Sean Payton to be Broncos HC

Abe56

15 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t understand how a proven perennial playoff HC who’s one of the best offensive minds in the game was a second choice behind a DC 

He wasnt. It was 1a) Harbaugh 1b) Payton 2) Quinn from the very beginning of this coaching search. From following the local beat (and not national scoop vultures), they really wanted Harbaugh the entire time but couldnt convince him to leave college.

It was always Harbaugh/Payton from the very beginning. I also believe Ryans was used as a negotiating tactic to force a answer from either Harbaugh/Payton because yeah....after the Hackett experience I would have a hard time believing the Broncos would go back to another 1st time HC.

Either way, who cares about the draft pick. Sean Payton is worth 3-5 wins alone coaching your team. No OL or LB they take at #29 overall is going to have that impact

17 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Wait that’s real?

We've had a few dudes post here that have made the transition into full time NFL type gigs, whether it be as scouts, FO, or other. Some like my guy @MD4L are still here. There was a dude who used to have an awesome grading metric that he created that I liked, and I can't remember who he was, but I bet my NFL Draft forum guys remember him. It was almost a SPARQ precursor if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

In my world a 2nd and 3rd round pick are really high picks still, especially considering the Raiders got Davante Adams for a 1st and 2nd rounder and he is a 1st team All Pro!  And Amari Cooper the Browns got for only a 5th and 6th round pick.

So the Saints getting that high of picks for Sean Payton a "retired" coach, that is nuts but awesome for them.

I thought maybe they had to pay out the rest of his contract if it was guaranteed even if he was not coaching.  

Glad @SWATcha helped me clarify this for you. 

For context, it is less than the Davante Adams compensation because they gave the Broncos their 3rd back, thus only gaining the 1st this year. So while giving up a 1st round pick for a coach is a lot, considering what they went through last year, to the coach they can expect this year, I think its worth it for them. 

Payton is a great coach, but I really don't see Wilson turning it around with him.  Not a great fit.

But I think this should be an okay move as long as Payton is it in for the long-run.  If I'm the Broncos, I'd be disappointed with anything less than 6-8 years (unless a Super Bowl is involved).  That is the main reason why, while I wanted Payton, I was uncomfortable with the idea of trading a 1st for him.  But the Broncos 1st that they gave up wasn't as high as what the Panthers were potentially about to give up.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

The good thing is that a head coach doesn’t miss time with injury. 

Even better is that a HC will probably never get suspended for anythi…

…ohhhhhhh, wait. Wait. Waaaaaaaait a minute.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Payton is a great coach, but I really don't see Wilson turning it around with him.  Not a great fit.

He’s not a great fit, but Payton is 17-4 with much worse QBs… I think the offense will be average at worst in year 1

15 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Taysom Hill: 7-1

Teddy Bridgewater: 5-1 (statistically best performance of his career under Payton)

Jameis Winston: 5-2 (statistically best performance of his career under Payton)

In other words, he is 17-4 with the aforementioned QB’s during his tenure with the Saints.

Edited by Dome

I’ve never felt Payton was a great HC I always felt they under performed in the playoffs. Idk. I feel like this hire sets the broncos back. No matter the compensation. Would have rather gone all in by getting Demeco or go out and get Kellen Moore. I feel like this season will barely be better than last! And this is if Wilson still plays like a 78 year old

QB. If Wilson remains broken this hire makes worse sense. Only way this works is they win the Super Bowl next year. If they don’t the Wilson/Payton haul will be one of the worst in NFL history. Payton booty word up. 

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

It is something I've wondered. Even with the Walmarts 100 million dollar renovations to Bronco stadium, will it be big enough for Wilson's and Payton's egos? 😄

I hear Payton is gonna have his own office too smdh. 

Edited by NudeTayne

I think the Broncos are working on the sunk cost fallacy here. They're stuck with Wilson for a few more years. Payton has a history of building potent offenses and getting the most out of his QB's. I get why they wanted to go after him, they're hoping he can fix Wilson's issues. 

Payton is overrated as an HC, sure -- but I can't think of anyone better to try and right Russell Wilson's ship. It's a hail mary on Denver's part.