Is QB Caleb Williams in the god tier of prospects?

RaidersAreOne

On 8/5/2023 at 10:42 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

I like a little bit of an arrogant A-- from a QB. As long as it doesn't cut into his work ethic or how he treats his teammates/coaches, I like it.

Agreed.  Plus, saying "**** INSERT RIVAL TEAM HERE" is not even really arrogance.  I ******* love it when UT players rip on Florida or Alabama.  They're rivals.  They should hate those teams.  I care more that USC fell flat on the big stage, twice.

Still, he's got another season, and even if USC has another good year but fails to win something big, as long as he plays similarly, Caleb is still a stellar prospect.  He's just a notch below the Manning/Luck/Lawrence tier.  Which is also where I'd put guys like Burrow.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Agreed.  Plus, saying "**** INSERT RIVAL TEAM HERE" is not even really arrogance.  I ******* love it when UT players rip on Florida or Alabama.  They're rivals.  They should hate those teams.  I care more that USC fell flat on the big stage, twice.

Yeah it kind of sells me on the idea that these dudes are gonna do whatever they can to win. It's personal to them, not just some means to making a lot of money. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

I thought he was taller.  Only 6ft?

He's listed as 6'1" but a lot of photos suggest he's more in the 6'3" to 6'4" range.

I was previously negging him for height as well, but the Heisman pictures of him next to CJ Stroud make it look like Williams is at least as tall, and maybe taller, and Stroud is 6'3"

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:10 PM, Scoundrel said:

There may be some maturity concerns with Caleb… and they are already dealing with that in Kyler

Absolutely! And the concerns are addressed below....

On 8/4/2023 at 3:48 PM, AkronsWitness said:

The guy who wrote '**** Utah' on his knuckles and lost? Got outplayed by Cameron Rising? and UTAH?

/devilsadvocate

Such a punk move. The Utah games were the only USC games I watched and I loved both of them. 😈 As I Sooner alum, I cannot stand USC or Lincoln Riley. Until he got his nails done for that Utah game, I was still okay with Caleb. He's a punk.  Which means he could fit in quite well in LV! Raiduhs! 😏

Also, he is only a "good QB" right now. Why? I cannot think of any really fantastic victory he has to hang his "god-tier" hat on...  

52 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Absolutely! And the concerns are addressed below....

Such a punk move. The Utah games were the only USC games I watched and I loved both of them. 😈 As I Sooner alum, I cannot stand USC or Lincoln Riley. Until he got his nails done for that Utah game, I was still okay with Caleb. He's a punk.  Which means he could fit in quite well in LV! Raiduhs! 😏

Also, he is only a "good QB" right now. Why? I cannot think of any really fantastic victory he has to hang his "god-tier" hat on...  

I just think hes going to be the next QB where none of his flaws or concerns get discussed and everyone just slots him at the top. Similar to Zach Wilson and Bryce Young and to a lesser extent Trey Lance. None of their flaws were seriously discussed and it was just nothing but praise from the very beginning of the process--focusing only on the great qualities and none of the bad. Wilson bust, Lance bust and Young.....hasnt looked that great in the preseason.

What happens if he goes out and has a down year? What happens if he cant win big games? Are evaluators going to look at the last 2 Lincoln Riley #1 overall picks and see how they busted and take that into consideration?

There is just so many questions and I feel like some are putting the cart before the horse here with Williams. He may very well be great and I hope he is, but the premature 'generational next-Mahomes' blah blah blah needs to stop.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

In an alternate reality where the Cardinals weren't picking #1 overall. Kyler was their only prospect.

Yes well bad coaches making bad decisions. Every other team would've taken Herbert over Kyler. Herberts stock was higher in 2019 than it was when he was drafted in 2020

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Yes well bad coaches making bad decisions. Every other team would've taken Herbert over Kyler. Herberts stock was higher in 2019 than it was when he was drafted in 2020

Herbert was my #1 QB in 2019 and Kyler wasn't even on my radar. And then suddenly he won the Heisman in a high flying Oklahoma offense. But he was way too small and focused on baseball. And then suddenly he declared and Herbert decided to stay in school. My whole perception of the class was turned on its head.

On 8/24/2023 at 9:06 AM, Daniel said:

He's listed as 6'1" but a lot of photos suggest he's more in the 6'3" to 6'4" range.

I was previously negging him for height as well, but the Heisman pictures of him next to CJ Stroud make it look like Williams is at least as tall, and maybe taller, and Stroud is 6'3"

Hard to know based on pictures because of all the variables like shoes, angle, surface they're standing on, etc. Stetson Bennett measured 5'11" and Max Duggan measured 6'1 1/2". In the same photo Bennett looks as tall if not a hair taller than Duggan. And speaking of hair, Caleb Williams has Side Show Bob hair that makes him look taller. We won't know his actual height until he's measured at the combine. 

TVE_9627-1536x1024.jpeg