Derek Carr. What's happened?

Hunter2_1

• 2 weeks later...

So Downing has to be gone, right? I mean, that's just not a fit for whatever reason. Jack has never been shy about throwing his coordinators to the wolves, and I have to imagine given that there is very clearly a disconnect between what the OC wants and what the 125 million dollar quarterback is doing that they can't keep going down this path waiting for it to work. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

So Downing has to be gone, right? I mean, that's just not a fit for whatever reason. Jack has never been shy about throwing his coordinators to the wolves, and I have to imagine given that there is very clearly a disconnect between what the OC wants and what the 125 million dollar quarterback is doing that they can't keep going down this path waiting for it to work. 

Not a chance in hell Downing is brought back. JDR was 50/50 to return as reported last week, bur I think his odds have worsened since. 

Carr excels at 2 things, making really quick, predetermined throws and tossing up a nice 50/50 jump ball deep down the field. He’ll just toss it up and his WRs are good enough to do 3 things: make the catch, bat it away, and/or draw a PI (the most frustrating). This is literally Carr’s game.

Take away his quick outs and put pressure on him and he turns into a bottom 10 QB and that might be generous.

Carr still has the pure arm talent and potential to be a top tier QB as we saw last season. That's why I am not freaking out. His year 4 regression is bad, but the entire offense has regressed majorly. The o-line in the run and pass game, WR's took a major step back, and our coaching has taken the biggest step back imaginable. You guys all saw how poor our gameplan is. The only aspect of our O that has gotten better is our TE play with Cook coming in.

Last year we were in max protect more than any other team, and we dominated on O. This year? We run the 5 wide more than another other team. LITERALLY THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT WE DID WELL. It's incredible that Downing has completely ruined our entire O. It's no doubt Carr is playing injured, scared and overall poorly, but I put alot of that on Downing putting him in positions to get killed/make mistakes.

Our blocking scheme was gone from a monstrous power scheme to a lot of zone for some damn reason. Again, the exact opposite of what we do well. 

50 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Isn't he playing with a broken back, essentially? 

If he is, then its not the wisest decision to play him when you are basically out of PO contention. Still, Ravens have an OC who isn't afraid of calling a QB-run inside the redzone with a QB who has looked injured for most of the season. So I wouldn´t put too much faith in some coaches decisions.

The worst thing possible happened to him: he let the defensive pressure get to him, which was his biggest knock coming out of college.

He needs a whole new coaching staff (maybe that happens this season?) And have someone work with him 1 on 1 to overcome this.

He's an extremely talented player, but he needs to be in a good situation for it to show. It sucks too because I wanted Minnesota to take him so badly in the '14 draft.

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The worst thing possible happened to him: he let the defensive pressure get to him, which was his biggest knock coming out of college.

He needs a whole new coaching staff (maybe that happens this season?) And have someone work with him 1 on 1 to overcome this.

He's an extremely talented player, but he needs to be in a good situation for it to show. It sucks too because I wanted Minnesota to take him so badly in the '14 draft.

He'd be lighting it with the Vikes right now. If Bradford and Keenum can put up solid numbers like that, a Carr led Vikings would probably be my Super Bowl Favorite atm.

Still think Bridgewater has a ton of potential. Hopefully you guys don't let him walk. Bradford will always have that injury bug and Keenum, while having an awesome year, is definitely not a franchise QB and the Vikes should not get caught up in his hype.

The Raiders got 30+ takeaways last year, one of the best in the league, which really helps an offense and the whole team, even if they are an otherwise bad defense.  Just like Saints in 09, or Patriots and Packers in 2011.  A defense that gets over 30 takeaways can more than make up for their otherwise bad play, especially when those teams have an offense that can take advantage of the turnovers.

Carr isn't getting that help this year, the Raiders are one of the worst in the league at takeaways.

He's pretty much the same QB he was last year, just with less spectacular catches from his WRs and a much worse offensive coordinator. Anyone who watched him without silver and black glasses on knew he was being ridiculously overhyped. Massive downgrade at OC(which I couldn't for the life of me figure out not retaining an OC who delivered a top 5 offense, I said it was stupid in the news thread when it was announced and it's even worse than I thought it'd be) + worse surrounding play has resulted in his lesser numbers, but he's not really any worse of a QB. He was just overrated last season.

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Carr excels at 2 things, making really quick, predetermined throws and tossing up a nice 50/50 jump ball deep down the field. He’ll just toss it up and his WRs are good enough to do 3 things: make the catch, bat it away, and/or draw a PI (the most frustrating). This is literally Carr’s game.

Take away his quick outs and put pressure on him and he turns into a bottom 10 QB and that might be generous.

So, he's crap?

The only thing he really has played for is competing against Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater. He had a big enough lead on Bortles that it wasn't worth trying for and Manziel is out of the league and Bridgewater was injured. If Bridgewater starts next year Carr will step up, or if Bortles continues to play well. Maybe even Jimmy Garoppolo can make him step up his game.

Archived