Is JJ McCarthy NFL-caliber?

There’s a QB thread, a thread on Nix vs Penix vs McCarthy, and probably a Michigan thread in the college subforum, so seems a little unnecessary.

If by NFL caliber you mean draftable, then sure. I would draft him. I just wouldn’t do it until like eight other QBs are already gone.

• Like 1

IMO the answer is yes. He has some physical tools that could make him an interesting NFL prospect but Michigan relies on running game so much I don't believe we've been able to see if he can go through progression fast enough. At this time if he landed in an offense that schemes players open he could have lots of early success but I wouldn't trust him if he had to read a defense and go through option 1, 2, and so on. That doesn't mean he can't do it but more so he hasn't been asked to do it. If he could land somewhere and learn for couple years I think it would be best, Otherwise offenses like Miami, San Fran, LAR, and maybe MIN would be good fits for him.

On 1/5/2024 at 4:22 AM, HerbertGOAT said:

He's AJ McCarron/Greg McElroy/Gino Torretta/Ken Dorsey with a plus arm and decent mobility. Draftable? Sure. Franchise QB? If by franchise QB, you mean that he will ensure you pick high enough to actually draft one, yeah.

I basically think he's Sam Darnold 2.0, just has a much better team/system around him.

24 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I basically think he's Sam Darnold 2.0, just has a much better team/system around him.

I don't think he's anywhere close to Darnold as a prospect or that he'd be better as a player. 

From what I've seen he's a mid-late round pick. 

24 minutes ago, ukjets21 said:

I don't think he's anywhere close to Darnold as a prospect or that he'd be better as a player. 

From what I've seen he's a mid-late round pick. 

FWIW I thought Darnold was a crap prospect, I didn't like him and thought he was way overrated. So that wasn't a compliment to either of them. lol

• Like 1

I have said it from the start  JJ and Bo have no business being in the 1st 2 rounds of this draft.  I don't think either of them were as good QB prospects tools wise as Ridder was coming out.  I think both of them have the same issue Ridder has as well in they are a 1 read and run type of QB who struggles with more complex systems that requires alot of motions and multiple reads and tougher competition. 

He is, some of the throws he makes are amazing. He definitely needs to be in the right system and needs more time to mature but I think he definitely has the tools to say the least. He has the tools to be a starter in the league

Edited by MSURacerDT55

On 1/4/2024 at 10:34 PM, G said:

Raiders need him bad. He can beat out Jimmy G and AOC just with his running ability. He should sit a year behind a vet. 

Good god no. He's a glorified game manager. I mean, if that's what you want, cool, but I don't.