2024 Packers Draft Immediate Thoughts

Favorite Pick  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite pick of the 2024 Packers draft?

• Jordan Morgan
    • Edgerrin Cooper
    • Javon Bullard
    • Marshawn Lloyd
    • Ty'Ron Hopper
    • Evan Williams
    • Jacob Monk
    • Kitan Oladapo
    • Travis Glover
    • Michael Pratt
    • Kalen King
    • UDFA - Provide Name

Jordan Morgan - Hated the pick initially (not because of the position, I just really didn't like Morgan), but now I'm not upset about it at all.  He has the tools, so our OL staff will probably turn him into an all-pro.

Bullard and Cooper - My favorites and I'm about equal on them because I think they're going to pair really well with McKinney and Quay.

Lloyd - I actually like him quite a bit.  He was pretty much the only one who jumped out at me when I started scouting (I mentioned him here very early on) but I wasn't sure if they would want him due to his supposed fumbling issue, plus I was unsure if they wanted another short running back.

Hopper - Thought it was early but I get it.

Williams - I know zero about him so I'm trusting Gute on this one.

Monk - Didn't know anything about him but I briefly watched some film and the guy can really, really move.

Oladapo - I liked him and am glad they got him.

Glover - Developmental guy, doesn't look very athletic on film (and his testing confirmed that), but let's see what our staff can do with him.

Pratt - Awesome late pick up.  I had been hoping for him since round 5.  Should be able to push Clifford for the QB2 spot.

King - My initial reaction was LOL but honestly, this is another awesome late pick up.  The guy was really good in 2022.  Don't know what happened in 2023 but I feel like GB is the perfect place for him to come in and learn and focus on football and get his game back to where it needs to be.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

I think my biggest problem is our first pick was the 7th of the board at his position. 

Hard to add talent when you're grabbing the leftovers. 

Part of what pushed him down was that it was a very strong class for OLine in round one.  Throw in strong class for QB and WR and we end up getting what might actually be a bit of a bargain.  

20 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Part of what pushed him down was that it was a very strong class for OLine in round one.  Throw in strong class for QB and WR and we end up getting what might actually be a bit of a bargain.  

He was also playing his first year back from a significant knee injury.  He was planning to enter the draft before he got hurt, and decided to do the rehab and stay in school.  And while I do think it is a valid argument to say he was player X at the position, he also has the traits that the Packers look for.  He has the requisite size, was a team captain, and apparently works his *** off.  I don't know what number tackle David Bakhtiari was in 2013, but he is second in wAV in the entire 2013 class, only behind Travis Kelce, despite missing like 3 seasons.  That draft featured 5 first round tackles and 3 of them were top 5 picks.  So while Morgan is the 7th tackle right now it will come down to work ethic, injury luck, and the coaching staff.  Morgan appears to have at least two of those qualities already. 

1 hour ago, Smidgeon said:

I think my biggest problem is our first pick was the 7th of the board at his position. 

Bet he wasn't 7th at his position on Gute's board. Also, it's not where you start it's where you finish. It is a certainty that the guys who went in front of him will have career success in descending order from where they were picked. 

You have to trust the guy who run the last two drafts for us. He knows what he's doing. 

1 hour ago, Smidgeon said:

This draft set the record for most OL taken in the first round. OL was deep

15 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

iirc 5 of our draft picks were team captains.  The leadership on this team is going to special from top to bottom.

and GB still has Jaire Alexander as a self made Captain!!!!

• Like 2

This was a draft Gute said screw it, I'm fixing the Safety and ILB rooms. Feel like mission accomplished. All I can say now is that we'll be crushing fools over the MOF. We picked up some nasty hard hitting defenders.

Looks like they targeted guys who are sure tacklers and can get people on the ground. No more chicken wing forearm tackles, but guys who know how to wrap up, which will be a refreshing change.

Love the RB, kid has some burst and love the fact he's got fresh legs coming out of college with his limited use. Could see him pushing Dillon to RB3.

Not going to pretend I study prospects like many on this board. Many of these guys I never heard of, but I trust our GM and scouts with these guys. Watching their tape, half of them look like first year contributors and the rest quality depth. Think we had another solid draft class that filled a lot of weaknesses. Solid B.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Smidgeon said:

I mentioned this in his thread but I think it really depends on what you consider "his position". If it's OL and you had him at #10 I wouldn't argue too much. If it's LT and you had him at #3 I wouldn't argue either.

I have really no new insights on any of these guys, my impressions are mostly based on the opinions voiced here. 

