How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

Let's talk about the Chargers':

Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU | Round 1, Pick 21 - Still an uncracked egg. With Mike Williams out for the year, it's expected his usage will grow in the coming weeks, but so far he's on a low snap count, and hasn't showed much besides some physical talent (speed and shiftiness for a big guy). His hands have been questionable in practice, and the team was up front since the start, that they see him as a project which will take some time to flourish. Should have a much clearer picture of what he can offer right now, in the coming 2/3 weeks.

Tuli Tuipulotu, EDGE, USC | Round 2, Pick 54 - The biggest surprises of the year! He has been nothing but amazing, and should be the current front runner for DROY. His double blitz package with Bosa, on the same side, is downright nasty! Been amongst the most productive rookie pass rushers, and his run support is amazing. Definitely a stud, and probably one of Telesco's better picks through the years.

Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State | Round 3, Pick 85 - Flashed in pre-season with his athleticism and his coverage, but injuries, and the coaches' trust on the guys in front of him (regardless if warranted or not), have seen him buried on the depth chart, struggling for any snaps.

Derius Davis, WR, TCU | Round 4, Pick 125 - Showing of his speed, has been featured as a gadget player, and is seeing his role increased. The fact he was out-snapping QJ early in the year was razing some eyebrows, but he has a clear skillset, that was on display since day one. Been great value as a top returner, as well.

Jordan McFadden, OG, Clemson | Round 5, Pick 156 - Showed some good things in pre-season, but is currently buried on the depth chart, as was expected.

Scott Matlock, DT, Boise State | Round 6, Pick 200 - Again another solid showing in pre-season, and buried on the depth chart, but has shown he can be a great hit with some development. Great instincts.

Max Duggan, QB, TCU | Round 7, Pick 239 - A head scratcher of a pick, when it happened, didn't make the 53 man roster, and is currently on the PS.

Elijah Dotson, RB , Northern Colorado | UDFA - Made the 53 man roster, and showed his speed in pre-season. Been struggling a bit in the regular season, mainly with pass protection, as is everyone behind Ekeler. RB4 with some special team snaps, for now.

Edited by kramxel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

In the last Decade 26 DT have been selected with 1st rd draft picks. Only 4 of them have recorded 3.5 sacks as a Rookie.

Aaron Donald (9)

Ed Oliver (5)

Daron Payne (5)

Sheldon Rankins (4)

Jalen Carter has 3.5 in his 1st 5 games!

Cox was hurt so Carter was finally able to get more snaps and just asserted himself.

@tyler735

I'm sure bresee is doing good for you guys but Carter had 20 QB pressures going into the game yesterday even if he only had 2 "QB Hits" and I -think- Carter has been seeing a lot of double teams though I don't have the stat in front of me. PFF has him graded at 92.2 as of the writing of this post.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:15 AM, Danger said:

Cox was hurt so Carter was finally able to get more snaps and just asserted himself.

@tyler735

I'm sure bresee is doing good for you guys but Carter had 20 QB pressures going into the game yesterday even if he only had 2 "QB Hits" and I -think- Carter has been seeing a lot of double teams though I don't have the stat in front of me. PFF has him graded at 92.2 as of the writing of this post.

No doubt Carter has been good. Bresee just continues to fly under the radar and is also having a great rookie campaign. He obviously had nowhere near the hype of Carter coming into the NFL, so I’m sure it will take a little longer for him to get the media hype.

Bresee has been seeing a ton of double teams through 5 weeks. He’s not just seeing a lot of double teams for a rookie, but is seeing among the most of any DT in the NFL. Bresee had 1-2 sacks negated by penalties, one of which was a strip sack fumble recovery. Both Bresee and Carter are having excellent rookie seasons so far for a DT.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/10/bryan-bresee-saints-defensive-tackles-nfl-double-team-rates-jalen-carter-stats/

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 2

FAU is showing sparks here and there

Rice arise is likely the future number one 

Wanya is riding the bench 

Chamarri has made some positive plays when given the chance

Thompson is sidelined

Coburn is riding the bench 

Jones had a penalty on special teams, but I’ve heard good things 

Chicago as of 10/10:

Darnell Wright (RT).... He's had some expected rough snaps for a rookie, but overall is pretty easily Chicago's best OL right now (and yes I know that's like being the smartest kid on the short bus, but he's grading out well). Even getting some pretty hilarious highlight reel destructions

Gervon Dexter Sr (DL/3T)... He started out the year rough, but this past week, played VERY well. Encouraging signs of growth, but we'll see how that translates going forward since our opponents had to pass the ball 55x in a row and he was able to just pass rush most of the night.

Tyrique Stevenson (CB) He had the most hype going into the year, but has struggled a bit (as rookies do).

Zacch Pickens (DL/NT) Hasn't  really stood out to my mind... I think they're playing him out of position at NT though. He struck me more as a 3T and Dexter more as a NT. He's taking rotational reps though, which I suppose is ok for the role

Roschon Johnson (RB) Already supplanted Donta Foreman as RB2, and frankly is the only RB on the team that can pass block, let alone also catch and run like an animal with physicality. Unfortunately, he has to learn to reign that physicality in a bit, because he tried to take out a safety, went helmet to helmet, and concussed himself on a massive and ultimately unnecessary hit. Longer term, if he can keep himself out of the concussion protocol and pick his big hits a little more wisely, he's the future here.

Tyler Scott (WR/KR)  He's returning kicks so that he has something to do. There is talent there, but he's a complete non factor in our receiving group right now. I genuinely don't understand why he hasn't gotten more chances. Maybe that's on him... but I'm grading him more of an "INCOMPLETE/UNKNOWN" right now.

