Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -    "I'm not quite sure when we'll get Z back," Matt LaFleur says about Za'Darius Smith. "It definitely is a concern." "Could potentially" affect his Week 1 status

Have they said what the injury is to Z? This is not encouraging news. May I hope this isn't an all year thing on and off. 

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Have they said what the injury is to Z? This is not encouraging news. May I hope this isn't an all year thing on and off. 

Aaron Nagler -   LaFleur awfully cagy when answering a question regarding Za’Darius and his potential return. Makes me wonder how much of his continued absence is actually injury related and how much is Z’s unhappiness with his contract situation.

Gutekunst is asked if Z's absence is contract related. "No."

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler -   LaFleur awfully cagy when answering a question regarding Za’Darius and his potential return. Makes me wonder how much of his continued absence is actually injury related and how much is Z’s unhappiness with his contract situation.

Gutekunst is asked if Z's absence is contract related. "No."

This is my first thoughts on it too, Z easily could be playing games because of his contract beef. I'm not losing any sleep until he actually misses a game.   

Peter Bukowski -   Josh Myers will be the starting center in large part due to player departure. Packers will be worse there even if Myers is good. But if Eric Stokes and Royce Newman/JRJ start, it'll be because they out-played the 2021 incumbents. Could be real improvement there.

15 hours ago, R T said:

This is my first thoughts on it too, Z easily could be playing games because of his contract beef. I'm not losing any sleep until he actually misses a game.   

I'd be disappointed in him if that's the case ... he's been paid well by the Packers, and now is not the time for this.

16 hours ago, R T said:

Don't think that is the case.  Wilde started that always looking for drama.  Z has a back.  Backs are a *****.  I am very concerned.  Starts to work it a bit and it flares.  Not good.  They are pretty quiet about it.  Wonder if he has a bulging disk and is trying to work through it.  This may be an ongoing story throughout the season.  Just cringe when I hear "back injury".  It's not the kind of injury you would fake if trying to get a new contract.  

• Like 3

Ross Uglem -   Man, I hope I'm wrong about Eric Stokes. I think he's a man corner on a team who's gonna play a bunch of Joe Barry zone. Yesterday was a microcosm of that, but potentially confirmation bias.

• Peter Bukowski -   Joe Barry zone is going to look like man and actually be man enough for him to be fine. He has to get better in off coverage though that’s for sure.