Wild Card Round: Giants (9-7-1) at VIKINGS (13-4)

swede700

34 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Don’t have interest in watching parts of the game again.

Pressure was there and he had to throw it when he did, no?

If so:

Were there any other receivers open? 

If not, at least he gave Hock a fighting chance (whoever slim).

A fighting chance sure. Has JJ ever mad a great contested catch? Thielen? It’s probably not all on Kirk, but that play Hock should never had had around that short of the sticks.

I just wish we would have kept the 4-3. The change-up really affected our front-7 and not for the better. Ed Donatell was disappointing. The crossing routes were open all game long. And then you had Jones running constantly in the 1st half -- some by clever design. The Giants really had this defense figured out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

A fighting chance sure. Has JJ ever mad a great contested catch? Thielen? It’s probably not all on Kirk, but that play Hock should never had had around that short of the sticks.

I saw a dots gif of the play. Whoever ran a post up the seam was open enough.

1 minute ago, Duluther said:

I saw a dots gif of the play. Whoever ran a post up the seam was open enough.

Not really with where the pressure was coming from. 

What had the higher probability, Hockenson breaking a tackle one on one? Or Jefferson winning against triple coverage? Because based on the pressure up the middle, those were Cousins’ only realistic options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

The issues on defense weren’t the result of switching to a 3-4 vs a 4-3. 

In 2022 2nd worst in yards allowed per game, 2nd worst in passing yards allowed per game, 13th worst in rushing yards allowed per game and 3rd worst in points allowed per game.

In 2021 3rd worst in yards allowed per game, 5th worst in passing yards allowed per game, 7th worst in rush yards allowed per game and 9th worst in points allowed per game.

One is worst than the other, sure Kendricks and Hicks got a lot of tackles but they were meaningless because the ball was moved constantly on them and not a ton of dudes made plays that stopped drives.  Z.Smith and Hunter both got 10 sacks, again so what ultimately teams still scored on them and moved the ball easily.  Had two guys with 5 INTs in Harrison Smith and Peterson, again great but did not really matter in the end.

The secondary was bad in 2021, was arguably worst in 2022 but they did have major injuries.  They also made potentially major errors in the draft and got certain guys and did not get other guys at the same spot.  The DL was very weak and not very impactful.  

Great defenses do not have weak links.  Take the Ravens they are solid at every level front to back.  Vikings need to get real corners because Peterson is not the answer and sadly who knows if Dantzler or Booth will be either honestly.  They need to become a complete team not just an offensive team and again they lost the game because the Giants were a more physical team on both sides of the ball.

Ed Donatell I would get rid of because the energy on the defense and the results of the play is just not up to par.  I never liked him before and I like him even less now.  Clearly Vic Fangio was the reason Denver had that solid D the year before along with a few others, not Ed Donatell.  Odd but Vikings get rid of Andre Patterson and he did amazing things on the Giants and that DL played motivated and inspired football, the Vikings did not.  Maybe he should have been the DC or at least kept on the DL and assistant head coach spot.  Rather have him than the former Packer coaches they brought in.  

8 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Anyone have caps if there was actually anything remotely available North of the sticks?

Doesn't really matter, if Dexter Lawrence was not called for roughing the QB on Kirk a few plays earlier which was nuts, the Giants would have won or if Slayton did not drop the ball when the Giants had it...they would have won that way as well.  

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Sorry. I forgot that we can just think real hard and draft the next Tom Brady. Silly Vikings. Why didn’t they try that before? 

Nonsense.

You know what you have with Cousins, and if an option becomes available to you that is a better option than what you currently have, you take it. Whether it’s through the draft or trading for someone, if a better QB is accessible, they could do that. Not sure where the sarcasm is coming from. You’re the one that looks silly completely dismissing a completely logical move. 

Again, I am a fan of this year’s Cousins.  He’s done quite well. However, you don’t just stick with something because you’re scared to move on.  You just don’t. Turn over every rock and look around every corner. Your entire future depends on doing your job and not just sticking with competency at the QB. Pretty sure anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. 

53 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Nonsense.

You know what you have with Cousins, and if an option becomes available to you that is a better option than what you currently have, you take it. Whether it’s through the draft or trading for someone, if a better QB is accessible, they could do that. Not sure where the sarcasm is coming from. You’re the one that looks silly completely dismissing a completely logical move. 

Again, I am a fan of this year’s Cousins.  He’s done quite well. However, you don’t just stick with something because you’re scared to move on.  You just don’t. Turn over every rock and look around every corner. Your entire future depends on doing your job and not just sticking with competency at the QB. Pretty sure anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. 

Which better QB is available in trade? What can they trade, having almost no picks?