason. There just seem to be some impassible issues there, and now we’re starting to see leaks about his lack of diligence in rehab, he’s not traveling with the team to a road playoff game, etc.

The Impossible Issue is that he wants everything Guaranteed. So far the only team to ever be desperate enough to do that is the Browns, not sure any other Owner/GM in the league is willing to do that for anyone, especially with Lamar, coming off a knee injury, and not showing up with his team.

IFF they were to send him anywhere, youd think they would either be looking for a Vet, as they are Win Now. But they would also be a perfect spot for Young, who might not be "full of potential" but is ready made from Alabama

30 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

IF they move him, ATL makes the most sense to me. This could be a tag/trade or even a non-exclusive franchise tag with an offer sheet. ATL has $70M in cap space, a top 10 pick, and a team already set up for a mobile QB. Lamar gets a fresh start on a team with young offensive skill position talent already in place and a pretty solid OL. BAL gets 2 1st round picks, at least one in the top 10, for a QB they seemingly don’t want to commit to long term.

The obvious next step here (since this is a Bears thread) is, would BAL then turn around and trade up to #1 for their QB replacement? They’re a win now team with a good support system in place for a young QB like Bryce Young (good run game, good OL, elite TE, really good defense). With a rookie contract QB for the next 5 years they could make some serious noise too.

Per the draft chart, picks 8 (ATL) and 22 (BAL’s own pick) are worth 2280 points. Would BAL consider flipping those Lamar picks to us in that scenario?

BAL gets 1-1

We get 1-8, 1-22, BAL’s own 2024 1st (probably the lower of their 2 1sts next year) and a player like Isaiah Likely.

It seems like lot for BAL to give up on its face, but effectively they’d be trading Lamar and their TE2 to be able to draft QB1 this year and better draft position in the 2024 1st round. We’d get 2 1s and a player with huge upside at a need spot for us to move down 7 spots and still get one of the top 3 pass rushers, DT2, CB1, OT1 or WR1.

This is 99.4% not happening. But it seems to me like something that works well for all 3 involved teams. 

I think Carolina makes a ton of sense too. As you said, Baltimore can then use that pick and others to go up for Levis or Stroud. Levis just seems like a Raven to me

Edited by beardown3231

45 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

CJ Stroud officially in the draft now 

Interesting what it will do for the value of that #1 overall pick…as much as it should drop the value because teams have more option Greg Gabriel made the point that teams don’t trade up for positions…they trade up for players…maybe Stroud represents the middle ground between the floor of Young & ceiling of Levi’s.

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

man, between the ballard comment and irsay being irsay, they might trade the farm to get their choice at #1

Someone needs to drop off some booze and a bag of coke at Irsay’s doorstep the day before the new league year begins.  Just to make sure he’s in prime form.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

How much would we (Bears fans) have to bribe combine officials to make sure Bryce Young measures in at at least 6’ tall? 

Gonna send Mama McNabb to his house too to fatten him up a bit til draft time  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Question for you guys. How far back would you be willing to trade in this year's draft? What should the cut off point be? Is there a package that could be offered for us to trade as far back as the end of the first or top of the 2nd? Just curious.

9 (CAR) is probably the floor for me, and we’d have to get a huge haul for me to go back that far. Going strictly off the value chart, moving down from 1 to 9 should net us from CAR 1-9, 2-39, 2-60 and their 2024 and 2025 1st round picks. I’d… be good with that lol. To take less in future year draft capital I’d want a player of value worthy of the draft capital they’d want to retain in 2024/25, like maybe Jaycee Horn. 

With that, I don’t think any of this year’s crops of QBs are 3 1st round picks levels of good as prospects.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Question for you guys. How far back would you be willing to trade in this year's draft? What should the cut off point be? Is there a package that could be offered for us to trade as far back as the end of the first or top of the 2nd? Just curious.

Ive been saying 8 for a while, just because that guarantees keeping us in the Top 5 (in my mind) defensive players along with the 3 QBs going off the board. 

But its likely that someone else goes in that group as well (OT, CB, WR) so 9 wouldnt be a deal breaker at this point either.

My current opinion is,

• if we stay at #1, its a failure. If you cant get atleast a few picks out of Houston, then Poles isnt doing his job. (and neither Anderson or Carter are "once in a lifetime" prospects that you can pass on)
  • The most advantageous trade partner is Indy at #4, should net us a good trade package as well as a Top Defensive Prospect.
  • I still think a double trade down is in the cards from either of those spots, Im not counting on it, but this would be the year to do it
  • And anything after #4 better be one heck of a package; Multiple Top 100 picks this year, plus Multiple future picks (including a 1st)
  • Like 1