Noah Sewell (LB), Terell Smith (CB), Travis Bell (DL) and Kendall Williamson (S): We're getting down to guys that aren't playing a ton, or if they are playing, aren't enough for my old brain to remember them doing it.  Terrell Smith(CB) This week was the lone exception, since he had to step in, and he honestly played very well. We'll see if he continues to get chances, since he was in a close competition with Tyrique Stevenson in training camp/preseason for a starting corner job.  Noah is a depth LB, Travis Bell is on the practice squad, and I have no idea if Williamson has ever touched the field.

• Like 1

Finally a Joey Porter Jr. sighting!!  Got to show that he is very good in press man.  I think they will move Patrick Petterson to nickel going forward.  

Broderick Jones looked solid but Clowney is not the pass rusher to challenge him (IMHO).  Jones was very good in run blocking.  Moore may be Wally Pip'ed.

I was disappointed that they did not get Darnell Washing more involved in the passing game. Still a great run blocker

Nick Herbig is in the rotation but needs some time to learn to set the edge rather than full pass rush all the time.

13 hours ago, tyler735 said:

No doubt Carter has been good. Bresee just continues to fly under the radar and is also having a great rookie campaign. He obviously had nowhere near the hype of Carter coming into the NFL, so I’m sure it will take a little longer for him to get the media hype.

Bresee has been seeing a ton of double teams through 5 weeks. He’s not just seeing a lot of double teams for a rookie, but is seeing among the most of any DT in the NFL. Bresee had 1-2 sacks negated by penalties, one of which was a strip sack fumble recovery. Both Bresee and Carter are having excellent rookie seasons so far for a DT.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/10/bryan-bresee-saints-defensive-tackles-nfl-double-team-rates-jalen-carter-stats/

Man... if the Falcons had an edge rusher who could pass rush, it would make a huge difference for them. Jarrett and Onyemata constantly getting doubles and beating them. An edge rusher like Danielle Hunter would be insanely good here.

Edited by scar988

Marvin Mims looks explosive - when he's on the field.   Problem is, he's not on the field much.  He's definitely learning the full route tree this year, so there's context, but he's also the only other WR who separates besides Jerry Jeudy.  Still, the future's pretty bright there, and we're likely to going to see a lot more of Mims as the season progresses.

Jaleel Mclaughlin looks like he's a much cheaper alternative than Javonte Williams (who in fairness, is only 12 months post-complicated ACL+ injury, so won't be at full explosion until next season in all likelihood).  Mclaughlin doesn't have enough size to be a workhorse, but DEN didn't really miss a beat with him & Perine in there vs. the Jets D.   I suspect we'll see him continue to eat into Javonte's workload as the season continues.  The FO will have a very interesting decision next offseason, they may be willing to let Javonte walk if his demands are too high. 

Drew Sanders is demonstrating why the jump to the NFL is such a big move for college players.  He's been out of position, and missed coverage assignments so badly vs. CHI that he only played ST's last week.   Still a world of talent, but learning the intricacies of ILB at the NFL, it's going to take some time.

Riley Moss has just returned from core muscle surgery, and been a healthy scratch for the first 2 weeks, then been ST-only for the last 2 games.  I expect if our D continues to suck in pass coverage outside of Simmons & PS2, he'll get the baptism by fire.

Our other R6-7 guys have been healthy inactives. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Epyon said:

Chicago as of 10/10:

Darnell Wright (RT).... He's had some expected rough snaps for a rookie, but overall is pretty easily Chicago's best OL right now (and yes I know that's like being the smartest kid on the short bus, but he's grading out well). Even getting some pretty hilarious highlight reel destructions

Gervon Dexter Sr (DL/3T)... He started out the year rough, but this past week, played VERY well. Encouraging signs of growth, but we'll see how that translates going forward since our opponents had to pass the ball 55x in a row and he was able to just pass rush most of the night.

Tyrique Stevenson (CB) He had the most hype going into the year, but has struggled a bit (as rookies do).

Zacch Pickens (DL/NT) Hasn't  really stood out to my mind... I think they're playing him out of position at NT though. He struck me more as a 3T and Dexter more as a NT. He's taking rotational reps though, which I suppose is ok for the role

Roschon Johnson (RB) Already supplanted Donta Foreman as RB2, and frankly is the only RB on the team that can pass block, let alone also catch and run like an animal with physicality. Unfortunately, he has to learn to reign that physicality in a bit, because he tried to take out a safety, went helmet to helmet, and concussed himself on a massive and ultimately unnecessary hit. Longer term, if he can keep himself out of the concussion protocol and pick his big hits a little more wisely, he's the future here.

Tyler Scott (WR/KR)  He's returning kicks so that he has something to do. There is talent there, but he's a complete non factor in our receiving group right now. I genuinely don't understand why he hasn't gotten more chances. Maybe that's on him... but I'm grading him more of an "INCOMPLETE/UNKNOWN" right now.

Noah Sewell (LB), Terell Smith (CB), Travis Bell (DL) and Kendall Williamson (S): We're getting down to guys that aren't playing a ton, or if they are playing, aren't enough for my old brain to remember them doing it.  Terrell Smith(CB) This week was the lone exception, since he had to step in, and he honestly played very well. We'll see if he continues to get chances, since he was in a close competition with Tyrique Stevenson in training camp/preseason for a starting corner job.  Noah is a depth LB, Travis Bell is on the practice squad, and I have no idea if Williamson has ever touched the field.

Agreed with this, however I would say I have been a bit more impressed with Tyrique Stevenson than you described, he's definitely had struggles, but I've really been impressed with his level of effort and physicality.

Wright looked pretty meh at first but the last two weeks (albeit against bad teams) he's been really solid.  We will have to see if he continues to improve.