49ers fielding trade calls for QB Trey Lance

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, adamq said:

Lot of people seem to forget how rare QBs are, especially with elite traits like Lance. Think what you may, but he is still all potential and still younger than Will Levis and Hendon Hooker. Anything less than a second is laughable, and I think it will be more. All you need to do is look at Darnold and Wentz.

He's also 6 months younger than Brock Purdy. Lance's ceiling is so much higher than Purdy but his floor is so much lower. He has to be kept to find out what he has.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Not sure anyone posted about this yet. Malik is typically on the ball and doesn't usually say things just for the sake of it.

Kyle's love for Kirk is well documented, but are the vikings going to pay his whole contract?

Niners have a very cheap QB room in 2023. They cant afford to pay Kirk his contract considering they have a top 2 highest paid TE, highest paid LT, top 3/4 highest paid LB, top 5 WR, top 8(?) DT, and still need to pay Nick Bosa.

Trading away Trey Lance means the niners have 90k in cap space, not sure if that is before or after rookies though. 

It just does not make sense unless the niners really believe Trey is just so far behind or not a scheme fit anymore, and that purdy's recovery is not coming along well, and that Kirk is their best chance to win a SB next year, but even then... 

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Kyle's love for Kirk is well documented, but are the vikings going to pay his whole contract?

Niners have a very cheap QB room in 2023. They cant afford to pay Kirk his contract considering they have a top 2 highest paid TE, highest paid LT, top 3/4 highest paid LB, top 5 WR, top 8(?) DT, and still need to pay Nick Bosa.

Trading away Trey Lance means the niners have 90k in cap space, not sure if that is before or after rookies though. 

It just does not make sense unless the niners really believe Trey is just so far behind or not a scheme fit anymore, and that purdy's recovery is not coming along well, and that Kirk is their best chance to win a SB next year, but even then... 

I'm pretty sure that the rookies aren't hitting the top 51 in terms of cap space, so they can be pretty much disregarded. 

I wouldn't have been surprised if there was real talk between them on a Lance / Cousins type swap, but clearly didn't happen and the Vikings then restructured Kirk after the combine, which likely makes him un-moveable for them until after June. He's nearly 19 million more to trade than to keep and they have less than 2 million in space. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

What are the odds that they view Purdy's 7 games as fluky and he is due for regression once teams can actually study him, which is why they want a guy like Cousins

48 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

What are the odds that they view Purdy's 7 games as fluky and he is due for regression once teams can actually study him, which is why they want a guy like Cousins

I am not sure. I hope that they are realistic, but it seems like they fall in and out of love with QBs really fast. It happened with Jimmy G. 7 games, made him one of the highest paid players in the league. 

Hopefully they learned from that, but somehow I doubt it lol 

Kirk with the 9ers would've been interesting for sure. I wouldn't doubt the idea had some traction, but it's a door probably pretty well shut at this point. Some other stuff would have to be moved, and the 49ers would be on the clearly disadvantaged side of anything that could make it happen.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:00 PM, jonnguy2015 said:

If Purdy/Lance/Darnold all flop in 2023 and Cousins doesn't come back to Minny I wouldn't be surprised if Shanny strongly considers finally bringing him aboard

I think Niner fans would love him and that he'd be successful with Shanahan.

Edited by NudeTayne

Ok, ok… everyone shut up.

Minnesota gets: 1.2

San Francisco gets: Kirk Cousins 

Houston gets: Trey Lance, 2024 1st/2nd (MN) 2024 3rd (SF) 2025 1st (MN) 2025 3rd (SF) 2026 1st (SF) 2026 1st (MN)

If you agree, DO NOT give me a football.

amen

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I think Niner fans would love him and that he'd be successful with Shanahan.

The thing is that he's 36 years old next year and he's a market rate QB.  The guy I would expect would be Mac Jones, not Kirk Cousins. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Ok, ok… everyone shut up.

Minnesota gets: 1.2

San Francisco gets: Kirk Cousins 

Houston gets: Trey Lance, 2024 1st/2nd (MN) 2024 3rd (SF) 2025 1st (MN) 2025 3rd (SF) 2026 1st (SF) 2026 1st (MN)

If you agree, DO NOT give me a football.

amen

48 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I want Mac in SF if Purdy isn't the guy.

evil-dontyou.gif