New rules proposed by NFL & competition committee; Hip-drop tackles officially banned

RaidersAreOne

I think a lot of the "how are they going to defense" complaints ring hollow because we all understand that the people making these decisions (the owners) do not particularly care if defense is possible.  The NFL is a more valuable product if the average game is 55-52 than if it was instead 10-7.

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think a lot of the "how are they going to defense" complaints ring hollow because we all understand that the people making these decisions (the owners) do not particularly care if defense is possible.  The NFL is a more valuable product if the average game is 55-52 than if it was instead 10-7.

I think that’s the point.

Most here enjoy real football and some semblance of football. Most other “more points” fans are stupid. But hey, that’s the leagues demographic. Just don’t expect people like me to continue watching when it comes to that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

We're not asking it sincerely. We're midwesterners, asking passive aggressive questions is how we tell other people we're seething inside.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I think that’s the point.

Most here enjoy real football and some semblance of football. Most other “more points” fans are stupid. But hey, that’s the leagues demographic. Just don’t expect people like me to continue watching when it comes to that.

I've been watching less and less football each year. Just gives me more time to do more outdoor things. 

• Like 1

You guys do know defenses weren’t always using this tackle form right? I get the criticisms about how it’ll be enforced, but there are legitimate concerns about how hip dropping has crept into the game more and more and it’s high propensity to cause injury.

3 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

They’re trying to stop defenders from immediately dropping their weight once they make contact. Players were dropping their weight directly right behind players legs to get them to stop. The result of that was causing serious injuries, so it should be banned.

They tackle like that because the NFL has spent the better part of a decade legislating other ways to tackle out of the game. You can't hit them high, you can't hit them low and now you can't use your body weight as leverage?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

You guys do know defenses weren’t always using this tackle form right? I get the criticisms about how it’ll be enforced, but there are legitimate concerns about how hip dropping has crept into the game more and more and it’s high propensity to cause injury.

Just explain to me how DBs are supposed to tackle TEs from a trail position now without getting a penalty. Are you just supposed to let the guy score now?

26 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We're not asking it sincerely. We're midwesterners, asking passive aggressive questions is how we tell other people we're seething inside.

“What’s the end goal?”with a sincere tone is an alpha off the turnbuckle move in a staff meeting 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, G said:

I've been watching less and less football each year. Just gives me more time to do more outdoor things. 

My man, you’re talking to a guy who canceled Sunday Ticket and was picking jalapeños in his garden the day before thanksgiving this year 😂. Amen

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Just explain to me how DBs are supposed to tackle TEs from a trail position now without getting a penalty. Are you just supposed to let the guy score now?

Lol what. Same way tacklers always have, pin the legs. You don’t have to swing and drop a hip down. No idea how this became about small guys tackling bigger dudes, it’s an easier technique for bigger linebackers to pin their weight on smaller receivers or running backs. 

Like the reason that players adopted the hip drop tackle is that it's an effective way to stop the guy you're tackling from gaining any more yards.  If you do the old "pin the legs"tackle they may gain a couple of yards by falling forward instead.  I think somehow the game can survive this.