Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If Atlanta really isn’t pursing Lamar they are a worse ran organization than I thought. 

hot take: they're better

giving up a record setting contract AND two first round picks for Lamar is almost assuredly a bad football decision.

• Like 1

Gonna offer what this development looks like to me. Feel free to rip away:

(1) What the naysayers have been preaching is confirmed, that Lamar isn't that loved in Baltimore. It would have never come to this if they believed in him as a long-term top quarterback. They may like him but also see him as a top-20 guy, not top-5.

(2) All the apologies in the world that fans and media make for Lamar's "I'm a star" behavior has not convinced Harbaugh. Tweets, diva stuff...Lamar has mostly gotten a free pass. Maybe it's the elite athlete stuff, but he has more the energy of a "give me the ball" receiver to me than a calm, poised general on the field. I don't think he's Russell Wilson or anything but also wouldn't be surprised once he's gone to hear some stuff leak out about trucks navigating his personality. 

(3) Nursing the injury last year was akin to a top draft pick sitting his senior season in case he got hurt. It reflects poorly on team. I'm sure that rubbed a lot of the coaches and personnel staff the wrong way.

(4) Whoever is in his ear puppeteering the process from the NFLPA, that likely irritated both the Ravens and perhaps the owners in general. 

(5) All the injuries, though mostly small, are adding up enough that the Ravens have decided the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

(6) I give it about a ten percent chance be stays in Baltimore. Giving 10+ teams the ability to outbid you says you're ready to get the draft picks and reset. THAT is why Roman is gone. He was there to run Jackson's system, even though many blame him for the lack of success. 

(7) Lamar shutting down negotiations like he did last year was one of the reason you pay that 1% it whatnot to a top agent. All the clashes are absorbed and all Lamar would have had to do is let "his camp" end the negotiations at some point. It seems minor, but some of the developments last year gave me the feeling that it got a bit personal for Lamar. This is exhaustion at its finest but just how I feel.

(8) The level of compensation involved is indeed much less than they could get by trading him. To make sense of this, we have to ask why not just trade him for more? This will likely be an unpopular point, but I believe the Ravens are okay with losing up to maybe another first in value if they can control the narrative and be perceived as the good guy in the situation both by the league and Lamar. They all play nice at the end, Lamar continues his career and speaks favorably about his time in Baltimore, especially because if he doesn't then he looks like the villain and "confirms" what some people thought about what was really the fallout. Baltimore is already stacked, will have two more firsts and will be going a soft reset with a new QB & OC.

TL;DR Hollywood Brown was only worth a third, so the final compensation is Lamar for two firsts, a second, a third and maybe a fourth in value. That's acceptable for a guy about to be paid $$$$$$$$$.

Just now, DontTazeMeBro said:

The media has rallied for two big causes lately. Eric Bieniemy getting a HC job and Jackson getting fully guaranteed. If Washington gets Bieniemy and Jackson, the media has to admit Washington is the smartest organization in the league right?

AnakinX1000

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I honestly like this move by the Ravens. They are tired of contract talks with Lamar, and Lamar not meeting them in the middle at all. This way, Lamar’s contract negotiation becomes some other team’s problem, and the Ravens will likely just match whatever top offer Lamar gets. Headache absolved. If the Ravens deem the contract is ungodly, two firsts isn’t a bad consolation prize. I think what happens is Lamar realizes his contract demands are absurd, Atlanta gives him his best offer, and I think there is at least a 60% chance Baltimore matches it. 

If a team extends Lamar an offer that he doesn’t like (which will probably be the case), he doesn’t have to “accept” it. 
That would keep the Ravens from locking him in to a contract that the entire league feels is market value, but he views as underneath him.

Thats why i’m pretty confident it will play out like this:

-> No team will offer Lamar what he wants 

-> He continues to not sign our long term offer even though it’s the best he was offered

-> He plays 2023 on the franchise tag in hopes of this all playing out again next offseason to see if he can get a team next cycle to offer a ridiculous contract he wants 

Edited by Ray Reed

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

If a team extends Lamar an offer that he doesn’t like (which will probably be the case), he doesn’t have to “accept” it. 
That would keep the Ravens from locking him in to a contract that the entire league feels is market value, but he views as underneath him.

Thats why i’m pretty confident it will play out like this:

-> No team will offer Lamar want he wants 

-> He continues to not sign our long term offer

-> He plays 2023 on the franchise tag in hopes of this all playing out again next offseason to see if he can get a team next cycle to offer a ridiculous contract he wants 

It's gonna really suck watching him play this year on the tag just to redo all of this ridiculousness AGAIN after he plays 13 games and misses the end of the season due to injury after starting hot and fizzling out right up to the point where he gets hurt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's gonna really suck watching him play this year on the tag just to redo all of this ridiculousness AGAIN after he plays 13 games and misses the end of the season due to injury after starting hot and fizzling out right up to the point where he gets hurt.

And somehow to half our fanbase the FO will still be the villain in this situation. lol.