2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Call me crazy considering the Panthers recent luck with other teams QBs recently, but depending on the price, I would love this for us.  Obviously I wouldn't send them a 1st.  But if they wanted a 2nd and a tiny bit of change?  I'd consider it.  He grew on me a lot as a prospect and while I understand the concern people have about his limitations, I think it would be worth a shot.  And he'd be coming into a good situation with a good pass-blocking OL, DJ Moore, and a better offensive coaching staff than he had in New England.

I think the lack of weapons for Mac has even been understated.. Jacobi Meyers can get open, but that is it other than some throw-it-up-and-pray balls to Parker

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Nick Caserio should be doing exploratory calls on this. If the Texans can keep their first three picks this season and use a few of their 3rds along with conditions that can see a 2024 1st included, it could allow the Texans to eval Jones for a few seasons and fill the team up around him - Will Anderson at 2, Jordan Addison or Quentin Johnston at 12, John Michael-Schmitz or Dalton Kincaid at 33 - there’s no pressure to make a pick at QB. Next season (assuming best case scenario and Jones lives up to his billing) the Texans will still have a 1st to fill the team around him. Ideally, there would be a stipulation that the pick is the lower of the two FRPs Houston has on hand.

Given Jones’ skill set and the corresponding fit to a Bobby Slowik offense (Kyle Shanahan-esque) this could be a very low risk move with substantial upside. Would I like it? Eh, not really - Mac Jones gives off that New England stench that Texans fans have learned to hate since the Bill O’Brien era - but it might be a smart move, with options to play around with if Jones doesn’t make it.

Not really a rumor....did JJ Watt have any additional years on his contract when he retired? I was thinking a year or so ago a couple of void years were added onto his contract to reduce the cap charge?

Would he still be under contractual control of the Cardinals? Could he possibly be interested in playing again for a contender as a mid-season add?

4 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Not really a rumor....did JJ Watt have any additional years on his contract when he retired? I was thinking a year or so ago a couple of void years were added onto his contract to reduce the cap charge?

Would he still be under contractual control of the Cardinals? Could he possibly be interested in playing again for a contender as a mid-season add?

Looks like he was still under contract for one more year, so he still is under Cardinals control

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Looks like he was still under contract for one more year, so he still is under Cardinals control

Gotcha. Maybe the Cardinals would be willing to release him to let him sign with another team to chase a ring. I know he has dealt with alot of injuries and may really be through with football, but if he has an offseason to get healthy and stay in condition...he could provide a spark for a team in a playoff push.

The Chiefs seem to always be open to adding a veteran defensive lineman for a stretch run and I think Watt could still be a solid rotational player with limited snaps to keep him fresh.

Edited by nicfre2011

14 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Gotcha. Maybe the Cardinals would be willing to release him to let him sign with another team to chase a ring. I know he has dealt with alot of injuries and may really be through with football, but if he has an offseason to get healthy and stay in condition...he could provide a spark for a team in a playoff push.

The Chiefs seem to always be open to adding a veteran defensive lineman for a stretch run and I think Watt could still be a solid rotational player with limited snaps to keep him fresh.

He’ll be a June 1st cut.

https://overthecap.com/cardinals-restructure-jj-watts-contract-for-2023-cap-relief

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Would absolutely love to see Adams face/reaction to the sheer stupidity of this scenario unfolding and Josh McDaniels trying to sell him on it. 👌

"Embrace the chaos Adams! This can be like Brady and Moss... but when Brady got hurt and Matt Cassel took over for a while."

• Like 3