Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Pretty sure on deal #2 we paid Jordy, Bakh and Clark a few days before camp opened. Seems to kind of be our MO. Guess it depends on what Gute wants to do, if he's happy with the roster post draft, there's really no hurry to get it done until camp, but if he wants another FA or two, he's going to need the cap relief from that extension.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, squire12 said:

there is not a player on the market that would be of that level.  If you deal jaire now before the draft, you are rolling into 2023 with Douglas, Stokes and a high draft pick as your top 3 CB.  

If somehow we deal JA and end up with Gardner or McDuffie with a couple other picks, I'm good with that.  So for me to bite, it would need to be a top 10 pick this year, with others thrown in there.  Maybe a lower pick this year and a higher pick next year.

Nick Korte -  As expected, Sammy Watkins's base contract value of $1.85M is nowhere near enough by itself to qualify for compensatory free agent status, keeping the Packers' 5th round 2023 for the departure of Marquez Valdes-Scantling on the board.

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Nick Korte -  As expected, Sammy Watkins's base contract value of $1.85M is nowhere near enough by itself to qualify for compensatory free agent status, keeping the Packers' 5th round 2023 for the departure of Marquez Valdes-Scantling on the board.

Sammy has earned somewhere around 70 million so far in the NFL. Pretty cray cray considering the production.

that being said, fantastic value signing, I doubt they would have made it had it cost them the 5th round comp pick.

he’s still got impressive ability, hopefully he has his best year in a while for us. I think folks will be pleasantly surprised about his abilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Seems to kind of be our MO.

Perhaps.
More likely it's the agents using a deadline to squeeze a few more $$. Since the price goes up with each new player signing...which side of this negotiation benefits from waiting ?

It takes 2 to tango and even though fans understand that...the finger always points at the team for not getting it done.

I find that to be...questionable thinking

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

We'll also get a late pick for Patrick?  I figured if Watkins cost us comp it would be Patrick nullified...

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is another important note to that. they could easily move on from him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

This is another important note to that. they could easily move on from him

At this cost, he's probably a keeper. Still - hope we nab two WRs in the upcoming draft (preferably of the pass catching / YAC as opposed to the IOL playing WR variety....) and reset the WR going forward.

Nice to get Watkins dollars.  Very modest, very low risk.  Don’t imagine he’s very good or will catch much more than 400-500 yards if that.  But decent beats awful, and I’m always hopeful that in a new year, new health, new system, expanded opportunity, new urgency, and a good QB and good encouraging coaches, maybe he’ll be surprisingly productive.  To the wr room what Rasul was to the secondary.