Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

3 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

1g per kg to 1g per lb of lbm.  Just straight 1g per lb of bodyweight where you are not only doing barely any lower body compound movement, but also not focusing on your diet, outside of hitting that number is beyond excess.  That's a great recipe for adding weight you aren't necessarily trying to add.  It isn't going to hurt his muscle development, or anything, but it's going to hurt his waist line, and the "definition" he is talking about losing.  If you're eating that amount of protein, you should have the rest of your diet dialed in, and your workout regimen should be something that your muscle growth will actually benefit from that level of protein.   It's the kind of stuff you hear in a gym, from a guy that read an article from a supplement company.  That just doesn't seem very wise for someone saying they're around 25% bf, who isn't training for power. 

I very well could be projecting what I see with the athletes I've worked with over the years, but most of them doing that are just eating junk, and pounding shakes to hit these numbers they don't need, not realizing  how many calories they're taking in to do it.  I keep picturing someone eating an entire baking sheet of fish sticks, because of the protein, haha. 

200g of protein is not much at all.  Definitely not overdoing it, 90% of people I work with don't hit enough protein each day.  Even if he went up to 250-300g of protein that's not his problem.  It's the beer and snacks that are going to increase body fat, not protein.  There is way too much misinformation with social media and the internet.  Your athletes' problem is not pounding shakes to hit protein numbers, it's eating junk.

And the type of workouts don't have to do with how much protein you need.  You always need high protein.  It helps build and spare muscle.  Cutting calories to lose body fat? Keep protein high.  Increasing calories to gain weight? Keep protein high.  Lifting to get stronger? Keep protein high. That's one thing that will always be consistent.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I like changing my routine at least every 2 months otherwise I feel I plateau on a lot of lifts.  Different split, different workouts, different reps/sets. 

Two months is too long! I would get really bored and that can also potentially lead to overuse injuries.  I go 3 weeks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

200g of protein is not much at all.  Definitely not overdoing it, 90% of people I work with don't hit enough protein each day.  Even if he went up to 250-300g of protein that's not his problem.  It's the beer and snacks that are going to increase body fat, not protein.  There is way too much misinformation with social media and the internet.  Your athletes' problem is not pounding shakes to hit protein numbers, it's eating junk.

And the type of workouts don't have to do with how much protein you need.  You always need high protein.  It helps build and spare muscle.  Cutting calories to lose body fat? Keep protein high.  Increasing calories to gain weight? Keep protein high.  Lifting to get stronger? Keep protein high. That's one thing that will always be consistent.

I don't really disagree with anything there.  I'm talking about chasing protein numbers at the expense of everything else in your diet, while doing a complete bro split, in the name of countering increased body fat.  I'm not sure where I'm being positioned in being in opposition of it?  

"Noticed a bit less definition and a bit more fat than I want, so I'm planning on hitting weights really hard and not really setting a diet plan except making sure I'm getting a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight each day (with a .25 gram margin of error). "  

That; particularly the last part.  That isn't a recipe for success.  At all.  

You're talking in terms of a dialed in diet.  As I said, there is no negative to high protein, there is to being in a daily surplus, in order to get to it, beyond where you're breaking your body down to even using to build.

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

I’m putting on mass and i have varied with my exercises and sets and rep ranges 

Nothing wrong with the same splits then.  I usually go 6 months out of the year Upper 1, Lower 1, Upper 2, Lower 2 then the other 6 months when I do more hypertrophy and body comp I do Chest/Back, Quads, Arms/Shoulders, Posterior Chain.

For the record, I eat mostly clean protein every day I work.  I work 5 to 6 days a week and have the same thing every day with very little variation.  A sandwich.  Little mayo, maybe mustard, two packs of meat, two slices cheese.  40 grams protein, just the two slices of bread and whatever fat is in the cheese/meat.

Days off I have maybe one bad meal at the end of the day, but probably actually eat less on my days off.

I don’t eat dirty or whatever the term is called except for snacks, and I’ve cut out the carb rich snacks and switched to nuts/seeds/jerky.

I definitely need that 200 grams protein a day to add anything week to week in my workouts.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:51 PM, OkeyDoke21 said:

One of those is directly leading to the other.  That's a ton of protein.  Twice what you would even want to be targeting, and if you're not caring about your diet, besides getting that much protein, it would be pretty safe to assume you are taking in a lot of excess calories to hit that mark.

