What are some things the Packers could/should do in the 2023 off season?

svp

3 minutes ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

Well , the really funny thing is opinions are like a##holes and everyone has one ! I just don't think Lazard is worth the kind of money he wants and I certainly don't want to spend money on a slow wr just because he can block !

We're not talking about is he worth spending money on him.  We're talking about him being a WR4 or WR5 on any team.  Name me a SINGLE player who is a WR4 or WR5 that's CLEARLY better than Allen Lazard.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're not talking about is he worth spending money on him.  We're talking about him being a WR4 or WR5 on any team.  Name me a SINGLE player who is a WR4 or WR5 that's CLEARLY better than Allen Lazard.

Its obvious that you hold him in higher regard than I do , not going to take the time to look, for it will all be subjective just like our takes on Lazard ! 

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Lazard was 38th in yards per game, tied for 23rd in TD receptions, and 53rd in yards per target.  All of which suggest that he is more than a WR 4 or 5. 

People talk about him like he is an all time bum.  He just isn't a slam dunk number 1.

Doubt stats matter to those kind of people since they can say his production all game from being forced into lineups.

12 minutes ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

Its obvious that you hold him in higher regard than I do , not going to take the time to look, for it will all be subjective just like our takes on Lazard ! 

He's a low-end #2, high-end #3.  LIS, find me a SINGLE WR4 or WR5 that is clearly better than him.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Sometimes this forum amuses me, and this isn't one of those.  Lazard isn't a WR4 or WR5 on any team that isn't a Madden team with the salary cap turned off.

Lazard could certainly be a 4-5 and probably even a 3 in some offenses that are run-first. But the notion of him ever being a 1-2 was always laughable and people here tried to convince themselves it was possible because Gute said so. His handling of the WR position was botched from the moment he traded Adams and along with Rodgers' regression, contributed to our poor offense for most of the season. 

Watson and Doubs have shown some promise, but I don't care who plays QB in 2023, Gute better add some better talent at WR and/or TE if we want to be a contender again. The days of Lazard, Cobb, Watkins and Tonyan plodding around like they're walking in mud need to be over. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Lazard could certainly be a 4-5 and probably even a 3 in some offenses that are run-first. But the notion of him ever being a 1-2 was always laughable and people here tried to convince themselves it was possible because Gute said so. His handling of the WR position was botched from the moment he traded Adams and along with Rodgers' regression, contributed to our poor offense for most of the season. 

Watson and Doubs have shown some promise, but I don't care who plays QB in 2023, Gute better add some better talent at WR and/or TE if we want to be a contender again. The days of Lazard, Cobb, Watkins and Tonyan plodding around like they're walking in mud need to be over. 

I stand by my original comment, who has as WR4 or WR5 that is clearly better than Allen Lazard?

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Lazard was 38th in yards per game, tied for 23rd in TD receptions, and 53rd in yards per target.  All of which suggest that he is more than a WR 4 or 5. 

People talk about him like he is an all time bum.  He just isn't a slam dunk number 1.

Not a bum but he was our starter!  Should have better numbers with all those snaps. 

AR listed all the players he wants back - M. Lewis, Cobb, Baktiari, Lazard, Tonyan - he knows the GBP can’t afford it because he has all the GBP $. 

He could restructure his own contract - like Favre did, like Brady did, like Aikman did.     To keep them around.     

But I suspect he’s only trying to inflate their value for FA.    He know’s he’s got his $.    Probably promised them he’d do what he could.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Starchisaga said:

AR listed all the players he wants back - M. Lewis, Cobb, Baktiari, Lazard, Tonyan - he knows the GBP can’t afford it because he has all the GBP $. 

He could restructure his own contract - like Favre did, like Brady did, like Aikman did.     To keep them around.     

But I suspect he’s only trying to inflate their value for FA.    He know’s he’s got his $.    Probably promised them he’d do what he could.   

Yup. And part of me suspects it's a way to give himself permission to request a trade. He's asking for the impossible because he knows GB won't go for it. I somewhat think he wants a way out. At least partially 

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

Yup. And part of me suspects it's a way to give himself permission to request a trade. He's asking for the impossible because he knows GB won't go for it. I somewhat think he wants a way out. At least partially 

I agree with this in general, especially the part about asking for the impossible from GB, but I actually think he's so ...i don't know, self centered or fragile (look at the way the guy has carried a grudge against people who say things that make him unhappy-like "oh, I thought you'd be taller/bigger") that what he really wants to do is try to control the public relations aspect of his dealings with the team.  I kind of don't know if he really wants a way out or if he really just doesn't want to accept any portion of the responsibility if he moves on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I stand by my original comment, who has as WR4 or WR5 that is clearly better than Allen Lazard?

Just to dive into stupid, I checked.  He'd be the #4 for Cincinnati, maybe NE, maybe WAS, and arguably DET if you simultaneously believe in Jameson Williams and DJ Chark.

But he'd be the best ******* WR4 in the league.

6 hours ago, DamSamn said:

I agree with this in general, especially the part about asking for the impossible from GB, but I actually think he's so ...i don't know, self centered or fragile (look at the way the guy has carried a grudge against people who say things that make him unhappy-like "oh, I thought you'd be taller/bigger") that what he really wants to do is try to control the public relations aspect of his dealings with the team.  I kind of don't know if he really wants a way out or if he really just doesn't want to accept any portion of the responsibility if he moves on.

Well said

11 hours ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

Well , the really funny thing is opinions are like a##holes and everyone has one ! I just don't think Lazard is worth the kind of money he wants and I certainly don't want to spend money on a slow wr just because he can block !

I'm with @CWood21

I value Lazard much, much more than you do. I admit he doesn't have much speed, but as I said before, he has excellent height and weight, good hands, is where he should be on routes and has reliable availability (ie health). That's in addition to great blocking.

If you think his skillset and health are worth nothing more than a 4th or 5th WR .................................................................I don't really know what to say.

If you'd said 3rd WR you would be closer. I'd rate him as about a two and a half WR, taking everything into consideration.

I've said before (and I'll repeat it), you can win with more than speed, so while it certainly helps, it isn't the be-all and end-all. Height helps, weight helps, good hands helps, good route-running helps, availability is usually underestimated, but still important.

The entire picture is more than just the little figure painted in the middle of it.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive