Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

13 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'm not saying it is all his fault.  My point is that a QB capable of turning guys into All-Pros wouldn't have struggled for 3 consecutive seasons like Goff did.  

Right. Goff definitely struggled years 4 through 6 in the NFL after a fantastic third season that ended in a crushing playoff defeat.

Wait...

So did Stafford!

Goff years 4-6: 65.6% completion percentage, 3,946 yards, 20 TDs, 12 INTs, 7.1 yards per attempt, 89 QB rating, 21-23-1 record.

Stafford years 4-6: 59.6% completion percentage, 4,627 yards, 23 TDs, 16 INTs, 7.1 yards per attempt, 83 QB rating, 22-26 record.

Whoa.

(Also, both led the league in passing attempts in year 4)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Lmao what? Who was giving him even half of that on the open market?

Any team that needed a QB. 

Unless you're set up to secure an early-middle of the 1st round QB, this is your only other option in reality (to hand out a massive deal in FA).

I mean Kirk Cousins is basically in same stratospehere as Goff and got $100M gauranteed coming off an achilles tear and is 6 years older. Just think about that. Goff getting the extra $75M in gaurantees isn't really that crazy.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Are you telling me that Goff isn't an elite QB, but can outplay elite QBs in certain circumstances? Why aren't elite QBs outplaying Goff when they're eliteness elevates everything? 

Also, did anyone know who Ben Johnson was before 2022? 

If you're good with a QB that can't play when the pocket isn't perfect around him, we're all good with it too in the NFCN. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

If you're good with a QB that can't play when the pocket isn't perfect around him, we're all good with it too in the NFCN. 

I'm good with you being good with finishing behind him and his team in the standings. 

• Like 1

I don't really think this is that notable. Teams can pay whatever they want to a QB who is above the bar. You can define the bar how you want to, but Goff is definitely good enough for them.

But again... Never going to be over how wound up everyone was over Lamar's contract.

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Which playoff run? Or games??? He's played in 6 games officially. 5 realistically. One a rain game. 

You think he struggled/was lackluster in the majority of those games??? 

He hasn't been great. He hasn't been a problem in those 5 games. 

But his numbers are substantially down pretty much across the board in the playoffs compared to the regular season. He's not as bad as Goff was with the Rams or Jimmy was or anything, but the offense also ceases to run at an elite clip for some reason. I mentioned it last year during the playoff run that it was hard to separate what was on his shoulders and what was Shanny in terms of the reason for the backslide in the playoffs, but so far it's been a real thing.  Now, its the playoffs, so you don't expect elite level numbers to carry over 1 for 1 but Purdahan haven't done anything so far that makes me feel comfortable that they are going to smash teams in the playoffs either. But he's done a pretty good job rising to the moment in several instances, which says a lot about Purdy. 

Have to give him time. He's not even technically in his prime yet as a QB. We'll see if there is more room to grow. 

41 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Right. Goff definitely struggled years 4 through 6 in the NFL after a fantastic third season that ended in a crushing playoff defeat.

Wait...

So did Stafford!

Goff years 4-6: 65.6% completion percentage, 3,946 yards, 20 TDs, 12 INTs, 7.1 yards per attempt, 89 QB rating, 21-23-1 record.

Stafford years 4-6: 59.6% completion percentage, 4,627 yards, 23 TDs, 16 INTs, 7.1 yards per attempt, 83 QB rating, 22-26 record.

Whoa.

(Also, both led the league in passing attempts in year 4)

I guess I'm not sure what point you are making or if you are just comparing the two.  One, most people did not consider Stafford a top 10 QB and he had a lot of detractors.  And two, the Lions went on to have 3 consecutive double-digit losing seasons a year after making Stafford the highest paid player.  So I'm not really sure he's the best example to use to defend teams giving these big money deals to QBs who had a middling run for multiple seasons.

• Like 1

Good for Goff. The Lions were one of the most enjoyable teams to watch last year. I hope his and the teams success continues. As a fellow suffering fan of a bottom-feeder its nice to see one of us get out lol. Probably like watching one of your buddies leave prison while you stay behind. A little jealous but still happy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

But again... Never going to be over how wound up everyone was over Lamar's contract.

Jackson was a league MVP prior to signing the contract and now a 2 time league MVP. People were dumb to be skeptical of his contract. Goff isn’t the same caliber QB making elite caliber QB money.

I am great full for every day that passes that the Jones's are who they are!

Dak and Cee Dee are sitting back and smiling after every one of these QB/WR contracts are completed. 

1 hour ago, Jameson_Neat said:

I'm good with you being good with finishing behind him and his team in the standings. 

Lions fans becoming cocky sure is something. Detroit about to find out how hard it is to maintain success not having top 10 picks every year. 

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

What would Goff need to do to get into the HOF?

Either ride the coattails of a successful team to multiple Super Bowl victories, or start putting up some impressive individual seasons that culminate in awards and honors. Right now he's responsible for giving the Rams a Super Bowl with them trading him away, which doesn't exactly bolster his resume.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Not going to read through 10 pages, and I’m sure it’s been said, but Josh Allen’s contract is such a blessing going forward for the Bills lol.

Haven't read this thread either but that is like the second most common post in contract extension threads. It goes a little like this:

1. "He's not worth that kind of money."

2. "Player X of the team I root for" contract is looking good now.

3. Use the thread to pimp a player of your favorite team who is better "Player X must be smiling right now". 

And a new one popularized by my fellow Eagles fans:

4. This contract is going to look good in a couple of years. 

• Like 2