Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Toddfather said:

Hence why I am not comparing them. Just because Rodgers won't be Adams doesn't mean he can not develop...

He seems to lack a burst or enough quickness to create separation. Those are not things you get better at this point in time. The raw talent is desperately missing from all of those guys who you had in mind as people we developed. 

I've been wrong before, more than I'd care to admit. I hope I'm eating crow with this kid too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He seems to lack a burst or enough quickness to create separation. Those are not things you get better at this point in time. The raw talent is desperately missing from all of those guys who you had in mind as people we developed. 

I've been wrong before, more than I'd care to admit. I hope I'm eating crow with this kid too. 

I guess I don't understand what you want to do then? I personally do not want to cut ties with a 3rd round pick after just his rookie year. I hope you're wrong too, and I am not saying he is going to be amazing. I just don't understand the dismissal after one season that some of these players get. Let the kid develop and if nothing comes of it move on, but not after one season. 

Just now, Toddfather said:

I guess I don't understand what you want to do then? I personally do not want to cut ties with a 3rd round pick after just his rookie year. I hope you're wrong too, and I am not saying he is going to be amazing. I just don't understand the dismissal after one season that some of these players get. Let the kid develop and if nothing comes of it move on, but not after one season. 

Not saying cut him. I'm saying I don't expect much from him. If he could develop into a decent punt returner, I'd take that for year 2. 

My point, he seems to lack skills you can't teach. 

Like you, I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

By comparison - it took all of 10 seconds to see that Tyler Ervin had that somethin somethin with the ball in his hands. It's not a learned thing. You either have it or you don't. Still not sure why they let him walk

To be fair when we signed Tyler Ervin, it was his 4th year in the league so had been doing a lot of learning. Yes he had something with the ball in his hands but two teams had already cut him by that stage. 

Not exactly super confident in Amari but can't really make any judgements yet. Gutey loves his athletes and still went after him so have to give a bit more time to see whether any master plan he has for him can still come off.

Ian Hartitz -  Highest percentage of dropbacks where *0* pass-catchers were considered open in 2021 (PFF)

1. Aaron Rodgers (20.9%)
2. Kyler Murray (19.4%)
3. Davis Mills (19.3%)
4. Russell Wilson (19.1%)
5. Jalen Hurts (19%)

• Peter Bukowski -  This is fascinating because by NextGen, the Packers were among league leaders in open WR % (and wide-open WR %)

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ian Hartitz -  Highest percentage of dropbacks where *0* pass-catchers were considered open in 2021 (PFF)

1. Aaron Rodgers (20.9%)
2. Kyler Murray (19.4%)
3. Davis Mills (19.3%)
5. Jalen Hurts (19%)

• Peter Bukowski -  This is fascinating because by NextGen, the Packers were among league leaders in open WR % (and wide-open WR %)

Wow even Davante was covered

Listening to some Packer fans talk about Tyler Ervin is like watching a real-life football version of Shallow Hal. 

Tyler Ervin - 16 punt returns, 7.9 average with a long of 18 yards. 

Amari Rodgers - 20 punt returns, 8.3 average with a long of 23 yards. 

Maybe it was that 2 catches for 11 yards and one rush for 10 yards of Ervin's in his first year in GB that showed he had that 'somethin somethin with the ball in his hands' versus Rodgers' 4 catches for 45 yards and one rush for 11 yards in his first season. One player is a 185 pounds and needs to rely on quickness to survive and the other is 212 pounds and plays with a degree of power to his game. Two different body types and two different playing styles, but in the end the results are no different.  

• Like 4

I don't want to count on Amari Rodgers this year, but I have a feeling he's going to take a big step forward this season.  I don't know if he was a bit out of shape, or just swimming mentally, but he showed at Clemson that he had some skills that would translate to the NFL.  I think it's going to come together for him .. not even close to writing him off at this point in time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

Listening to some Packer fans talk about Tyler Ervin is like watching a real-life football version of Shallow Hal. 

Tyler Ervin - 16 punt returns, 7.9 average with a long of 18 yards. 

Amari Rodgers - 20 punt returns, 8.3 average with a long of 23 yards. 

Maybe it was that 2 catches for 11 yards and one rush for 10 yards of Ervin's in his first year in GB that showed he had that 'somethin somethin with the ball in his hands' versus Rodgers' 4 catches for 45 yards and one rush for 11 yards in his first season. One player is a 185 pounds and needs to rely on quickness to survive and the other is 212 pounds and plays with a degree of power to his game. Two different body types and two different playing styles, but in the end the results are no different.  

No. The eye test is all that matter. Loved the way he looked with the ball in his hands.

2 hours ago, Toddfather said:

Funny how some people don't learn from the past. Not saying Rodgers will become a talent like Adams, but him not being a world beater in year one is about the furthest thing from shocking, especially in Green Bay...

To say nothing of the number of fans who seem convinced that <insertnameoffavoritewrinthedrafthere> could come into GB and make an immediate impact.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't want to count on Amari Rodgers this year, but I have a feeling he's going to take a big step forward this season.  I don't know if he was a bit out of shape, or just swimming mentally, but he showed at Clemson that he had some skills that would translate to the NFL.  I think it's going to come together for him .. not even close to writing him off at this point in time.

Agree,  he'll certainly have opportunities he didn't have last year.  Let it play out, barring injury, his future will be much clearer after this year.

16 hours ago, Leader said:

1. Aaron Rodgers (20.9%)
2. Kyler Murray (19.4%)
3. Davis Mills (19.3%)
5. Jalen Hurts (19%)

Why trust player positional tracking data when we can trust some guy at PFF eyeballing everything. 

This reeks of PFF pushing a narrative for clicks. 

• Like 1

Put me down for a 6th round pick for Toney.

And if they accept that offer, I'm swallowing really hard trying to understand why.  

But yah, kid is a headcase.  I'll give up a very late round pick and see if he can fit in our locker room.  He's got upside.

And I'll remind everyone, last year it was reported that Aiyuk was available.  Lots of rumors about him not learning the office and being a malcontent.   Many on this board were against giving up a mid round pick for Aiyuk.  And he came on nicely for the 49ers down the stretch.

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Put me down for a 6th round pick for Toney.

And if they accept that offer, I'm swallowing really hard trying to understand why.  

But yah, kid is a headcase.  I'll give up a very late round pick and see if he can fit in our locker room.  He's got upside.

And I'll remind everyone, last year it was reported that Aiyuk was available.  Lots of rumors about him not learning the office and being a malcontent.   Many on this board were against giving up a mid round pick for Aiyuk.  And he came on nicely for the 49ers down the stretch.

Well sure for a 6th.  Seriously doubt that's anywhere in the ballpark.  Probably have to give up #59 to get him.  Personally I'd gamble our 3rd rounder but again Giants probably won't entertain that.  He's a risk for sure.  Change a scenery maybe we could get the kid straightened out.  Possible he's just a punk and we wasted a pick.  Talented for sure maybe worth a gamble but don't know the player Gute would have to do some serious due diligence.  Unlike the Packers so doubt it.  Character matters in GB usually shy away from guys like that.  

Edited by Scoremore