With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

11 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I have a tough time imagining the Giants are insane enough to pass on a QB. Would be an all-time stupid move.

Yes, I feel the exact same way, and have said as much, but consider this:

1.  They now know CLE is going QB 1.1 with CLE getting Hyde and NYJ moving up.   There is no reason to say you aren't considering QB at 1.2, it doesn't fake out CLE at all and it doesn't change CLE's plans.   It won't change NYJ's plans.   If anything, saying you want QB would raise the pick's value.  

2.  NYG GM's Gettleman's committed repeatedly to Eli for the next 2+ years.  Now, easy answer - lying season, right?  Here's the thing - after last year's benching, the wave of sentiment for Eli in NYG is really high.  I think it's a MASSIVE mistake - last year was dumb because they benched him for Geno freaking Smith.  That made zero sense.  But moving on made a ton of sense.  But this has also created a situation where the NYG fanbase and media don't want a repeat with Eli next year.   In that respect, Gettleman would have been better served to be honest if he was thinking QB, and say it up front - but time and again, he's said Eli is their 2+ year plan.  That's nuts, but it's on record.   Again, normally in any other city, big deal.   But in NY, after the way the Eli benching was handled - the coach and GM lost their jobs.   No way the FO would risk a PR disaster - which again, isn't with a 1.2 QB pick.  But a 1.2 pick and stating Eli is their guy for the next 2+ years?   That's where it becomes more believable.

Now, GM Gettleman could change his tune and be more open to 1.2 QB - I mean, like you said, it's what I think too.   They'd be nuts not to pick anyone but the 2nd QB available.   But I guess Barkley is plan B.  On that front, I could see it.   I think we'll see soon enough - if they are going QB, it should be leaking more and the PR campaign should change - it's curious that it's gone this way so far, though, given disinformation doesn't affect CLE's decision, and saying you want QB should only raise your asking price.

14 hours ago, germ-x said:

I don’t disagree.  But as you said.  A franchise QB makes it easier.  If Denver passes up that chance to roll with Keenum and to continue the search for one it’s a colossal mistake.  Look forward to another 15 years of mediocrity with a few glimmers of hope like the season Denver made it to the AFCCG with Plummer.

Elway is scared, that’s my opinion on it.  It was far easier and far more fan appealing to pick up a guy like Keenum.  After failing with Osweiler and Lynch blowing the #5 pick on a QB would have sent fans into even more of riot.  The safe play was Keenum and sell fans on contending.  Starting a rookie with the 5th pick is admitting to a rebuild, which uneducated fans don’t understand in Bronco Country.

This is spot-on. The plan, and I've said it for the better part of a week now, is to get a competent game-manager like Case, surround him with as much talent as possible and hope he can repeat his 2017 feat in Minnesota. With Brady, Ben and Rivers on the final few laps of their respective careers, the hope is that in a weakened AFC that plan is good enough to keep the team in playoff contention. If we scratch out a handful of 10-6 type seasons and get a Wild Card game it will be palatable to fans enough that Ellis can continue to operate the franchise at enough of a profit until one of Mr. B's kids is ready to take the reigns. 

This, for the record, is not the way I would go. I would do whatever I could to get one of Rosen, Darnold or Allen, take it on the chin this year and hope that he pans out in the future and, in doing so, get us another premium draft pick next year where we could land a difference-maker at a key position. One step back to take two steps forward, in other words. Oh, and I'd hire a real head coach instead of one of Matt Russell's frat brothers. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yes, I feel the exact same way, and have said as much, but consider this:

1.  They now know CLE is going QB 1.1 with CLE getting Hyde and NYJ moving up.   There is no reason to say you aren't considering QB at 1.2, it doesn't fake out CLE at all and it doesn't change CLE's plans.   It won't change NYJ's plans.   If anything, saying you want QB would raise the pick's value.  

2.  NYG GM's Gettleman's committed repeatedly to Eli for the next 2+ years.  Now, easy answer - lying season, right?  Here's the thing - after last year's benching, the wave of sentiment for Eli in NYG is really high.  I think it's a MASSIVE mistake - last year was dumb because they benched him for Geno freaking Smith.  That made zero sense.  But moving on made a ton of sense.  But this has also created a situation where the NYG fanbase and media don't want a repeat with Eli next year.   In that respect, Gettleman would have been better served to be honest if he was thinking QB, and say it up front - but time and again, he's said Eli is their 2+ year plan.  That's nuts, but it's on record.   Again, normally in any other city, big deal.   But in NY, after the way the Eli benching was handled - the coach and GM lost their jobs.   No way the FO would risk a PR disaster - which again, isn't with a 1.2 QB pick.  But a 1.2 pick and stating Eli is their guy for the next 2+ years?   That's where it becomes more believable.

Now, GM Gettleman could change his tune and be more open to 1.2 QB - I mean, like you said, it's what I think too.   They'd be nuts not to pick anyone but the 2nd QB available.   But I guess Barkley is plan B.  On that front, I could see it.   I think we'll see soon enough - if they are going QB, it should be leaking more and the PR campaign should change - it's curious that it's gone this way so far, though, given disinformation doesn't affect CLE's decision, and saying you want QB should only raise your asking price.

