What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

If I'm the GM and I'm looking at the long term health of the franchise I'm in charge of (as they should be), there's no way I'd invest any significant assets into an old QB who looked disinterested all year long and is coming off an average year (bad for him). I don't care that he was MVP 2 years ago or that he'll be a first ballot hall of famer. He's not a guy who I feel would put a team who's "a QB away" over the top. He just doesn't seem to care that much anymore. He put in work in the offseason after they drafted Love and that's why he won the MVP that year. This last offseason he didn't work on his craft and it showed.

Anything I would trade him for would be conditional starting around a 3rd this year and next that could go up to a first. I'm not mortgaging my future for him, that's for sure.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

If I'm the GM and I'm looking at the long term health of the franchise I'm in charge of (as they should be), there's no way I'd invest any significant assets into an old QB who looked disinterested all year long and is coming off an average year (bad for him). I don't care that he was MVP 2 years ago or that he'll be a first ballot hall of famer. He's not a guy who I feel would put a team who's "a QB away" over the top. He just doesn't seem to care that much anymore. He put in work in the offseason after they drafted Love and that's why he won the MVP that year. This last offseason he didn't work on his craft and it showed.

Anything I would trade him for would be conditional starting around a 3rd this year and next that could go up to a first. I'm not mortgaging my future for him, that's for sure.

He won the MVP because he was relatively healthy the prior two seasons and he finally realized he had to transition into a pure pocket passer if he wanted to continue to play at an elite level.

1 hour ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

Agreed. The only team that I'd consider it for is if I was the GM of the Niners and you don't think Purdy or Lance are gonna be The Guy.

Rodgers would light it up in SF. He'd be the most motivated he's been since he won a SB playing for them. And that team would suit him well. He'd love the weapons. He'd buy in. He'd do everything. So I'd feel comfortable trading for him if I was the niners. Anyone else...ehhhh, I wouldn't.

• Like 1

What was the 2021 season of Matt Stafford or the 2020 season of Tom Brady worth in draft compensation looking at that singular season? Hard to say, but I think if you're a team with bottom 10 level QB play, a single season of top 10 level QB play is worth a 1st round pick. From there, you negotiate further. 

I'd take #13, a conditional pick in 2024 (say a 4th if the Jets miss the playoffs, 3rd if they make the playoffs, 2nd if the make the conference championship and 1st if they make the SB) and a player. I'd push for Elijah Moore but settle for Denzel Mims or Jeremy Ruckert.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

No, but giving up assets for Aaron Rodgers isn’t the solution, either. 

Sounds like Tennessee is stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Either trot out Ryan Tannehill and hope to strike lightning in a bottle or make a major move.  IMO, the Titans are only going to go as far as Derrick Henry takes them.  Given that Henry just turned 29 years old, there's probably not much more time with him before a hard reset is going to be needed.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. The only team that I'd consider it for is if I was the GM of the Niners and you don't think Purdy or Lance are gonna be The Guy.

Rodgers would light it up in SF. He'd be the most motivated he's been since he won a SB playing for them. And that team would suit him well. He'd love the weapons. He'd buy in. He'd do everything. So I'd feel comfortable trading for him if I was the niners. Anyone else...ehhhh, I wouldn't.

What about Carolina? You have a #1 in Moore and some young guys behind him. They have a strong run game already, but GB has to do something with Aaron Jones (trade or restructure), maybe you could even get him in the deal with Rodgers. Some decent TEs there in FA and the draft too.

Compensation would have to be a conditional pick, but if Rodgers led them to a playoff win or two would that be worth a 1st?

Just now, CWood21 said:
3 hours ago, ET80 said:

No, but giving up assets for Aaron Rodgers isn’t the solution, either. 

Sounds like Tennessee is stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Either trot out Ryan Tannehill and hope to strike lightning in a bottle or make a major move.  IMO, the Titans are only going to go as far as Derrick Henry takes them.  Given that Henry just turned 29 years old, there's probably not much more time with him before a hard reset is going to be needed.

Tennessee seems primed for a full reset, actually - give the reigns to Malik Willis to see what you have in him while investing on young defensive pieces.

If Willis is who you think he is (a guy who you’re not able to win with) you’re in prime position to pick one of the top QBs in 2024 - ideally Caleb Williams, but even ending up with Bo Nix or Michael Penix Jr would be better than no man’s land. 

The recent MO of the division is to bottom out, find your QB and build from there - Jax did it with Lawrence, Texans/Colts will be doing it with Stroud/Young/Levis (two of these guys will end up in the AFCS, IMO). Tennessee would be wise to follow suit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, adamq said:

What about Carolina? You have a #1 in Moore and some young guys behind him. They have a strong run game already, but GB has to do something with Aaron Jones (trade or restructure), maybe you could even get him in the deal with Rodgers. Some decent TEs there in FA and the draft too.

Compensation would have to be a conditional pick, but if Rodgers led them to a playoff win or two would that be worth a 1st?

i think SF is the team Rodgers would be most motivated to play for. And I think that's important for getting the best of him.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i think SF is the team Rodgers would be most motivated to play for. And I think that's important for getting the best of him.

If the Niners don't win the SB this year, I'd be for it. Most 49er fans probably wouldn't, though 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So trotting out Ryan Tannehil is the solution?

It’s a better solution than trotting out Aaron Rodgers while also making sure we stay in cap hell for multiple seasons and have no draft picks.

I don’t know how to keep explaining that.

• Like 4

It sounds like the Jets are the favorites..

As a Jet fan as much of a risk as it is I’d take that chance rather then sign Carr or Jimmy G make the 7 seed for the next few years and lose 24-9 in the wildcard round..

Rodgers might be done but i also thought Brady was done after  his final year on the Pats but it turned out he looked bad at times because he had hardly any weapons around him.

Im hoping that’s what happened to Rodgers this year 

Edited by AAA1980

On 1/28/2023 at 8:14 AM, StatKing said:

Don't get your hopes up my man. Rodgers is going to betray you.

There is literally nothing this franchise can do to disappoint me any more than they already have.

I really think he wants one more ring before hangs them up and not being a homer but NY offers the best chance at that.  Farve had us playing well before he got hurt and I really believe Rodgers has top 10 QB play left in him and would legitimately make the Jets a contender.  They likely will have something happen along the way ala Farve that causes them to fall short but the risk is worth it now since they have a ton of rookie contracts that will come due in a few years.  The time to go all in is now and Rodgers is the best chance to make a deep run so I say what have they got to lose, go for it and hope for the best.

• Like 1