Sean Payton to be Broncos HC

Abe56

24 minutes ago, Soggust said:

If I'm a Denver fan, I'm absolutely pumped.

I don't like this situation for him, but Payton seems to disagree - so fair enough.

I want to see the numbers on Payton’s contract. The Walton family is the richest ownership group in the league, so if they made him the highest paid HC in football, I’ll be worried.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The pick capital matters.   In a vacuum, Payton probably was right there with Harbaugh, but pick capital matters a ton here.

This is my take. Broncos were already behind on picks with Russ. Less picks is a tough pill to swallow. That being said Payton is a good coach and can get a lot of his players. No one is going to think the game has passed him by like it did Gruden. The real question is how is Denver going to rebuild because I don’t see the talent on the roster to win the AFC West.

If you can’t win the West then that means going to Buffalo, Cincinnati, Baltimore or Arrowhead and trying to win in the playoffs. That’s a really tall ask and then you add in that he’s an offensive based guy used to having his system play more then half their games in a dome and now… mile high. We’ll see what kind of staff he puts together before I get too excited. One thing is for sure though, he won’t make the team worse like a certain other AFC West’s Coach does. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, a major criticism before was that the top coaches didn't want Denver.   As much as some ppl think Payton is overrated (I think he's a great O mind, but also got in his own way - WAY too much Taysom Hill use during the best NO playoff team years with Brees/Kamara/Thomas IMO), he was clearly a top guy, and while he took his time (and so did DEN), he clearly was happy to come here.   Now, if all he does is cut & run after 2-3 years in DEN, then nope, it was just take the $.   But if he sticks it out even beyond Russ' years, then his interest was genuine.  Time will tell.

2 easy ways Payton can help himself and the org - first, keep Evero as DC unless IND/ARI hire him as HC.   It's a no-brainer to keep the same personnel and scheme, and even if he leaves next year, then DEN gets 2 end-of-3rd comp picks, and it helps him (and the org) improve the roster during his time.   The other no-brainer - hire OL coach Mike Munchak.    Munchak IMO is the 2nd-GOAT behind Dante Scarnecchia - and with his grandkids in COL, he ONLY wants to coach for DEN.   Hackett's refusal to keep him on and hire his buddy Butch Barry (who was almost as unqualified as he was as OC), was a disaster move.

It's not the only path to success for Payton, but IMO it's low-hanging fruit for the D and OL.   And given we don't have a 1st/2nd this year, and need to upgrade 2, if not 3 positions on OL, it's such a no-brainer IMO.   Those 2 being on Payton's staff would signal they're on the right track.  We'll see.  

EDIT:  @BroncoBruin pointed out that NO let go of their OL coach from 2016-20, Dan Rousher.   I can absolutely get behind that hire as well.   Either way, we'll need a massive OL coaching upgrade, because we're not likely to get a massive OL talent infusion at least in terms of high pick capital, or big $ FA, not for 3 position-upgrades, anyways.

Don’t be down on Taysom…he’ll probably be on your roster next season

• Like 1

"Sean Payton Traded to Denver (DEN) from New Orleans (NO) with 2024 3rd round pick for 2024 2nd round pick and 2023 1st round pick (#30)"

Why did that happen again?  The dude left the Saints, obviously was never going to coach there again and now the Saints get three pretty high draft picks for the dude?  Freaking win for the Saints on that one, talk about getting something for nothing.

What it was because Payton was still under contract or something so they had to "trade" him to Denver?  Those are some damn high picks though for a HC that was finished on the Saints and no longer part of that organization.  

....also so Vic Fangio is going back to Denver to be with Payton?  I thought Fangio was the DC for Miami or was that not a done deal?  

Edited by Ozzy

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

"Sean Payton Traded to Denver (DEN) from New Orleans (NO) with 2024 3rd round pick for 2024 2nd round pick and 2023 1st round pick (#30)"

Why did that happen again?  The dude left the Saints, obviously was never going to coach there again and now the Saints get three pretty high draft picks for the dude?  Freaking win for the Saints on that one, talk about getting something for nothing.

What it was because Payton was still under contract or something so they had to "trade" him to Denver?  Those are some damn high picks though for a HC that was finished on the Saints and no longer part of that organization.  

Its actually a 2023 first and and 2024 2nd for Payton and 2024 3rd. So a 1st and some change and its because he is still under contract with the Saints, yes.

Just now, Ozzy said:

They owned his rights for two more seasons. He wouldn't have been able to coach anywhere else until his contract expired with the Saints. Broncos traded the Saints draft picks to get them to release Payton from his contract so he would be free to sign with them.

4 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

They owned his rights for two more seasons. He wouldn't have been able to coach anywhere else until his contract expired with the Saints. Broncos traded the Saints draft picks to get them to release Payton from his contract so he would be free to sign with them.

So how much the Saints pay him this year to do nothing then?  Sure it makes sense but still seems pretty nuts but awesome for the Saints.  

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Its actually a 2023 first and and 2024 2nd for Payton and 2024 3rd. So a 1st and some change and its because he is still under contract with the Saints, yes.

Isn't that what I quoted it as?  That 2023 1st rounder could be huge, and those two the following year are not bad either.  

This was an absolute no brainer for Denver. Payton is an elite offensive mind and you are stuck with Wilson and need to do everything in your power to try and fix the disaster that was 2022. No young coach was going to do that. If someone is going to fix Russ, it’s Payton.

Edited by RUGmen

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

So how much the Saints pay him this year to do nothing then?  Sure it makes sense but still seems pretty nuts but awesome for the Saints.  

I'm pretty sure when he stepped away, his contract froze, which meant he wasn't making any money from the team, but they still had his rights as their HC.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Isn't that what I quoted it as?  That 2023 1st rounder could be huge, and those two the following year are not bad either.  

You said the Saints get 3 pretty high draft picks. They net 1 additional draft pick from this trade, the 1st this year. They swapped picks 3rd for a 2nd next year.

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Have always said this guy is a fraud but people on here constantly bow to the guy just because he used to post here.

He throws out obvious links to draft/FA and hot names every year that are already being discussed in the media but he just says it sternly like he has inside info about it lol

Bowing?  Let's not be extreme.  He does clearly have some connection inside the Broncos' FO.

If Russ is so bad that even Payton can’t design a workable offense next year, they can move on in 2024 (it will be expensive but doable) and we’ll still have arguably a top 5 HC backed by an ownership group with a ton of financial resources. I feel a lot better about the Broncos’ future than I did yesterday. 

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Payton retired but still had a contract (unpaid while he's still coaching). Saints keep the rights otherwise you'd see coaches 'retire' all the time when a better job opened up that they could get/when their rosters were in a lull.