Upcoming Free Agent Discussion

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Darbsk said:

I wonder if we don’t re-sign Jacobs how much a guy like Barkley would command. Jacobs is probably at his peak value now while Barkley is possibly going to be undervalued……

I saw a tweet today that he was reportedly looking for 16/yr and the Giants were more in the 12 range. I feel like that situation is just a lock for the franchise tag

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I saw a tweet today that he was reportedly looking for 16/yr and the Giants were more in the 12 range. I feel like that situation is just a lock for the franchise tag

Ooof, yeh that seems the most plausible scenario at that cost…….

Maybe RBs are starting to be viewed as more valuable after years of being undersold.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Here is the actual quote from Mike Garafolo. I haven’t heard this, so I had track it down. These rumors just spread like wildfire.

We do have Saquon Barkley who is due for a deal after the season. The Giants and Saquon Barkley’s representatives did have contract talks during the bye week but they tabled them until the offseason. From what I gathered they were pretty good discussions and gave a good starting point for where these conversations are going to be in the offseason. If he thinks he’s going to make Christian McCaffrey money upwards of $16 million a year it’s not going to get done. But if he wants to get north of where Dalvin Cook is in the 12-range, a little bit above that, then yeah I think a deal gets done. These are the two guys with the Giants that have laid the ground work to be hold-overs from the previous regime that are going to get long term deals to remain Giants with the new regime.”

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/12/giants-had-pretty-good-contract-discussions-with-saquon-barkley-christian-mccaffrey-or-dalvin-cook-money-coming.html

https://youtu.be/HBu_q1g-xME

• Like 3

This is probably the real test on how the league FOs view the position - there are some three down/franchise RBs in there, and you’ll probably see a few extra names join this list (Zeke Elliott is all but guaranteed to be joining this list). 

Each name has a concern to it, it seems - should be interesting to see how the money plays out here.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Here is the actual quote from Mike Garafolo. I haven’t heard this, so I had track it down. These rumors just spread like wildfire.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/12/giants-had-pretty-good-contract-discussions-with-saquon-barkley-christian-mccaffrey-or-dalvin-cook-money-coming.html

https://youtu.be/HBu_q1g-xME

That feels like fair value for him, eventually his injury history and availability has to factor into it. Hopefully he has a good agent who wont lie to him and say that hes worth more than 12-14m

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is probably the real test on how the league FOs view the position - there are some three down/franchise RBs in there, and you’ll probably see a few extra names join this list (Zeke Elliott is all but guaranteed to be joining this list). 

Each name has a concern to it, it seems - should be interesting to see how the money plays out here.

Cleveland is the only franchise I know that still places a high value on RBs.

Although I expect them to let Kareem Hunt walk after his half hearted effort this year. I’d love for them to give a guy like Penny a look.

14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I could see several of those names getting the Tag instead of committing long term. It really does suck how Shafted the RB position gets, contractually. Especially given the average RB career.

Yeah, I feel like most of the names that actually hit FA are gonna be guys who have been backups or stuck in committees that haven't gotten a real shot at a workhorse role. Not gonna waste a franchise tag on a backup RB lol.

I'd rather be a high end RB2 and actually make it to the negotiating table more often than not.