What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

21 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

well Rodgers could just retire so he will have some choice in where he goes if he goes anywhere right?

Right, there is no chance in hell he wants to play for WAS. I could see LV because of Adams, but they'd be better off pushing for Brady. The Jets make sense, but Rodgers is such a baby that he probably doesn't want the same career path as Favre. 

Edited by malak1
  • Like 1

I would be good with the same thing Favre got in the Jets trade, as long as the Jets pick up all or most of the contract

Conditional 1st(can go low as 4th)

"The draft pick traded for Favre turns into a third-round selection if he plays in 50 percent of the plays this season, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs, and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl."

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Right, there is no chance in hell he wants to play for WAS. I could see LV because of Adams, but they'd be better off pushing for Brady. The Jets make sense, but Rodgers is such a baby that he probably doesn't want the same career path as Favre. 

I'd put Washington in the unlikely territory, but if the choice is going back to Green Bay (when GB makes it clear they want to move forward with Love) or go to Washington he might come around.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Someone from the Titans' forum (paging @titans0021) could probably be a bit more insightful into the Titans' cap situation, but Zach Cunningham ($13.4M cap hit after playing in 6 games last year) and Taylor Lewan ($14.8M after playing in 2 games last year) seem like very obvious cap casualties.

@Danielmostly touched on it, but certainly the Titans could fit him in under the cap with the obvious releases.

But the question obviously becomes, then what? What are you trying to accomplish at that point with a soon-to-be 40-year-old QB, very limited financial resources, arguably the worst OL in football and a bad group of receivers? There’s a chance you’d still have the 11th pick in the draft to work with, but that’s unlikely. 

Last offseason, I thought there was logic to it. Coming off the one seed, lost in the playoffs due to a Tannehill and Downing implosion and AJ Brown still on the roster, Rodgers could very well have been seen as the piece to push us to the top.

Now, you’re coming off a 7-10 season where you lost seven straight with holes littered all over the roster. Just not the time to be taking on an aging QB coming off the worst year of his career. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd put Washington in the unlikely territory, but if the choice is going back to Green Bay (when GB makes it clear they want to move forward with Love) or go to Washington he might come around.

I don't see how he doesn't hold all the cards here. Whatever he chooses (leave or stay) is what is going to happen. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation. 

Edited by malak1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, malak1 said:

I don't see how he doesn't hold all the cards here. Whatever he chooses (leave or stay) is what is going to happen. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation. 

I absolutely do believe that Rodgers holds most of the leverage with this situation.  But I also think that there's enough goodwill built up between Rodgers and the FO that Rodgers isn't going to try and bend the Packers' FO over.  I mentioned it in another thread, but I think there's going to be 3-4 teams that Rodgers will tell Gute he's willing to play for, and 1-2 of them (most likely San Francisco) will be unfeasible for one reason or another.  So that likely leaves 2-3 teams "bidding" for Rodgers, and if Rodgers feels that the package that is being dealt for him takes away from his ability to win next year then he'll use his retirement as a threat to block a trade.   My guess is it ends up coming down to Las Vegas, NY Jets, and Tennessee, but that's just a feeling at this point.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I absolutely do believe that Rodgers holds most of the leverage with this situation.  But I also think that there's enough goodwill built up between Rodgers and the FO that Rodgers isn't going to try and bend the Packers' FO over.  I mentioned it in another thread, but I think there's going to be 3-4 teams that Rodgers will tell Gute he's willing to play for, and 1-2 of them (most likely San Francisco) will be unfeasible for one reason or another.  So that likely leaves 2-3 teams "bidding" for Rodgers, and if Rodgers feels that the package that is being dealt for him takes away from his ability to win next year then he'll use his retirement as a threat to block a trade.   My guess is it ends up coming down to Las Vegas, NY Jets, and Tennessee, but that's just a feeling at this point.

There's zero chance be retires now, though, and I think every GM knows that. He has more years in him and an insane contract in his favor. 

That said, his contract is so big and untradable as is that all he would need to do to not go somewhere is be unwilling to move money around on the contract and just tell the team trading for him that he doesn't want to go there. That should be enough for a team not to trade for the headache of that contract along with a player who doesn't want to be there. That is why I believe Rodgers has 100% of the leverage. $0.02.

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

There's zero chance be retires now, though, and I think every GM knows that. He has more years in him and an insane contract in his favor. 

That said, his contract is so big and untradable as is that all he would need to do to not go somewhere is be unwilling to move money around on the contract and just tell the team trading for him that he doesn't want to go there. That should be enough for a team not to trade for the headache of that contract along with a player who doesn't want to be there. That is why I believe Rodgers has 100% of the leverage. $0.02.

Any team trading for him and then exercising that option bonus has Rodgers on the hook for $15.2M cap hit in 2023.  There's no moving money around.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Any team trading for him and then exercising that option bonus has Rodgers on the hook for $15.2M cap hit in 2023.  There's no moving money around.

I'm assuming that number should be.....$51.2M? If it's 15.2, what QB needy GM wouldn't pounce?

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I was more going off what I read somewhere about the huge dead cap hit and creatively restructuring so Rodgers will be more tradable for Green Bay. Am I incorrect on that part? I admit I'm not strong in contracts. I figured the Jets would be a alright paying the $50mil or whatever, as they can fit it.

Do you think the lack of success from the Russell Wilson trade last year will pause some teams and the compensation this time around? Rodgers is a better QB than Wilson but I don't expect Rodgers (age has some factor) to get two firsts, two seconds, players and a 5th. 

I'm leaning more towards something like a 1st, a 3rd, and then some pick swaps (Packers 5th for their 4th) kind of thing. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Do you think the lack of success from the Russell Wilson trade last year will pause some teams and the compensation this time around? Rodgers is a better QB than Wilson but I don't expect Rodgers (age has some factor) to get two firsts, two seconds, players and a 5th. 

I'm leaning more towards something like a 1st, a 3rd, and then some pick swaps (Packers 5th for their 4th) kind of thing. 

I believe it'll be something like the latter, yeah. He's too close to retirement to get a haul. He'll be 40 this year. That said, there might be a player or two tossed in, nobody major, I'd guess.

• Like 1