Derek Carr. What's happened?

Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

Nope, it wasn't. It was an efficient season with a great supporting cast. People were acting like he was the second coming of Jesus:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=572654

"Efficient season with great supporting cast". You couldn't give him any more props if you tried to...

Those "people" aren't the norm. He had a very good season. No one said he was Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers 2.0. 

People crowned him early, that isn't an indictment on him as a player. That's more on them being premature.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

"Efficient season with great supporting cast". You couldn't give him any more props if you tried to...

Lol, that's exactly what it was.

3,937 yards

28 TD

6 INT

96.7 passer rating

A good run game. Crab and Coop for 16 games.  DVOA's #1 line according to adjusted sack percentage.

He wasn't exactly turning water into wine here. Matt Stafford or Kirk Cousins puts up a year like that and nobody blinks an eye.

Tough to come back from an injury.  He'll be back with a vengeance next year once the Raiders regroup defensively and offensively.  Marshawn Lynch was a mistake and doesn't belong in a team environment.  Carr is very far from having a BAD year.  Completion percentage still strong, QB rating still acceptable.  Write it off as a rut year for the Raiders as a whole. 

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He's clearly a bust.     Might as well trade him to the Steelers this offseason for Landry Jones and a conditional late round pick.     At least get something for the bum.

I'd guess there are Raiders fans out there who would genuinely do that.

We have some of the most mentally unstable, reactionary followers I've ever seen.

6 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

3,937 yards

28 TD

6 INT

96.7 passer rating

A good run game. Crab and Coop for 16 games.  DVOA's #1 line according to adjusted sack percentage.

He wasn't exactly turning water into wine here. Matt Stafford or Kirk Cousins puts up a year like that and nobody blinks an eye.

And #1 in dropped passes, which would adjust his passer rating to well above 100 if you adjusted for league average, something I brought up last year. He also didn't play a game, and factoring in heavy drops, you could have been looking at a 32-35 touchdown season. 

Carr was also the least sacked quarterback under pressure last year. Give credit where credit is due.

He also had the best passer rating in the 4th quarter as I recall. 

Crab and Coop alone is a weak argument, considering we had no one at the tight end position of worth. The run game only worked well because Carr opened up the run game and underneath passing game with his vertical passing, which I illustrated in the Colts game. Once Carr went down, our front got dominated and couldn't run the ball effectively last year.

I'm not saying he turned water into wine, but you're downplaying what was definitely one of the best 4 or 5 qb seasons last year.

He should be fine. Although people only care for recent news and stats, Carr plays with mid tier defense at best (0 INTs through first 9 games), and is recovering from a season ending injury with a new offensive coordinator. Cooper has been rough this year and they never had the legitimate number three receiver. Lynch was suppose to be the pre 16 Seahawks version of himself hasn't been truth. He's still at the very least a league average runner. 

9 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I'd guess there are Raiders fans out there who would genuinely do that.

We have some of the most mentally unstable, reactionary followers I've ever seen.

Steelers fanbase is right there with them, man.    I think alot of that comes from what I can only describe as "delusional entitlement".

I'm a Raider fan and I thought Carr was somewhat overrated last year. Not that he didn't deserve to be an MVP candidate, but people were calling him the next ARod. It's disrespectful to even mention the two in a sentence. Carr is a top 12 QB, with a chance in the future to maybe be top 5. But he's not a guy that's going to carry your team. That's not an insult, there are just very few of those guys out there and I don't believe he's one of them.

Carr needs a top tier Oline to be effective. He's not a guy that can function with alot of bodies in the pocket. He's not a guy that's good at improvising. Even though he is a solid athlete, you will hardly ever see him scramble for a first down. His poise is easily shaken if you hit him once and he will react by getting the ball out too quickly and not allowing plays to develop. He has alot to work on but he's easily still a top half QB in the NFL in only his 4th year.

I think Carr is having trouble trusting his OL and his WRs. They have been letting him down big time this year and the plays that are called always seem ineffective. As a result he has been inaccurate and indecisive because the confidence is gone at this point and needs to be rebuilt as this season winds down.

It's pretty simple. Downing is calling a pretty vanilla offense with little regard for getting his best players in positions to make plays. Donald Penn is aging and then held out. He wasn't going to play at the same level in 2017 and the hold out slowed him further. Lynch was a bad singing. He slows them down offensively and can be a distraction at times. Throw in a bad defense that doesn't get turnovers or create field position and you have the recipe for a down year.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:37 AM, Nzd07 said:

3,937 yards

28 TD

6 INT

96.7 passer rating

Matt Stafford has been in the league since he's been 12 years old.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:37 AM, Nzd07 said:

3,937 yards

28 TD

6 INT

96.7 passer rating

One major thing that  your forgetting to add to this:

Drops without any defensive contact over the last 2 seasons prior to week 14 of this year.

Team Total WOC
SF 73
OAK 72
NYG 71
PHI 66
NE 62
NYJ 62
IND 58
JAC 58
LARM 57
BAL 56
CHI 55
CLE 54
GB 54
LAC 54
BUF 51
KC 50
ARI 49
HOU 49
CAR 48
PIT 47
WAS 46
DET 45
TB 42
DEN 41
NO 41
SEA 41
ATL 40
MIA 37
TEN 34
MIN 33
DAL 31
CIN 28

That makes a pretty big difference don't you think?

He's a good case study for hyping a young QB too much. Hopefully those doing the same with Watson can take note. We need a larger sample size before we classify a young QB as the next whoever, or the face of the NFL for the next 10 years

With Carr, I'm going to assume it's a combination of;

He's hurt and worried - which is why he's slinging the ball in 2 seconds

He's about where he should be, given talent and last-season hype - so he'll be fine. 

Archived