Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

26 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Long post to say Gore was consistently excellent for a very long time and ended top 5 in the entire NFL in multiple categories as well as 5 Pro Bowls and an All-Pro nod.    Hawk had one really good season though (probably even top 10 in tackles that year, I didn't look it up) and if he gets into the Packers Hall of Fame I will stand up with a nice golf clap for him

If you think 1200 rush yards is excellent. Sure. And outside 1 season that's his high water mark.. After leaving SF he struggled to even hit 4 ypc and thats 1/3rd of his career. He was a solid but unspectacular back. We'd have been trying to upgrade him every year after his third year if he were a Packer. He's damn near a full yard behind Aaron Jones on a per carry basis, and a half yard behind Ahman. Under your rules, Gore wouldn't make the GBP hall because longevity doesn't matter.

Corey Dillon and Ricky Williams were both better runners, went over 10k yards and aren't HoFers. Gore gets in because he was steady for a longer period of time.

He's literally the same as Hawk through the lense of a lower bar to clear.

Edited by HighCalebR

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Are they like looking at a way to keep Bak around or why no release yet?

Why release him until they have to?    He can be released when they need the cap space - otherwise what would be the point in doing it now?    If it's just cap space and not actual $ to hold onto him at this point why not wait until you've actually negotiated and have an agreement with another FA to use his cap allocation?    His roster bonuses ended in 2023 so other than miniscule workout bonuses, what $ is the team on the hook for currently?   I don't think there's anything contract related - someone correct me if I'm wrong.   

I'm not trading in my old car before I find the new one 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If you think 1200 rush yards is excellent. Sure. And outside 1 season that's his high water mark.. After leaving SF he struggled to even hit 4 ypc and thats 1/3rd of his career. He was a solid but unspectacular back. We'd have been trying to upgrade him every year after his third year if he were a Packer. He's damn near a full yard behind Aaron Jones on a per carry basis, and a half yard behind Ahman. Under your rules, Gore wouldn't make the GBP hall because longevity doesn't matter.

He's literally the same as Hawk through the lense of a lower bar to clear.

This is where we just need to agree to disagree otherwise I start going down the road of arguing my point by trying to denigrate further Hawk's accomplishments like you are trying to do with Gore.    We read/remember (certainly in my case) Gore's accomplishments very differently and Gore was also known as one of the best, if not THE best pass-blocking RB of all time.   There is a difference in Gore's career -- or someone like Mike Evans -- vs AJ Hawk's.  The Pro-Bowl voters agreed as did the voters that named him one of 4 RB's to make the All-Decade team of the 2010's as will the voters that ultimately name him to the Hall of Fame.

Hawk had a good, capable career with a Pro Bowl season. 10 years is a great accomplishment in the NFL.   Perhaps Hawk was an extraordinary communicator and the best damn middle linebacker to wear the headset in GB and I'm not giving him enough credit for that- he was obviously well-liked and was a captain for a reason so those could be extra pluses to his capable career.   i will have my golf claps ready    

30 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

This is where we just need to agree to disagree otherwise I start going down the road of arguing my point by trying to denigrate further Hawk's accomplishments like you are trying to do with Gore.    We read/remember (certainly in my case) Gore's accomplishments very differently and Gore was also known as one of the best, if not THE best pass-blocking RB of all time.   There is a difference in Gore's career -- or someone like Mike Evans -- vs AJ Hawk's.  The Pro-Bowl voters agreed as did the voters that named him one of 4 RB's to make the All-Decade team of the 2010's as will the voters that ultimately name him to the Hall of Fame.

Hawk had a good, capable career with a Pro Bowl season. 10 years is a great accomplishment in the NFL.   Perhaps Hawk was an extraordinary communicator and the best damn middle linebacker to wear the headset in GB and I'm not giving him enough credit for that- he was obviously well-liked and was a captain for a reason so those could be extra pluses to his capable career.   i will have my golf claps ready    

Lol k.

Edited by HighCalebR

29 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Lol k.

I really don't see how Hawk is not a Packers hall of famer. He was a well above average player. People get hung up on draft position but the guy was a very good player gif a very (in nfl terms) long time. 

9 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

This is how I feel.   Names like Longwell came up earlier but I don't think the rallying cry for Hawk should be "Hey we let other mediocre guys in, why not him!"

The standard has been set, and the standard is the standard.

12 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Why release him until they have to?    He can be released when they need the cap space - otherwise what would be the point in doing it now?    If it's just cap space and not actual $ to hold onto him at this point why not wait until you've actually negotiated and have an agreement with another FA to use his cap allocation?    His roster bonuses ended in 2023 so other than miniscule workout bonuses, what $ is the team on the hook for currently?   I don't think there's anything contract related - someone correct me if I'm wrong.   

I'm not trading in my old car before I find the new one 

Because if you decided some time ago you’re moving on from him you’d to know where you sit for free agency and also give Bak the best chance to be successful in free agency.

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Motivated Eddie was so good.

He was such a freak. You can really see it in these highlights. Dude had such a ridiculous IRL turbo button. He went from slow motion to fast forward back to slow motion. I can't think of anybody else who had anything like that quite to his extent. There's instant burst and top end speed and then somehow Eddie Lacy.

For reference his 10 yard to 20 yard split at the combine was exactly 1 second flat. Xavier Worthy and John Ross, the two fastest 40s ever were .98 seconds. Chris Johnson was 1.01.

It literally makes no sense.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Hawk 100% belongs in the Packers HoF. Anyone arguing against that doesn't have an opinion worth their salt.

I've been on this board for awhile and a couple years ago I think I had a pretty great year with my posts.  Made some really good points and got my post count up that year - it was an awesome year.    If I can just stick with it 5-6 more years and keep my post counts up in the top 50 in just a couple of those years - feel like I'll be a shoe-in for the footballsfuture.com Packers subforum Hall of Fame.     

• Like 3