You're seriously limiting yourself at 0.5g of protein /lb bodyweight. You need at least 0.7g/lb.  You can still eat clean and have higher amounts of protein. Easily.

0.5g of protein per lb is like trying to build a skyscraper but you don't have enough metal for the frames of the top 10 floors.

35 minutes ago, Danger said:

You're seriously limiting yourself at 0.5g of protein /lb bodyweight. You need at least 0.7g/lb.  You can still eat clean and have higher amounts of protein. Easily.

0.5g of protein per lb is like trying to build a skyscraper but you don't have enough metal for the frames of the top 10 floors.

0.7g would be a good target.  I don't really disagree, outside of the "need" part.  We don't need what the supplement companies have led us to believe.  Somewhere, 1g/kg of BW was converted into 1g/lb.    My twice is being taken more literally than it was meant.  1g per lb of body weight, at 30% bf, with a .25g margin (so potentially 1.25g), with that kind of split, and not monitoring your diet, is high, imo.  Everyone is free to disagree.  It doesn't really mean much to me.    

Like I've said a few times now, there isn't harm to more, if you're eating "clean."   I haven't, and wouldn't, dispute it.  I projected my own assumption onto Outpost, that he pretty much said isn't true, so it doesn't really matter.  That would be a mistake on my part, that led to the train of thought, that followed.  

2 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

0.7g would be a good target.  I don't really disagree, outside of the "need" part.  We don't need what the supplement companies have led us to believe.  Somewhere, 1g/kg of BW was converted into 1g/lb.    My twice is being taken more literally than it was meant.  1g per lb of body weight, at 30% bf, with a .25g margin (so potentially 1.25g), with that kind of split, and not monitoring your diet, is high, imo.  Everyone is free to disagree.  It doesn't really mean much to me.    

Like I've said a few times now, there isn't harm to more, if you're eating "clean."   I haven't, and wouldn't, dispute it.  I projected my own assumption onto Outpost, that he pretty much said isn't true, so it doesn't really matter.  That would be a mistake on my part, that led to the train of thought, that followed.  

IDK 140g for a 200 lb male who works out just seems really low to me.  Protein is the most important macro and the older we get the more we need.

1g/kg is if you want to hit like absolute minimum requirements for bodily functioning.  You ain't going to do squat with that for building and keeping muscle.

The first 30g of protein goes towards liver detoxification and the next 30g of protein go towards immune system (or vice versa I forget).  That's 60g, I would say minimum people need is .9g/lb.

Took possibly bit too much pre workout today and was on fine line of heart exploding, but man that pump was real. Especially after some weighted hammer grip pull-ups. 

Side note: anyone have any experience with eaa’s during a workout? I usually just drink a pre before and Gatorade during. 

9 hours ago, project T.O said:

Took possibly bit too much pre workout today and was on fine line of heart exploding, but man that pump was real. Especially after some weighted hammer grip pull-ups. 

Side note: anyone have any experience with eaa’s during a workout? I usually just drink a pre before and Gatorade during. 

If you take too much pre then you can take Vitamin C to help lessen the effects.

EAA's are great but expensive.

Haven’t posted here in a while! With grad school and the pandemic I haven’t been into an actual gym since March. It’s taken some trial and error but I’ve found a pretty good mix at home to keep in shape. Luckily was able to snag 10’s-40’s of dumbbells and some bands before the pandemic plus an ab roller, pull up bar, and paralletes. Hard to maintain the size you can add at a regular gym but I feel a lot better physically then when I was just lifting 4-5/week. Been breaking the weeks down like this...

Monday - Push Day + 2mi barefoot run on beach

Tuesday - 5mi street run + weighted carries

Weds - off day / mobility work

Thursday - Leg Day 

Friday - Arms/Core + 2mi barefoot run

Saturday - 5mi street run + carries 

Sunday - Hill sprints + mobility work

I can’t wait to get back to the gym so I can push some actual weight but I think when the time comes I’ll only lift heavy 2-3x per week. My ankles/legs have never fault stronger despite not getting under a barbell in months.

• Like 1