2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

8 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

IF we go OT in the first round, what are you going to do with Tom? I think he's our best OL and has handled RT at a high level.  The development of Walker at LT with a possibility of Bak coming back seems to give us a solid starting Tackle situation.  I understand that earlier in the year it looked rough, but OT is not a pressing need and can be addressed with a developmental prospect later in the draft.  We still have Caleb Jones and Tenuta in the pipeline also.  Plus, seldom do you take a RT in the first round unless it is a pressing need, that is NOT the case here. 

We are weak up the middle and I'd rather bolster that with a Beebe or Barton in the second round.  We need to be more stout in the middle NOW.  Beebe and Barton can play both C/G and would solidify the middle.

Late teens early twenties in the draft puts us in line with DeJean or Kinchens and safety is a dire need.  Enough of a need to double up on the position even if we sign a FA at that spot.

IF we trade up it's going to be for an Edge (Verse or Latu?) that is sliding or WR.  If Odunze or Nabers are within reach I got a feeling Gute takes a shot.  I know most love our WR room, but either of those two would cement that room for years to come.  Reed and Wicks > Watson and Doubs.  Watson has not been reliable/available and I'm sorry, but Doubs is a hard worker that is #4 every day.  It's something I think could happen because nobody is giving it a chance of happening.

With no trades....1st  Cooper DeJean  CB/S  Iowa

2A Jordan Morgan  OT  Arizona

2B  Cooper Beebe  OL  Kansas State

Then I'd go LB and RB in the third.

The Packers considered C to be Tom's best position coming out of college. So draft a T, give him a year to develop, then move Tom to C and let Myers walk when his contract expires. I would draft Beebe too. Can't have enough bigs. 

31 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The Packers considered C to be Tom's best position coming out of college. So draft a T, give him a year to develop, then move Tom to C and let Myers walk when his contract expires. I would draft Beebe too. Can't have enough bigs. 

Absolutely no chance in hell. This died when Tom become an elite tackle, he's not a center. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Absolutely no chance in hell. This died when Tom become an elite tackle, he's not a center. 

Why won't this die? He's a really good tackle which is a more premium position.

Why would Tom even want to move there anyway if GB wanted him to? To make less money?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

what's the issue?  Draft a tackle and play him with Tom.  Good.

Rest of the guys don't matter/are backups/are worse than backups

PFF is the issue.

And there's no real stats for OL other than sacks given/penalties. And if you don't have a way to rewatch the game closely there's almost a zero percent chance you're getting your own read on OL. 

Edited by HighCalebR

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I'll have to get back to you on that. I'm about to partake in a 3 day drunken **** show of a weekend with 9 of my best buds in Houston. Remind me next week lmao. 

3 day, lol. You're an old man now, you're talking about a 1 day drunken **** show and a 2 day recovery now. 

• Like 1

Jackson Powers-Johnson - C - Oregon on my list a little bit. Probably a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick. Won the Rimington Trophy. I know, he played the same position at the same school as Jake Hanson, but we shouldn't hold that against him. 

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@thrILL! and @ThatJerkDave and @Dubz41 Check out my mock choices (under Moretti''s New Year mock:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/52113-morettis-new-years-mock/

I often use profootballnetwork mock draft, but I went with NFLmockdraftdatabase, this time round with no trades, and got:

CB Terrion Arnold, T/G Graham Barton, S Kamren Kinchens, RB Treveyon Henderson, C Jackson Powers-Johnson, ILB Tommy Eichenberg, S Cole Bishop, in the first four rounds.

The last pick was a predicted comp pick for Lazard and Barton was taken to be a guard..........4 picks on defense, 3 on offense.

Other guys I've often taken in my mock drafts (plenty depends on where the pick ends up) S/CB DeJean when available (he usually isn't), Big Edge Laiatu Latu, when I'm not sure what to take in round 1. I often take guard Cooper Beebe and Center Van Pran, with a 2nd round pick. Others I can take are NT Maason Smith, S Tyler Nubin, TE Cade Stover depending on how things play out - and any one of the top half dozen RBs.

I tend to take TE Stover less now as Kraft has advanced so much as a blocker and early picks of OT's Alt, Latham or Guyton, are negated due to either to a later draft spot now, or the emergence of Walker at LT.

Not enough SEC speed.  :D

I will be 1000% honest, I don't really dig into the prospects until all the sites have their full consensus boards up.  They aren't gospel, but they do usually get a pretty good range for where most players will be drafted.  What I usually do, is find a ranking list, then look at their athletic profile, then read the little scouting report blurbs, then check the highlights or if they have full game single player breakdowns.  That way I have an idea of what I am looking for, and I use my own eyes to come to a conclusion.

I had a lot of fun looking at RBs and WRs, especially, last season, and I will definitely do it again.  But what I like and what some teams like are two different things.  While I nailed Puka Nacua and Andrei Iosivas, I completely whiffed on Jordan Addison and Zay Flowers.

So I don't really have a good take on the specific guys.  But I do like the positions taken.  The Duke tackle has been mentioned here many times.  He fits the classic Packer draft pick mold.  

2 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

Tom's not going to take a move to C after proving he can be a great OT. 

Kinda like there was no chance that Elgton Jenkins would go back to LG after finding success at RT?

9 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

What’s people thoughts on a Jeremiah trotter jr for inside backer in the 1st round?

Absolutely not.  There's not an off-ball LBer we should be taking anywhere in the first 64 picks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Kinda like there was no chance that Elgton Jenkins would go back to LG after finding success at RT?

You make a good point, but Jenkins was not near as good at tackle as Tom is now. Also, I do believe Jenkins was extended before he went back to guard. So, he got his money before sliding back inside. 

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

3 day, lol. You're an old man now, you're talking about a 1 day drunken **** show and a 2 day recovery now. 

I thought this too but recently went on a boys golfing trip for like 4 days. Luqid IV, Caffeine, and starting drinking early again worked wonders.

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

what's the issue?  Draft a tackle and play him with Tom.  Good.

Rest of the guys don't matter/are backups/are worse than backups

Walker isn't playing like a back up anymore. He's certainly not an all pro and could be upgraded, but he's playing like a starting tackle in the league.

Edited by Arthur Penske