Is JJ McCarthy NFL-caliber?

11 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Starting to feel like his ceiling is basically Matt Corral

This is exactly who he reminds me of. Maybe a slightly more polished version. Taylor Heineki (I'm too lazy to look up how to spell it) is also who comes to mind.

On 1/5/2024 at 2:22 AM, HerbertGOAT said:

He's AJ McCarron/Greg McElroy/Gino Torretta/Ken Dorsey with a plus arm and decent mobility. Draftable? Sure. Franchise QB? If by franchise QB, you mean that he will ensure you pick high enough to actually draft one, yeah.

I mean, ultimately I'd compare him to a more successful (collegiately) Gardner Minshew with a better arm.  And that's the career path I'd expect from him.  Very capable backup that will probably bounce from team to team because he can come in as an injury-fill and does just enough to make other teams think they can win with him.  Mack Jones with a better brain?  (That sounds harsh)  He's not a guy you take in the 1st, probably not in the 2nd (though perceived scarcity could push him up).  His real value would be in the 3rd or 4th round where, if he does happen to exceed expectations, he's returning tremendous ROI while also affording a team the ability to invest the more premium picks in surrounding him/the team with more talent at cursory positions or defense.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

He throws like five passes per game 

It's an incredibly low sample size being offered and he's got a number of other reasons to, at minimum, question the success he's had (pretty impeccable OL in front of him that was able to survive losing a major cog and barely missed a beat), a scheme that largely "protects" him in that he really isn't asked to do a whole hell of a lot, weapons that will be playing on Sundays in the near future).  Those alone, if he doesn't have elite tools (and by all accounts he doesn't), have traditionally been enough to take Day 1 and probably Day 2 off the table.  Am I willing to say that he can't succeed at the NFL level?  No.  We've seen enough instances of outliers to make that a naive conclusion to arrive at.  But, barring the perfect storm combination similar to McDaniels in Denver (and even then, you could at least make the argument that Tebow had intangibles that gave him a stronger argument - just not in the 1st), he's going to have to be far more hopeful for the Brock Purdy (absolute best case outside of Brady who is such a distant outlier the comparison shouldn't merit being made) or Jarrett Stidham pathway.  And to be honest, based off of what we've seen thus far, I think you might be able to make a cogent position that Tyson Bagent is more toolsy than McCarthy is.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 3:18 PM, Dr LBC said:

It's an incredibly low sample size being offered and he's got a number of other reasons to, at minimum, question the success he's had (pretty impeccable OL in front of him that was able to survive losing a major cog and barely missed a beat), a scheme that largely "protects" him in that he really isn't asked to do a whole hell of a lot, weapons that will be playing on Sundays in the near future).  Those alone, if he doesn't have elite tools (and by all accounts he doesn't), have traditionally been enough to take Day 1 and probably Day 2 off the table.  Am I willing to say that he can't succeed at the NFL level?  No.  We've seen enough instances of outliers to make that a naive conclusion to arrive at.  But, barring the perfect storm combination similar to McDaniels in Denver (and even then, you could at least make the argument that Tebow had intangibles that gave him a stronger argument - just not in the 1st), he's going to have to be far more hopeful for the Brock Purdy (absolute best case outside of Brady who is such a distant outlier the comparison shouldn't merit being made) or Jarrett Stidham pathway.  And to be honest, based off of what we've seen thus far, I think you might be able to make a cogent position that Tyson Bagent is more toolsy than McCarthy is.

Who are the weapons you think will be playing on Sunday in the near future? I think Michigan was a really good college football team but do they have an offensive player other than McCarthy that goes in the second round or higher? 

15 hours ago, jofos said:

Who are the weapons you think will be playing on Sunday in the near future? I think Michigan was a really good college football team but do they have an offensive player other than McCarthy that goes in the second round or higher? 

They have some talent. Their TE is a future 1. Edwards is a stud, as was Corum. Roman Wilson is a mid rounder who is better than he gets credit for. Zinter is gonna be a stud in the NFL. Michigan has a good amount of talent on the roster.

I like McCarthy. He has some nice tools to work with. A quick release, solid zip on all throws, good decision maker, great athlete…he’s just raw. 

16 hours ago, jofos said:

I can't say with his injury, but I absolutely would have taken Zinter in the first two rounds. That's a guy I'm really looking at for the niners given Burford's struggle at RG. 

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

I can't say with his injury, but I absolutely would have taken Zinter in the first two rounds. That's a guy I'm really looking at for the niners given Burford's struggle at RG. 

Even with the injury I think Zinter is still the best guard in the draft. That guy is really good

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

Even with the injury I think Zinter is still the best guard in the draft. That guy is really good

I like Beebe a lot (he’s IOL 1 for me right now), but Zinter was right up there. As a fan of a team that could really use OG help but also has very little draft resources, I am hoping he falls to the fourth or fifth round.

I don’t think either he or Beebe were looking like anything more than Day 2 guys even with a totally clean bill of health. So maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heavy_Flow said:

There's only one way to find out and someone is going to draft him.  

Pressure would be higher if he was taken in 1st.  3rd round with 2 studying/practicing seasons could make him NFL qb for real.

On 1/9/2024 at 12:43 PM, goldfishwars said:

He throws like five passes per game 

Yeah.  I just don't even know how you can formulate any sort of confident read on his ability as a passer based on what he's done in College.  He basically just hands the ball off repeatedly, lets his team completely dominate the game with the run game and defense, and is occasionally asked to take a few shots passing to absolutely wide open receivers on basically an easy first read toss.

He's basically a Jeans Model type prospect.  Is about the most i can even confidently say.  He's got the build and maybe some solid NFL caliber tools with his arm and running ability.  He kinda looks the part of a good QB prospect and he wins a ton of games.  But none of it puts on tape a lot of indication that he's actually a really good Quarterback.

He's gonna have an absolutely massive adjustment to the NFL level.  The time and space and ease of what he was asked to do with Michigan is going to completely evaporate.  It's really anybody's guess how he adapts to that, or whether he even has the tools to do so.   

Definitely a prospect who should be given time to sit and learn and ease into what it's like to face actual pressure, make multiple reads, fit balls in to tight windows, have the offense actually rest on your shoulders, etc.  But because of where he's likely to fall in the draft, he's probably going to be taken by a desperate team that was "too good" to land one of the actual top QB prospects, but really needs some sort of a solution immediately.  

I just really don't know what to make of him though.  The dominance of the rest of that team and situation in which he was asked to do basically nothing...makes him a total mystery box to me.  A "ball of clay" type, but without any particularly evident "elite" tools to work with.  Just a lot of maybe decent or slightly above average ones.  Even as a runner he's just...okay, not next level dynamic.  Just a very strange profile.

• Like 2