Who gets the First Overall Pick?

Chiefer

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

The defense has the potential to get better this season. Chandler Jones should bounce after a down season that adds with Maxx Crosby and rookie Tyree Wilson. Regardless of what you think of the rookie, his physical traits length and strength at minimum should help the team attract more attention away from Maxx and create disruption. 

What in the world are you smoking?

1. Every defense has the potential to get better. And most NFL teams brought in better players to facilitate getting better.

2. Chandler Jones should not get better. He’s freaking washed & ancient. He will be jobless after this season.

3. I think Tyree Wilson won’t be out of his stance before he’s getting mauled by NFL OL. His college tape is pretty terrible, with some flashy highlights for every 6-7 abysmal reps.

4. Stop trying to make the Raiders a thing, man. I will eat an insane amount of crow & change my username to something Raiders related if they win more than 7 games. And 7 games is a crazy high ceiling IMO. They’re bad. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Raiders could have easily won 10 games again for the second year in a row. Raiders lost 9 one score games. The roster is better going into the season than last season

People point at McDaniels but Carr career limitations in RZ, turnovers and pocket presence lost the Raiders games at least half of those one score games. Jimmy G while not easy on the eyes at times is a top 10 QB in many advanced statistics. He’s a better fit in the offense and has enough supporting cast to succeed especially in the RZ.

Despite the 6 wins, Raiders still had:

1) Leading Rusher in NFL

2) Leading WR in TDs in NFL 

3) Leading TFL defender in NFL

4) Top 5 kicking/punting unit

5) Returning O-line that produced #1 rusher

This is not the worst team in the NFL. 

The defense has the potential to get better this season. Chandler Jones should bounce after a down season that adds with Maxx Crosby and rookie Tyree Wilson. Regardless of what you think of the rookie, his physical traits length and strength at minimum should help the team attract more attention away from Maxx and create disruption. 

Yeah, there's an old adage that every team looks better after the offseason, on paper.  My knowledge of the Raiders is a little limited, I don't follow them intensely, just see a few of their games and know a few of their players that are higher profile.

The leading rusher in the NFL, most of the time, is meaningless.  The Titans have pretty consistently had great rushers for the past couple of decades, and it doesn't translate to wins by itself.  You're also kind of double using the OL and the RB there with the same data point, but it looks to me like the Raiders do have a solid OL, so ok.

But coaching looks like it will continue to be an issue.  Most people still believe that the Raiders have downgraded at QB, and it's hard to see it as anything other than that.  Jimmy G may be comparable to Carr as a QB, but he's leaving about the QB friendliest scheme you can ask for.  Odds are really, really bad that he plays as well as he did in SF.  Odds are pretty good that he plays worse.  And coaching and QB are the two most important parts of a team.

Beyond that, the WR depth looks OK to me.  Jacobi Meyers and Hunter Renfrow behind Adams isn't bad.  But there's nothing on that roster behind them.

At TE, you look worse.  I love Hooper and all, but he's not a TE1.  He's an average TE2.  And rookie TEs rarely do much, even when they're as lauded as Mayer.

Defense, there are pieces.  You have one elite Edge, and a bunch of JAGs.  That's not gonna scare anyone.  I like Tyre Wilson, I thought he was a good pick, but you're fooling yourself if you think it's reasonable for a raw Edge to produce right out of the gate.  That is not a scary DL.  It's like, maybe middle of the league, and that's all on the back of Crosby.

LBs are even worse.  CBs are not special, and neither are safeties, for all that matters.

That's not a good roster, and even worse, it's really top heavy.  You lose Crosby or Adams for a stretch, and those position groups drop to like bottom 10 in the league immediately.

So the only areas where you're beating the league average are RB, OL, and maybe (by a smidge) WR.  Every other position group looks lesser than the league average to me.  And that's not good.

EDIT: And that's without even getting into the fact that the Raiders have to play the Chargers and Chiefs twice, and at the very least, the elite defense that is the Broncos.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

Daniel no one recently in this thread is arguing that the Raiders are going far, we are arguing we aren't picking first. Jimmy G already has played for our coach, you've seen him in this system already. When you stack a bunch of points like QB knows system, RB that can produce at top level, good weapons, middle to good OL, top 5 eddge rusher. Eventually it should click that's a strange team to think is favored for the top pick in the upcoming draft. As a Raider fan I'd love to pick first and get Caleb Williams, it just isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

What in the world are you smoking?

