Panthers @ Saints - Wildcard Round Gameday Thread - 4:40pm EST on Fox

Dome

The cliché in these situations is it’s hard to beat a team three times in one season. But history shows it happens more times than not.

Thirteen out of 20 times since the league merger in 1970 the team that won two regular-season games went on to win the playoff game.

From ESPN.

People have been throwing this around all week about how hard it is, but the odds are actually in our favor if you think the previous two games have any bearing on this one, which I don't.

54 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

From ESPN.

People have been throwing this around all week about how hard it is, but the odds are actually in our favor if you think the previous two games have any bearing on this one, which I don't.

Exactly. That’s probably one of the biggest misconceptions in Sports. Armstead will likely be back...so I fully expect Ingram and Kamara to feast just as they did before. 

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

From ESPN.

So the 20 teams went 2-0, 40-0 against the other team. 13-7 in the playoffs. Certainly seems like it's super hard.

As you said though, still more wins for the 2-0 team so I think it doesn't mean too much. 

I honestly think the coaches weren't trying very hard last week. The fake FG is a perfect example. I think Sean P thought eff it why not, lets try it out with nothing to lose. The #4 seed has a better chance to play Philly which is what we all prefer. I would be very interested to see us play Minnesota again with no Cook, possibly no Bradford (although I think hes practicing again) and our "new" defense

2 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

So the 20 teams went 2-0, 40-0 against the other team. 13-7 in the playoffs. Certainly seems like it's super hard.

Still more likely to win than lose, which has not been the narrative people have been pushing. 

43 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

I honestly think the coaches weren't trying very hard last week. The fake FG is a perfect example. I think Sean P thought eff it why not, lets try it out with nothing to lose. The #4 seed has a better chance to play Philly which is what we all prefer. I would be very interested to see us play Minnesota again with no Cook, possibly no Bradford (although I think hes practicing again) and our "new" defense

If the coaches weren't trying very hard they need to be fired for putting our best players out there all game.

1 hour ago, saintsfan said:

My thoughts as well I think the intent was to get through with minimal injuries and keeping both units in rhythm for the playoffs and not risk a rusty start vs the Panthers.

24 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

My thoughts as well I think the intent was to get through with minimal injuries and keeping both units in rhythm for the playoffs and not risk a rusty start vs the Panthers.

Ok, why were our starters playing the entire game?

Players with 100% snap counts:

Brees, Unger, Ramczyk, Peat, Warford, Bell, Cameron Jordan

Kelemente, 97%

Crawley 96%

Williams 95%

Lattimore 94%

Michael Thomas 91%

Ingram 57%

Kamara 53%

I've never seen a team "not try very hard" and "minimize injury risk"  by playing their starters the entire game.  And fake field goal play was even dumber, because you risk injury to our kicker. 

I hate it too, but the Saints were trying to win this game and didn't, that's all there is to it.  If you want to keep players in rhythm and minimize injury, you play them for a quarter, or a half, or a few drives and take them out, you don't play them the entire game.  Brees sat in 09 despite having a bye week, because then the intent was truly to minimize injury since there was nothing to play for.  The Saints clearly felt they had something to play for, and they did.  We needed to win this game to win the division had Carolina won their game.  Whether you agree with it or not, they wanted that home game.

The Rams sat their starters because they had already locked up their home game, the only difference was between 3rd and 4th seed.  They were never in danger of losing a home game.

Since its in the dome I think we have a very good chance to win. However, if our offense continues to put up lackluster performances forcing the defense to be on the field for long periods of time then I could see us losing a close one. 

The only one who didn't look off on Sunday was Kamara. Michael Thomas was pretty good too. Defense, Jordan (of course) and George seemed okay. 

Other than that, the rest of the team was just off.

And really, Tampa isn't a sucky team. They took Carolina down to the wire the week before.

19 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

The only one who didn't look off on Sunday was Kamara. Michael Thomas was pretty good too. Defense, Jordan (of course) and George seemed okay. 

Other than that, the rest of the team was just off.

And really, Tampa isn't a sucky team. They took Carolina down to the wire the week before.

Tampa's not a bad team, they are just a team with so much drama and can't seem to get out of their own way.  They have the talent to beat anyone, sort of like Michigan or LSU in years past for College Football.  All the talent in the world but just can't seem to get it together consistently.

I like our chances against Carolina just because I think we match-up well against them, same with Philly, so we might have a good chance at the NFCCG just based off of the opponents we play.  I really don't like our chances once we get paired against Atlanta/Vikings/Rams as although we've shown we can beat Atlanta they are still a worse match-up than Carolina/Philly for us.  Any playoff run will most definitely come down based on who wins what games.  I think we take Carolina, if Atlanta beats the Rams then the Vikings game might be where we end, but if we beat the Vikings I see the Eagles beating Atlanta and we can go into Philly to get the Super Bowl.

I say Saints 24 - Carolina 17

Any given week Tampa can be a really tough team, over the course of a season, they’re not that scary though.

Il not surprised they beat us, and we were absolutely trying to win that game. It feels better to say we took the week off in preparation for the playoffs, but you can’t watch that game and say we weren’t trying lol 

Archived