You're right about the PR firestorm the Eli benching caused. Did you hear Mike Franchesca's rant? Absolutely epic. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You're right about the PR firestorm the Eli benching caused. Did you hear Mike Franchesca's rant? Absolutely epic. 

Yeah, it belongs in the HoF for broadcasters.  17 minutes of pure unadulterated rage with pretty much spot-on analysis on McAdoo & co.

Chubb is going to be a really good player, but I can’t see the Broncos picking him. I think if it’s not Mayfield/Allen, it will be Quenton Nelson and this team will hang its hat on having a dominant run game. I think the front office has an unrealistic view of the level of talent on this defense (Von and CHJ are the only two game changers left) as well as Shane Ray’s potential as our #2 edge rusher. And the offense really does need more blue chip players, whereas it would be more of a luxury on defense. But if it’s not addressed this year, it could very well become the area of greatest need in 2019. The Broncos cannot afford to pay either Ray or Barrett going forward. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Chubb is going to be a really good player, but I can’t see the Broncos picking him. I think if it’s not Mayfield/Allen, it will be Quenton Nelson and this team will hang its hat on having a dominant run game. I think the front office has an unrealistic view of the level of talent on this defense (Von and CHJ are the only two game changers left) as well as Shane Ray’s potential as our #2 edge rusher. And the offense really does need more blue chip players, whereas it would be more of a luxury on defense. But if it’s not addressed this year, it could very well become the area of greatest need in 2019. The Broncos cannot afford to pay either Ray or Barrett going forward. 

The argument that really works against Chubb would be the team balance argument you mentioned.   

I would have no problem with Chubb at 1.5 as he could easily be overall BPA left but investing on D would be again seen as building the D and neglecting the O.   I love Chubb if we get him I won’t complain assuming Rosen / Darnold are gone (which seems a given now).  But I think it’s O one way of the other - QB or Barkley / Nelson.  Chubb is right there with Barkley / Nelson on the big board with very little gap between Nelson / Chubb so in those cases need works as tie breaker.  

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The argument that really works against Chubb would be the team balance argument you mentioned.   

I would have no problem with Chubb at 1.5 as he could easily be overall BPA left but investing on D would be again seen as building the D and neglecting the O.   I love Chubb if we get him I won’t complain assuming Rosen / Darnold are gone (which seems a given now).  But I think it’s O one way of the other - QB or Barkley / Nelson.  Chubb is right there with Barkley / Nelson on the big board with very little gap between Nelson / Chubb so in those cases need works as tie breaker.  

Yeah, but part of being great at drafting (which as of late with Elway hasn’t been the case) is being able to project the draft and manipulate it.

There isn’t another DE like Chubb that can be had anywhere else in the draft.

The OL is loaded with these guys from the late 1st-2nd round.  Now guys like Wynn, Hernandez, Daniels, Price, Ragnow, and even RTs (let’s not forget we need one of those) Miller, Williams, Crosby (Williams/Crosby also can project at OG), McGlinchey aren’t at Nelson’s level but all have day 1 starter ability (all have pro bowl upside as well). Denver also has the picks to move up and target one of these guys in the late 1st if they wanted too.  I honestly think they could sit at #40 and a few of them will likely still be available.

17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yeah, but part of being great at drafting (which as of late with Elway hasn’t been the case) is being able to project the draft and manipulate it.

There isn’t another DE like Chubb that can be had anywhere else in the draft.

The OL is loaded with these guys from the late 1st-2nd round.  Now guys like Wynn, Hernandez, Daniels, Price, Ragnow, and even RTs (let’s not forget we need one of those) Miller, Williams, Crosby (Williams/Crosby also can project at OG), McGlinchey aren’t at Nelson’s level but all have day 1 starter ability (all have pro bowl upside as well). Denver also has the picks to move up and target one of these guys in the late 1st if they wanted too.  I honestly think they could sit at #40 and a few of them will likely still be available.

ABSOLUTELY agreed on the part about projecting the draft.   It's why I argued so strongly to go LT Whitworth as a FA over getting a G - because we could have gotten a G like Dan Feeney Rd 2.    The G/C position gets a ton of devaluation, and it's why I've argued for us to take QB over Nelson, if the franchise guy is there (which looks less likely he will be).   You could go QB 1.5 and get a G 2.7 and be in way better position long-term than with a Nelson/QB 2.7 or later pick.   You can make the same point on Chubb for sure.   

My only point was more about the perception and mindset driving Elway & co.    Not spending a Day 1 pick on O likely triggers a major firestorm of fanbase hatred - which is OK, their job isn't to cater to the fanbase.  But while Elway has immunity, it's not indefinite - and he and management are very aware the fanbase is really unhappy about our O.  Selling seats is the bottom line to Ellis, and having empty seats last year was a sobering sight for them.  I think it's a huge factor to why they wouldn't ever admit publicly that a 1-year rebuild is necessary at a minimum.   I just hoped he would realize this in private.   How he goes about the rest of FA and the draft will speak volumes on where he's at (the default being that he doesn't give up on the year, no matter the bad odds).  We'll see.

35 minutes ago, Counselor said:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Mayfield

4. Barkley

5. Oh no Josh Allen

6. Chubb

7. Nelson

Colts going to pick up three seconds and still get their guy. Brilliant.

I’d be pumped.  Hope you’re right.

Archived