1. Every defense has the potential to get better. And most NFL teams brought in better players to facilitate getting better.

2. Chandler Jones should not get better. He’s freaking washed & ancient. He will be jobless after this season.

3. I think Tyree Wilson won’t be out of his stance before he’s getting mauled by NFL OL. His college tape is pretty terrible, with some flashy highlights for every 6-7 abysmal reps.

4. Stop trying to make the Raiders a thing, man. I will eat an insane amount of crow & change my username to something Raiders related if they win more than 7 games. And 7 games is a crazy high ceiling IMO. They’re bad. 

Wild claims here. As I mentioned, this isn’t a team that’s gonna pick #1

Raiders defense has more depth, improving young players and 2nd year in scheme should project to an improvement. When you’re at the bottom going up isn’t a stretch.

Wilson tape is terrible?! What are you Smoking? Wilson tape is closer to dominant than awful. He’s gonna be a much needed presence on the DL next to Crosby and in a rotation with Jones.

Are you Raiders gonna win 7-10 games? Who knows. However, This thread is about who is gonna pick #1 in the draft. The Raiders are closer to a middling team than the worst situation in the NFL 

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

This one really will be a litmus test as to whether you and I can trust our eyes in the analysis of a college player's tape. I wouldn't have drafted Wilson in the first two rounds. You and I see a different player than most. We'll see what happens with his career.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

This one really will be a litmus test as to whether you and I can trust our eyes in the analysis of a college player's tape. I wouldn't have drafted Wilson in the first two rounds. You and I see a different player than most. We'll see what happens with his career.

I like Wilson, but I did question his first step. I think he could be a Calais Campbell type guy, but even Campbell took a good 3-4 years to really understand the NFL.

37 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:
4 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

For the record, I felt the same way - he’s somebody who looks good in combine events and has moments where he flashes some incredible abilities, but it was very inconsistent. He looked like he was thinking way too much, like the complexities of his assignment was slowing him down. 

I’ve heard from a few sources that he’s got a great work ethic and is an alpha amongst those in his locker room - so the underlying traits for him to excel are there. We’ll see if that translates to more reaction vs thinking while playing. 

3 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don’t think LV picks #1. Luckily the Cardinals exist. But I do think they’re gonna be a bottom 5 team.

Guess we will have to wait and see. 

Moving the goal posts. This thread is who is picking #1 not who is winning the AFC West. Me and @Trojan made legitimate claims why Raiders don’t seem like the worst team in the NFL. Of course that’s why they play the games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Daniel no one recently in this thread is arguing that the Raiders are going far, we are arguing we aren't picking first. Jimmy G already has played for our coach, you've seen him in this system already. When you stack a bunch of points like QB knows system, RB that can produce at top level, good weapons, middle to good OL, top 5 eddge rusher. Eventually it should click that's a strange team to think is favored for the top pick in the upcoming draft. As a Raider fan I'd love to pick first and get Caleb Williams, it just isn't going to happen.

It certainly seems bucks is.  He's vehemently arguing just against the Raiders having a bad roster.

If his only thing is that they aren't THE worst team in the NFL, then sure.  That's reasonable.  But it really sounds like he's saying they're not like bottom ten, which I think they absolutely are.

• Like 2

Sense Deshaun has signed his second contract he is 7 wins 15 losses.

Divided by 2 that is 3.5 wins that put Cleveland in the running for the 1st overall pick.

Houston clearly thinks there pick will be higher or they would have offered the Browns pick.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Sense Deshaun has signed his second contract he is 7 wins 15 losses.

Divided by 2 that is 3.5 wins that put Cleveland in the running for the 1st overall pick.

Houston clearly thinks there pick will be higher or they would have offered the Browns pick.

Uhgried. Aye no thay 

guna wynn fore two ate gaymes macks. 

6 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Bookmarking this and kind of rooting for the Raiders just to see the name change. 🤨

• Like 2