Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

I completed the Human Fit Program 6 weak redemption workout. Going through it again, starting week 11. After hitting some highs in week 8, the last 2 weeks have been a bit grueling. Tiring and my strength seems down.

I've never trained this hard for this long of period. Diet and sleep have stayed consistent... What should I make of the sluggish feeling I've had the last couple weeks?

23 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I completed the Human Fit Program 6 weak redemption workout. Going through it again, starting week 11. After hitting some highs in week 8, the last 2 weeks have been a bit grueling. Tiring and my strength seems down.

I've never trained this hard for this long of period. Diet and sleep have stayed consistent... What should I make of the sluggish feeling I've had the last couple weeks?

Are you sure you're eating enough? Your sleep has been consistent but that doesn't necessarily mean that your body is getting enough rest. Take a day or two off and see if it helps. Breaks can be beneficial. I wouldn't go longer than a week though unless it's for injury.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Are you sure you're eating enough? Your sleep has been consistent but that doesn't necessarily mean that your body is getting enough rest. Take a day or two off and see if it helps. Breaks can be beneficial. I wouldn't go longer than a week though unless it's for injury.

Yep. I'm a huge fan of de-load weeks. You're not going to lose gains from a week of light work, but you can lose a lot of time from injuries due to overuse. 

Down 10 pounds since about 5 weeks ago. I took this past week off (Covid Vaccination and weather) and back at it tomorrow. My strength numbers are up and my body fat is down, my clothes are fitting better and I’m down 2 belt loops.

Hoping for a solid 2-3 week stretch here for the final 5 pounds and then another round of blood work, and hopefully my cholesterol will be down this second time.

If I wanted to double my protein intake per meal and eat half as many times a day, would there be any real impact there?

Right now I eat or have a protein shake around 5 times a day and get 30-50 grams of protein each meal/shake.  If I was to up that to about 60-80 per meal, would that have any kind of impact?

I'm getting bigger muscle wise, but damn if my body doesn't love holding onto fat. Granted, it's just those last vestiges around the midsection, but when I look at my October photos with my March photos, I'm not seeing a massive difference in that area (though there is some obviously). Though the sacrifice of giving up beer and sweets seems too high. Right now I'm doing weights MWF and basketball TTh because it's the only way I'll run for more than 2 minutes without getting bored and quitting. 

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If I wanted to double my protein intake per meal and eat half as many times a day, would there be any real impact there?

Right now I eat or have a protein shake around 5 times a day and get 30-50 grams of protein each meal/shake.  If I was to up that to about 60-80 per meal, would that have any kind of impact?

As long as you're within your eating window (if you do intermittent fasting) and eating enough, you shouldn't see any real downside.

Your body can only use so much at a given time, so IMO it's better to eat within that window (how ever many times you do so) than to limit it to 2 times or eat as much as 5. For example, I've gotten a lot leaner upping my protein/lost some fat around my midsection, but the game changer was me breaking my fast around 10:30 AM with almonds and a shake and then not eating after 7:00 PM (at all whatsoever).

That's when I noticed a leaning out (which my wife pointed out) and not just the number on the scale. All of this is while lifting 4 days a week, and I typically have made the effort to do 2-3 days of cardio (2 heavy cardio days on the bike, 1 low impact walk with my family).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I made the best switch ever today.

Make leg day the first workout of the week. Everyone does upper body early and often then usually skips working out on the weekend. This means no waiting for leg machines/weights and then less waiting, if any, later in the week. 

This is how I've always done it at commercial gyms, too.  "International Chest Day" is my squat day.  I try to split against the grain of what it seems the majority of the gym does during my regular times.  It works out really well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Anyone ever have issues with their elbows, mainly ulnar nerve entrapment? Going through that right now and it's damn annoying. I have a slight snapping in my left elbow when trying to do certain lifts. 

My right elbow snaps when I do curls, and sometimes even benchpress. I never knew what it was though. 

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

My right elbow snaps when I do curls, and sometimes even benchpress. I never knew what it was though. 

Mines more when I do bench or shoulder press. As soon as I start flaring my elbow out it starts feeling weak and I can feel the nerve moving. 

Been going to physio so hopefully that helps. Otherwise it sounds like surgery may be needed. It's not serve pain or discomfort, I'm just worried if I keep working out I will get to the point where there will be and I'll have no choice to stop lifting or go under the knife. 

I'm 5'10 and when i checked my weight in early March, i was 196 on a digital scale & 192 on a non digital scale 

That was about a 10 pound weight gain since the pandemic started and 35 pounds overall in the last few years, so i decided to get serious about cutting down my weight. My goal was 185 by today and 160 overall.

Started the treadmill in late March on and off, then got serious in early May (4 times a week, upping my intensity gradually). I've also cut my calories down.

I check my weight every 1-2 weeks, usually first thing in the morning after i've used the washroom, don't drink or eat anything before checking. 2 weeks ago, it was 196 on the digital/192 on the non digital, but i treated myself and had takeout the night before so i figured it was water weight. Checked again today, and it's STILL 196 on the digital/192 on the non digital. The fact that its 2 scales show me its not an error there.

But i really don't get it. My runs/walks are getting more intense, i'm burning more calories, cutting down my carbs, portions, late night snacking, and calories overall. My clothes are fitting better, i've had multiple people tell me i've lost some weight, i feel slimmer, and i look slimmer compared to just 2 months ago. Its not a huge difference but without a scale i would have guessed i'd lost 6-8 pounds. I would have guessed 190 at worst. Yet my weight hasn't gone down at all and i'm still 196?  I'm eating more protein and healthier in general (chicken, fish, eggs, avocados) but not doing weights at the moment. 

It just doesn't make sense to me...

Edited by 49ersfan