Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

11 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm always confused about functional strength.  You say you are gym strong and want stuff that will help around the house.  Squatting 300 lbs but can't move the couch?

Personally, yes. When I was at my best physically I could workout really well, but things like walking while carrying anything over 10 lbs for any amount of time was awful. Or helping friends move and I could hardly carry stuff up and down stairs. That's what I mean by functional strength. 

And by "around the house" I don't necessarily mean moving the couch. I mean things like building fence, hauling junk around, cutting wood, and the like. I guess I should have specified what I meant by that. 

50 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Personally, yes. When I was at my best physically I could workout really well, but things like walking while carrying anything over 10 lbs for any amount of time was awful. Or helping friends move and I could hardly carry stuff up and down stairs. That's what I mean by functional strength. 

You need to do modified Strongman circuits! IDK what your routine is but I do my normal splits during the week and on Saturdays I do Strongman circuits, or you can do it as finishers for other days.  Sled push, farmers carry, overhead carry, sandbag carry, etc.  

And by "around the house" I don't necessarily mean moving the couch. I mean things like building fence, hauling junk around, cutting wood, and the like. I guess I should have specified what I meant by that. 

Haha I know I was being extreme.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:14 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

That strongman stuff sounds interesting. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of weights. 10lbs dumbbells and a few cheapy plates. I think I have two plates that are 20lbs and a few lighter than that. I think I'm going to try and build some equipment. 

I'm sure there are relatively cheap Farmer's bars, sleds(you don't need a prowler) and sandbags or logs.   Can even throw in kettlebell work those days.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What are peoples workout splits?

In October I started doing a push/pull. I pretty much have a list of exercises and make sure to hit 6+ exercises on a day and do 4x10. I switch up which ones I'll do either because equipment is being used and I don't want to wait or I just feel like changing it up.

Monday: Push

Tuesday: Cardio

Wednesday: Pull

Thursday: Cardio

Friday: Legs + spot work (If I had to skip something earlier in the week or if I just feel like focusing on something)

Saturday: Cardio

Sunday: Off (I want to stretch more or do yoga again, but football)

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 1:14 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

I've been doing Juggernaut since gyms opened back up again.  While I have a love for DC training, I'm glad I decided to stick with the structure in Juggernaut rather than jumping in and trying to beat the logbook every single exercise, every day. It's far from easy, but with the gyms being down so long I don't think I have the GPP to properly do DC. Likely would have been injured at some point.

I'll venture back to DC at some point but likely will raise the rep ranges, but I want to get my lifts higher before I get back into that.

Juggernaut layout

Monday: Squats (Woolam Rows)

Tuesday: Bench Press (pullup goal)

Thursday: Overhead Press (Face Pulls)

Friday: Deadlifts (walking lunges)

- Accessory lifts are supporting the primary lifts.

- In parenthesis are the lifts I do that are unconventional for the program, just lifts I enjoy doing and feel add extra volume on days where my back, legs.glutes. yoke, etc aren't already dead.

- Woolam Rows are just what I call Cailer Woolam's version of bent over rows. Basically your grip is a bit wider than deadlift, you pull to your belly button, and use more momentum to lift more weight. I generally load up and then fight to slow the negative.

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Mon: off
Tues: Chest
Wed: Back/Biceps
Thurs: Shoulders
Fri: Legs
Sat: Chest/Triceps
Sun: Back/sports

I've been good at sticking to this for about 6 months with the only one that I've missed a few times was the one on Sunday. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 7:30 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

I begun the OMAD diet today. Have done a lot of research and want to give it a try. Never done a true diet/fast like this before so fingers crossed I enjoy it and see results.

I've lost 20 pounds on this fwiw. I keep lifting heavier and losing weight. Haven't felt this good in a long time.

My workouts are basically all with 1 Olympic lift (bench, squat, press) and all with a superset component, very little time between sets to get my heart rate going on the higher end. I try to get my lift in 25 minutes about 4 days per week.

M: Back, chest (bench), core

T: Legs (squat), biceps, shoulders

W: Off

Th: Bench, Incline, back, triceps, core 

F: Squat, biceps, core, shoulders 

I have tried to make my push/pull ratio at 1:2 since I was having some shoulder issues, and that’s helped.

Some exciting news. For the past 15 years my triglycerides and LDL have been thru the roof. Triglycerides were well over 600 and LDL well over 250. I got my blood work back and my triglycerides are 85 and LDL is 89. (The LDL is largely hereditary)

Edited by Tetsujin
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2020 at 7:58 PM, Tetsujin said:

Some exciting news. For the past 15 years my triglycerides and LDL have been thru the roof. Triglycerides were well over 600 and LDL well over 250. I got my blood work back and my triglycerides are 85 and LDL is 89. (The LDL is largely hereditary)

Congrats.

I just ordered an OmegaQuant which is giving me a full fatty acid panel, omega 3:6 ratio, trans fats, saturated, poly levels, AA/EPA ratio.  Excited for this test then when I can schedule a trip from Long Island to a Connecticut (NY blood laws a strict) I am going to do a full intensive panel of everything.

• Like 1