2023 NFC Championship: 3) Detroit Lions @ 1) San Francisco 49ers

notthatbluestuff

Who wins the NFC?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC?

• Detroit Lions
    • San Francisco 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 11:40 PM

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I think it's kind of insane, the way people are pinning this game on Campbell being aggressive.  That's the way this whole thing works.  Live by the sword, die by the sword.

You can't reasonably expect it to work out every time.  Or to only risk it when it converts.  That's not how it works.

I think you have to understand the situation better. And my guess is he learns from this. Kick the two field goals and this is probably a different outcome. Just sucks for the Lions but Campbell is a good coach. He’ll be fine. 

Edited by lavar703

These championship games really just showed who has been here before and who hasn’t.  Both Baltimore and Detroit shot themselves in the foot time after time, while the two playoff vet teams reaped the benefits. 

• Like 1

Bag him for the 4th downs or whatever, but by far the worst call by Campbell (or my future guy Ben Johnson, not sure) was the choice to run the ball on 3rd and goal, and to then burn the timeout.

That ended the game, right there. Just throw the ball on 3rd down, kick the FG if you fail, and most importantly keep your 3 timeouts intact so you can get the ball back if you stuff them. Burning that timeout forced them into the hopeless onside kick. Inexcusably bad decision.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

The sad reality is that there is zero guarantee that Detroit will be back anytime soon. That's how I felt when the Falcons blew it. It's not a consolation. Just painful.

They will take a step back once they lose Ben Johnson in the next couple days. Campbell’s culture is nice, but Johnson’s offense is what brought them here 

5 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

The trick is to have it bounce super high and your guys just tackle all the jumping WRs. These squib kicks don’t work ever. You’re trying to catch it or have one of their guys touch it and play bouncy bounce. Kickers for some reason simply don’t kick it high. 

I mean, the whole thing with the squib is trying to get it to bite weird and take that big, high bounce.  It just almost never actually works.  It's hard to do and you basically just have to get lucky.