Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, squire12 said:

GB chance in the playoffs will come down to how well the D can generate turnovers.   They are not a team that will likely beat itself with turnovers, so getting 2-3 extra possessions will be a huge key in how far GB can advance.  It just does not seem like a very winning formula against playoff teams....who are typically good at the TO margin.  Winning that battle 3 or 4 games against playoff caliber teams will be tough

It's really this and Rodgers. He can either be a QB capable of leading a team all the way on his decision making or a QB capable of destroying an offense on his decision making.

His talented is irrelevant at this point because his head is like a governor on a motor and until he takes care of it, he might as well be Andy Dalton.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The really good 2010 team having a bad week against an average Lions team, is not comparable to the really average 2019 team having an average week against the God awful Redskins.

I know you only listen to what the point differential tells you, but this team is not average, it's just playing average. If you look at peak talent that's been shown by Smith's, Clark, Jaire, King, Savage, Amos, Martinez, this could easily be a top 12 defense.

We have a top 5 OL in the NFL, a more than capable 1-2 RB punch, a top 7 WR in the NFL and maybe the great QB of all time from a talent standpoint.

The 2010 team was a sleeping giant, but this team is still asleep too, and although not a giant is capable of plenty more than what it's shown. I think even a SB at peak performance.

I don't look at it as a talent comparison, more or less that the 2010 team, and countless other NFL teams throughout history have shown you can hit peak performance almost instantly and stay in that zone for awhile. Hell the 2016 team did the same thing. You can also crash from that peak instantly, like the 2016 team.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's really this and Rodgers. He can either be a QB capable of leading a team all the way on his decision making or a QB capable of destroying an offense on his decision making.

His talented is irrelevant at this point because his head is like a governor on a motor and until he takes care of it, he might as well be Andy Dalton.

Likely it is Jimmy G, Wilson, Brees, Rodgers, Cousins and Dak/Wentz as the QB.  

Brees and Wilson are the only 2 QB that have a bit of success in the playoffs. The throw Rodgers made to A Jones along the sideline on the long 3rd down from deep inside GB territory shows he can still make those throws.   Like you said, it is more a willingness and head being in the right place.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I know you only listen to what the point differential tells you, but this team is not average, it's just playing average. If you look at peak talent that's been shown by Smith's, Clark, Jaire, King, Savage, Amos, Martinez, this could easily be a top 12 defense.

We have a top 5 OL in the NFL, a more than capable 1-2 RB punch, a top 7 WR in the NFL and maybe the great QB of all time from a talent standpoint.

The 2010 team was a sleeping giant, but this team is still asleep too, and although not a giant is capable of plenty more than what it's shown. I think even a SB at peak performance.

I don't look at it as a talent comparison, more or less that the 2010 team, and countless other NFL teams throughout history have shown you can hit peak performance almost instantly and stay in that zone for awhile. Hell the 2016 team did the same thing. You can also crash from that peak instantly, like the 2016 team.

You've already nailed this conversation. We have a busted DC and a busted QB. 

Is it possible that gets fixed? Yeah, but it's not looking likely and in fact we seem to be backsliding. 

Just now, squire12 said:

Likely it is Jimmy G, Wilson, Brees, Rodgers, Cousins and Dak/Wentz as the QB.  

Brees and Wilson are the only 2 QB that have a bit of success in the playoffs. The throw Rodgers made to A Jones along the sideline on the long 3rd down from deep inside GB territory shows he can still make those throws.   Like you said, it is more a willingness and head being in the right place.  

Of the NFC QBs only Wilson can hold a candle to him talent wise. Brees was never close IMO. However all the other 5 are 100% bought into the offensive schemes their coach runs. Ours thinks, well I'm not sure what he thinks anymore. 

• Like 1

Making the playoffs should be viewed as a success after missing out 2 years in a row.  

Getting MLF some playoff experience.....along with a bunch of the younger players some playoff experience will be helpful going into the 2020 season.  Should GB be able to win a playoff game, that would only add to the experience for future years.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Pack is currently 13th in opponent's points per game. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Making the playoffs should be viewed as a success after missing out 2 years in a row. Getting MLF some playoff experience.....along with a bunch of the younger players some playoff experience will be helpful going into the 2020 season.  Should GB be able to win a playoff game, that would only add to the experience for future years.  

Agree.

Get back to winning the Division and getting into the Playoffs.
Where it goes on a game by game basis? Hope for the best.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You've already nailed this conversation. We have a busted DC and a busted QB. 

Is it possible that gets fixed? Yeah, but it's not looking likely and in fact we seem to be backsliding. 

I think Pettine is trending in the right direction, if he didn't mix it up on the rookie QBs in back to back weeks I was going to be real worried. Now him taking the foot entirely off the gas and giving up easy throws to a hobbled QB and garbage WRs sucked. If Pettine's more dialed in it really comes down to can our D stop the run enough to get off the field. Really wish we had Daniels for that reason.

Aaron, I won't even comment on other than to say his legacy is in his own hands, and right now he's fixing to right the ending like an ADD kid with a box of crayons. This is still the best defense he's had since 2014, if he wants to waste it, nothing we can do.

Guess we wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think Pettine is trending in the right direction, if he didn't mix it up on the rookie QBs in back to back weeks I was going to be real worried. Now him taking the foot entirely off the gas and giving up easy throws to a hobbled QB and garbage WRs sucked. If Pettine's more dialed in it really comes down to can our D stop the run enough to get off the field. Really wish we had Daniels for that reason.

Aaron, I won't even comment on other than to say his legacy is in his own hands, and right now he's fixing to right the ending like an ADD kid with a box of crayons. This is still the best defense he's had since 2014, if he wants to waste it, nothing we can do.

Guess we wait and see.

Not so fast. I remember another D.C. that would be aggressive against rookie and lower tier QB's. It means nothing. 

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

True enough.  However, it's darn painful watching this team limp through some games that should be blowouts.  Just want this team to show something the next few weeks against division foes to give fans hope.  Potential is nice .. sure hope they wake up and soon.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

True enough.  However, it's darn painful watching this team limp through some games that should be blowouts.  Just want this team to show something the next few weeks against division foes to give fans hope.  Potential is nice .. sure hope they wake up and soon.

It all starts with Aaron Rodgers. The dude refuses to make throws in rhythm and it causes our drives to be wildly inconsistent with tons of 3 & outs. He needs to throw the ball first and foremost. 

• Like 2