Week 18 Gameday(s) Discussion

TecmoSuperJoe

36 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

I care, because It's genuinely one of the most annoying things the NFL analysts do, is the constant sucking off of Rodgers. 

Thank god they are eliminated.

I'm by no means a fan of Aaron Rodgers, but he's a hall of famer, of course they hype him up. Beyond that, it's their job to promote narratives and matchups. So when the Packers start going on a run, that's a good narrative for them to run with and talk about. It also by extension helps feed the narrative of Detroit as scrappy underdogs. And it gets the attention of people like yourself that dislike Rodgers and the Packers. Ultimately, they know what they're doing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Real talk-

Are we going to just ignore how ridiculous the media has been the last two weeks about the Packers? I heard so much about how scary they are, almost making it sound like it was a shoe in for them to make the playoffs. I even heard some analysts on NFL Network and CBS Sports talking about them being potential winners of the NFC. No one even gave Detroit a fighting chance tonight. 

It is pretty hilarious seeing these analysts go crazy over Rodgers and the Packers each year, but continuing to see them fall. 

Because that's what they wanted. Doesn't matter if the Packers weren't that good this year due to "YEAH BUT GODGERS" logic. The same media that clowned on him until the end of time about off the field whatever, will about face when Aaron is in the playoffs, due to wanting to be entertained. But whatever, they're vanquished now. What's more interesting is what they're gonna do in the offseason to bolster that team. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Bravo to Mike Tomlin. Undaunted by the new 17-game slate curveball towards his legacy. The old narrative of Tomlin essentially being a mascot on the sidelines while Big Ben makes him look like a good HC seem ridiculous now. There's a reason the Rooney family has had 3 HCs in like 50 years. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

The week after Damar Hamlin, you had one team do a classless CPR celebration after a sack, and another team had 2 players shove/bump the opposing teams athletic trainer looking after an injured player

I genuinely don't know what goes through some of these guys heads

What team did the CPR thing? That’s trash

12 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

I care, because It's genuinely one of the most annoying things the NFL analysts do, is the constant sucking off of Rodgers. 

Thank god they are eliminated.

They get a pass for doing it this season because he's the reigning MVP.  And I, too, find it annoying, but let's not like Rodgers is the only one they do it for.  Every third word out of Cris Collinsworth mouth during any Chiefs game on NBC is "Mahomes."  John Madden had a unique manner of delivering quality content of commentary that also had every-man appeal; too many commentators nowadays try to do a poor facsimile of Madden, no doubt under guidance from the networks to tug at that every-man/layman hook.  And the layman doesn't really understand the intricacies of the game, nor do they care.  The every-man is tribal (even moreso prone to it these days) and has been cultivated to care far more about the stars of the game ("the big names") than the standouts.

Honestly, ever since media contracts became such a big money-maker for the NFL, this has been the trend among NFL commentators and analysts - they're there more as agents of marketing than they are agents of critical analysis.  Just some of the more prominent ones of late are really, really bad at hiding what they're doing.

Where would Bills/Chiefs be played? Why haven't they announced it yet? Since Indy and Det are unavailable, it would appear Chicago (pending weather) or Atlanta would all come into play. I don't think they'd go Nashville. What about Jerry World, assuming Dallas is eliminated early? Best option would be Atlanta so the weather cannot impact. Then again, they may want a winter-esque type of game.

7 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Where would Bills/Chiefs be played? Why haven't they announced it yet? Since Indy and Det are unavailable, it would appear Chicago (pending weather) or Atlanta would all come into play. I don't think they'd go Nashville. What about Jerry World, assuming Dallas is eliminated early? Best option would be Atlanta so the weather cannot impact. Then again, they may want a winter-esque type of game.

I think they want a close-ish option to the 2 cities. That is why Indy and Det made the most sense. Don't think they want to do either Dallas or Atlanta due to travel. The next best options imo are Tennessee or Minnesota.

17 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

The week after Damar Hamlin, you had one team do a classless CPR celebration after a sack, and another team had 2 players shove/bump the opposing teams athletic trainer looking after an injured player

I genuinely don't know what goes through some of these guys heads

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2023/01/09/steelers-lb-alex-highsmith-cpr-sack-celebration-was-not-intentional-in-light-of-damar-hamlin-incident/stories/202301090085

Look Highsmith said he didn't mean to

I haven't had a chance to find Demarvin's response who was the one that actually did the motion, but Highsmith said it wasn't a premeditated celebration. 

Tone deaf yes, but like I said it's not like that type of celebration hasn't been out for years. They werent thinking at the time I'm not gonna hold it against them. You're playing football 100 miles an hour it was just a quick response. 

Now what Quay Walker did was all out wrong. I take much more offense to that than to Highsmith. 

15 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Now what Quay Walker did was all out wrong. I take much more offense to that than to Highsmith. 

Lets not forget to include Devonte Wyatt in with Walker. He should have been tossed too. Don't know how the NFL reviewed the incident and only disqualified Walker.

• Like 1