Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

57 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

My stepmother asked me a question .. does Matt LaFleur chew tobacco?  I told her I wasn't sure, but sometimes it looks like he might have a little pinch between his cheek and gum.  What say you?

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He definitely dips

Without a doubt.

It's what won me over right away.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

This is the NFL trying to say "woe is me" so the NFLPA feel bad for them. They come out and say "Covid didn't hit us too bad financially" and the NFLPA will come back and say, well then let's increase the cap.

It's negotiation tactic. The good teams in the NFL are the ones up against the cap. It doesn't benefit the NFL to force teams to decrease the quality of their product, and it doesn't make sense for the NFLPA to want their guys to be paid less. It will get done and the cap will stay relatively flat.

Yeah, and we all now how good the NFLPA is at negotiating deals with the owners and not accepting their first proposal.

Both things can happen, and none of them would surprise me.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

"Aaron Jones Rejected Packers’ Substantial Contract Offer: Report – Heavy.com" https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/aaron-jones-rejected-packers-contract-offer-report/amp/

Looks like they made an offer.

If, like me, you have doubts about the veracity of Heavy.com, the article quotes from a Rob Demovsky ESPN article published yesterday:

“The Packers had a deal on the table that would have made Jones among the top five highest-paid backs in the league, but that was in terms of average per year. The big guaranteed money was missing. So Jones turned it down and then opted to change agents, hiring Drew Rosenhaus. The Packers continue to see how valuable Jones is — just look at his 60-yard run to open the second half of the playoff game against the Rams — but it’s hard to imagine them upping their guaranteed money, especially if they want to re-sign All-Pro center Corey Linsley. Perhaps the decision has already been made to let him go — or at least hit the market — but it couldn’t have been an easy one.”

I will add my own two cents by saying that I love Jones and it really sucks we're gonna lose him but that feels like the right move. 

Edited by Lodestar
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Excellent place. Might blow some of my stimulus there.

I love that place, too.

He turned me "on" to Old Forester, Prohibition bourbon.  If you haven't tried that one yet, go get it.

He also pointed me to Old Elk.  The wheated bourbon.  Not the blend, pure wheated.

Old Elk is really smooth and full of taste.  Just don't pour it over too much ice.  I use my cold rocks in there and it's perfect.

And...it's great in the boat.  Like unbeatable in the boat when it's a little cold outside.  Just be careful of that ride back home at night.  It made me see three lanes in front of me.  I just picked the middle one and things worked out okay.

Aman is a great guy to talk to about what you like in bourbon, he knows how all of them taste and which one you will like.  He may even give you a pour up in the tasting room.

And if you haven't tried it yet, go to CostCo and get Woodford Reserve double oaked.  It is delicious and smooth.  To me this is on par with, or better than, Blantons.  And I fully understand the magnitude of that statement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

If, like me, you have doubts about the veracity of Heavy.com, the article quotes from a Rob Demovsky ESPN article published yesterday:

I will add my own two cents by saying that I love Jones and it really sucks we're gonna lose him but that feels like the right move. 

Absolutely glad they made a run at giving him a deal. It was the right move. Jones means more to this team than most people here care to admit. It's going to be a pretty big setback to our offense to lose him. You can't replace his skill set and big play ability with Williams or Dillon. That being said, if he doesn't want the deal, I'm fine letting him go. I'm not bending over backwards to give him whatever he wants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

If they really offered top 5 money that's a fair deal. His greedy agent probably priced him out of our price range.  I would hate to lose the guy, he's perfect for this system and he's an overall good kid, but can't blame him for going for the max. 

The notes there were top 5 in average, but without a large guarantee.  So if the last year-or-two were the big ones jumping the "average", but he was easy to release, the offer may not have been quite as strong as "top 5" sounds.  Which probably makes sense from a Packers viewpoint.  

20 minutes ago, St Vince said:

If they really offered top 5 money that's a fair deal. His greedy agent probably priced him out of our price range.  I would hate to lose the guy, he's perfect for this system and he's an overall good kid, but can't blame him for going for the max. 

Mark Chmura was saying it was actually kind of a slap because there was very little guaranteed $, and after that perceived slight Aaron went out and got Drew Rosen**** for his agent. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Absolutely glad they made a run at giving him a deal. It was the right move. Jones means more to this team than most people here care to admit. It's going to be a pretty big setback to our offense to lose him. You can't replace his skill set and big play ability with Williams or Dillon. That being said, if he doesn't want the deal, I'm fine letting him go. I'm not bending over backwards to give him whatever he wants. 

I'm going to feel a lot better about letting him walk if we win the Super Bowl.  If we come up short and then lose some guys like Jones it's going to increase the odds that we won't be able to win a title.