Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Dan Snyder is going to give him a huge terrible contract and have that drown the new owner.

There are worse bets that have been made, and truthfully, if the best of the two picks you're going to give up is only #16 (assuming Lamar could get them to a similar, if not better record next year), it's a pretty solid gamble. 50 million a year is really just market value if that's what it ends up at. Fully guaranteed may be the way this is going anyway....but maybe it's just 3 / 150 fully guaranteed or something. 

I honestly like this move by the Ravens. They are tired of contract talks with Lamar, and Lamar not meeting them in the middle at all. This way, Lamar’s contract negotiation becomes some other team’s problem, and the Ravens will likely just match whatever top offer Lamar gets. Headache absolved. If the Ravens deem the contract is ungodly, two firsts isn’t a bad consolation prize. I think what happens is Lamar realizes his contract demands are absurd, Atlanta gives him his best offer, and I think there is at least a 60% chance Baltimore matches it. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Does a team need to hold two firsts? Can a team trade down, then agree to a deal with Lamar? Like could Indy take pick four and make it a bunch of late firsts and offer Lamar a billion over 20 years with few guarantees or something insane?

I thought about this. Why would Lamar accept a contract with few guarantees? If, in this scenario, the Colts want him to sign, they'd have to guarantee $250 million, or whatever Lamar is asking.

Also, if they trade down to the bottom of the 1st round, and the Ravens match so Lamar stays, you've wasted draft capital. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Does anyone know what happens if lamar signs with a team that doesnt have a first this year? Miami does not have a first. 

I think they have to wait until after the draft, then the Ravens would get a 2024 1st and a 2025 1st. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

This is huge if he does sign a fully guaranteed contract. It'll change the QB market going forward. 

Not sure about that. Its been done twice before and it's still not a thing. I'm not sure that lamar changes that 

You know what makes the most sense? The New York Football Giants giving Lamar anything he damn pleases and two first round picks, instead of signing Daniel “Average at best” Jones to a crazy 40M a year. Let’s see if Daboll has balls of steel. 

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I thought about this. Why would Lamar accept a contract with few guarantees? If, in this scenario, the Colts want him to sign, they'd have to guarantee $250 million, or whatever Lamar is asking.

Also, if they trade down to the bottom of the 1st round, and the Ravens match so Lamar stays, you've wasted draft capital. 

Sure like guarantee 250mil of it, but few in comparison to 20y/1bil. The guy doesn't have an agent and wants to be a billionaire. I think if you gave him a market deal that had a bunch of phony years to make it a billion on paper he'd like that.