Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers actually do this, I'll be pissed. We ruined Randall by playing him out of position, and now you're going to take a young guy who could excel as a FS (if you just leave him alone) and move him to slot CB? Just go sign a freaking slot CB. This square peg/round hole stuff gets old and Green Bay does it too often.

Safeties come down in the box and play the slot all the time, that is a job of a safety. We played Randall out on the island. Not comparable.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Safeties come down in the box and play the slot all the time, that is a job of a safety. We played Randall out on the island. Not comparable.

A safety sliding down in the box once in a while isnt the same as being your team's slot CB. Obviously I'm not suggesting Savage can never line up there, but I don't want to see Will Redmond playing FS while Savage is lining up 30 snaps a game in Tramon's spot. Just resign Tramon and let Savage play centerfield with his speed. 

*And I'm not saying the Packers are going to do this, and I know it was one line by Gute in a presser. Merely addressing the fact that it was brought up in the article. 

Playing Savage in the slot just means your next best DB plays S not corner. It would put Savage in a position to cover TE or blitz as well. If he is capable of being that kind of player, it's better than keeping him stuck on the back end.

from Olivia Reiner via Twitter:

Packers announce that Matt LaFleur has established a minority coaching fellowship. Ruvell Martin is the 1st hire in a yearlong, full-time position for young minority coaches. Martin was one of LaFleur's receivers at Saginaw Valley State. He also played for the 06-08 Packers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Packers announce that Matt LaFleur has established a minority coaching fellowship. Ruvell Martin is the 1st hire in a yearlong, full-time position for young minority coaches. Martin was one of LaFleur's receivers at Saginaw Valley State. He also played for the 06-08 Packers

Aaron's good buddy early on as well.

33 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Yeah, I recall Ruvell being a close scout team pal with Rodgers, and I think he participated in the  Quarterback school in springs, too.  A lot of throw-and-catch between those two guys back a lifetime ago. 

Packers were loaded with good WR in those days.  If Ruvell had come to the packers now, with the current priority on size and blocking over quickness, I wonder if he might not have been a much better fit; and maybe have had a much bigger role, maybe he'd have been a #3 guy in our room now.  

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Interesting question. Given our current roster, I'd probably say Mike D. 

Depends a lot on what Wagner looks like in camp.  I might take Veldheer honestly, given how thin our options outside are.  Otherwise probably Tramon.  Not sure Clay has a great fit here, and we're not exactly hurting for pass rushers (although you never can have too many).  Mike D I think is just done; when the feet go on a big, that's the game.