I have a bad feeling that after two pretty great drafts we are just statistically likely to have a stinker.  That’s what worries me the most.  

Just from the brief packages I saw of both guys, I liked the OK OT more than Morgan. Hopefully his versatility makes him the better choice. 

Also a bit concerned about all the optimism I hear about Bullard.  Just reminds me of all the guys saying how great Josh Jackson was gonna be.  (note: I’m not comparing the players, just the optimism surrounding them). 

I realize this is a Debbie downer post, but not super excited about this class—though to be honest, if we stay healthy, we probably only need Cooper to pan out to be great this year. 

Can't complain about Morgan. I didn't love the pick, but if he works out at tackle then that's good value.

I thought they were within easy trade up range for some of the top defenders, but it doesn't seem like they were even considering boundary corners, defensive tackles, or edge rushers. 

Liked the Cooper pick, but Walker's been bust thus far so I'm in wait and see mode.

Bullard was my favorite pick, by far. I would have been happy with him at #25.

Completely baffled by Lloyd, Hopper, and Williams. Felt like they could have waited to nab a backup running back until later, while Hopper and Williams as special teamers felt like luxury picks.

Monk seems like a typical Packers offensive line pick, which is good.

Glover is a nice practice squad project, and Pratt may end up a quality backup. 

King was just very funny.

20 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I have really no new insights on any of these guys, my impressions are mostly based on the opinions voiced here. 

I have a bad feeling that after two pretty great drafts we are just statistically likely to have a stinker.  That’s what worries me the most.  

Just from the brief packages I saw of both guys, I liked the OK OT more than Morgan. Hopefully his versatility makes him the better choice. 

Also a bit concerned about all the optimism I hear about Bullard.  Just reminds me of all the guys saying how great Josh Jackson was gonna be.  (note: I’m not comparing the players, just the optimism surrounding them). 

I realize this is a Debbie downer post, but not super excited about this class—though to be honest, if we stay healthy, we probably only need Cooper to pan out to be great this year. 

I worry most about Morgan. He looked capable in the highlights I saw, and I suppose you could say he moves smoothly and is a good technician. But there doesn't seem to be anything very special about his game either. Let's hope for the best, but he seems to be Sherrod all over again; he has just enough game to have been good in college.

After that the draft took off for us in a very good way. I count Cooper and Bullard as immediate and positively impactful starters. I think Monk will be a starter down the road.  Lloyd, Williams, Oladapo and King will be contributors. Hopper I can't get a read on. I accept the local enthusiasm for Pratt's ability to compete for backup QB as well-placed.

I think it was a really good draft just based on Cooper, Bullard and Lloyd. If Morgan hits it will be a ****ing great draft.

I'm a S guy at heart, so for me it's easily Bullard. I easily considered him the best true S in the draft and a perfect flexible counterpart for McKinney. I don't often jump on rookies as "my guy" but both Bullard and Cooper check all the boxes for me.

Which leads us to Cooper. I think the days of meaningful distinction for different LB positions is gone. Walker already fit the prototype I would look for and Cooper fits that mold perfectly. Having two guys that can chase and cover will make this defense scary if Hafley is a good DC.

Morgan is a guy I didn't watch much because I was looking for LT and everyone listed him as G. Since Thursday I've watched a good bit and definitely like this pick too. I think he's going to take that spot from Walker pretty quickly. It's hard to not be excited about getting Love a potential elite pass blocking at LT at pick 25.

Lloyd is another one to get excited for. Yes he needs to work on two big things, ball security and blocking, but he is an explosive RB to break the edge after pounding more straight ahead with Jacobs. You gotta love his explosion 

Evan Williams I'm probably higher on than most. I can see him in a big nickle package as the 5th DB being an in the box S instead of a slot CB. Not saying it'll be the main nickle package, but the grouping could be a useful tool in the box.

Tyron Hopper I have no strong feelings about. He's ok. Fits a position and giving you a guy who plays a bit more old school crashing the line style RB. I think he could very well be the third LB in the 4-3 but that's not a ton of snaps either.

Monk, you gotta like the movement skills and smarts. He has potential but he needs at least a year IMO in a NFL weight room.

Oladapo I like too and wow. I love how they addressed that position. Barry ignored the middle of the field and Hafley wants to focus on it, so they did their best to give him tools. Oladapo needs to learn to see it develop in real time but if they can teach him that, his physical tools are there.

Glover is whatever. I don't see much upside but he gives good effort and could develop into a useful depth piece.

Pratt and King fall into the same bucket. Late 7 fliers that if they hit could hit big. Hard to argue with that late.

This might be my favorite draft class yet.