MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

Just now, Jakuvious said:

FWIW, "the NFL" is a very vague concept in this statement. I doubt it was like, Roger called down and said get back out there in 5 or else. It was probably just the officials on the field following their rules for continuing after a stoppage in play until they were overridden by those who recognized this was a little bit more serious than your normal injury timeout.

But when does common sense kick in? That 5 minute thing happened AFTER CPR had to be administered. 

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

FWIW, "the NFL" is a very vague concept in this statement. I doubt it was like, Roger called down and said get back out there in 5 or else. It was probably just the officials on the field following their rules for continuing after a stoppage in play until they were overridden by those who recognized this was a little bit more serious than your normal injury timeout.

Easily was likely this. 

Just now, Jakuvious said:

Thank you for rationality and reactionary spewing. There is no actual training for something like this (just like you can do an active shooter or tornado drill, but when there's an actual tornado or shooter, your mindset is in an entirely different place) those involved probably followed what the rules say because they didn't know what else to do. It's OK. Glad the correct end result was reached.

• Like 6

I just pray this man has a good quality of life after this.

I was thinking of becoming a doctor until I worked in a hospital my first year of college. The things I saw have never left me. I changed my major to law after that. Kudos to all the medical professionals that we there and provided immediate medical help. 

• Like 2

Some people here are either too sheltered or too dramatic. Work in a warehouse and you could see a forklift accident or someone have a heart attack. I once had a coworker who had an adverse reaction to the flu shot and we had to call an ambulance. 

It's horrible but something similar to this happens literally everyday in a work place somewhere in the US. The NFL is still a business that needs to run...I had a coworker pass in a motorcycle accident two years ago on a weekend and the conversation on Monday was "how do we replace him so the business keeps going'

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

The 5 minutes for me. You can’t say that when they just said they just provided CPR to a player on the field. That just felt grimy as hell to me. 

I get what you are saying 100% so I don't want this to come off as debate-ish, but when I think down this path, I tend to think  - What is a reasonable amount of time? 30 Minutes? 1 hour? Auto suspension of game? Idk.

Feels like if the attitude is "the show must go on because there is nothing we can do but pray", I don't think saying "lets take 5 minutes to regroup before getting back at it" is particularly out of line.

But again, I don't know that anything was a particularly great answer given the terrible situation, so maybe I'm just less inclined to throw blame around at this time than I should be.

• Like 3

Just now, FrantikRam said:

Some people here are either too sheltered or too dramatic. Work in a warehouse and you could see a forklift accident or someone have a heart attack. I once had a coworker who had an adverse reaction to the flu shot and we had to call an ambulance. 

It's horrible but something similar to this happens literally everyday in a work place somewhere in the US. The NFL is still a business that needs to run...I had a coworker pass in a motorcycle accident two years ago on a weekend and the conversation on Monday was "how do we replace him so the business keeps going'

Yeah buddy and all of that just being "a fact of working life" instead of an unending tragedy is bad.

17 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And I'm sorry "death" is not an acceptable job risk.

NFL, MMA, Boxing, Police Officer (and any law enforcement like FBI), Power Lines operators, Construction Workers, Military Enlisted, Pilots, Delivery Drivers that include the freeway (especially the truck drivers) and MANY MANY more jobs are aware “death” is part of the risk, although EXTREMELY rare. This is why these jobs pay well. 

Heck, I know a construction worker hit by a DUI guy who died and left behind three kids at 40 a few months ago. 

My dad was a truck driver involved in a accident that was ruled 0% his fault and been disabled the past five years. 

Many jobs have DEATH as a risk. 

It’s life. Stop blaming the NFL. The players are extremely well-compensated. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1