Todd Haley Leaving Pittsburgh; QB coach Randy Fichtner to replace him

The Gnat

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Your fan-base always hates your OC. You guys shat on Arians too. No play-caller is perfect. There are things that frustrate Rams fans about McVay and Saints fans about Payton. At the end of the day, y'all can be a bit overdramatic.

Running toss plays on 3rd and short and 4th and short back to back against the Jags (a team that can be run on up the middle) is probably the most obvious case to see why his playcalling is terrible. He (or maybe it is Tomlin, but I doubt it) has taken the QB sneak out of the playbook entirely since 2015 despite Ben's previous success with it. The playcalling is very predictable and many scoring drives were out of the hurry-up, which he would likely have less say in which plays are run.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

If you watched the game, you should understand. The offense scored that much in-spite of Haley. His playcalling through much of the game was dreadful.

Is this something that can be quantified? Because no offense the only good thing about the Steelers is their offense and I'm highly skeptical that they are going to move on without missing a beat after having the same offensive coordinator for 5 years which happened to be when the Steelers offense became one of the juggernaut offenses of the league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Is this something that can be quantified? Because no offense the only good thing about the Steelers is their offense and I'm highly skeptical that they are going to move on without missing a beat after having the same offensive coordinator for 5 years which happened to be when the Steelers offense became one of the juggernaut offenses of the league. 

It can't be quantified really, but it is clear on the field that he regularly calls a very poor game.

The offensive production is likely more due to Brown developing and Le'Veon Bell coming to the team. If you want to attribute the success of the offense to a coach, I would point you to Munchak.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Running toss plays on 3rd and short and 4th and short back to back against the Jags (a team that can be run on up the middle) is probably the most obvious case to see why his playcalling is terrible. He (or maybe it is Tomlin, but I doubt it) has taken the QB sneak out of the playbook entirely since 2015 despite Ben's previous success with it. The playcalling is very predictable and many scoring drives were out of the hurry-up, which he would likely have less say in which plays are run.

tbf though, if he did call a QB sneak in each of those situations and it didn't work Big Ben would probably be talking after the game about 'How he doesn't call the plays and isn't sure why they didn't just hand it off to Bell'.

As for Haley, I'm fairly certain everyone hates the guy.  He is a talented OC, but you have to put up with him and his ego which it sounds like the Steelers were done doing...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

It can't be quantified really, but it is clear on the field that he regularly calls a very poor game.

The offensive production is likely more due to Brown developing and Le'Veon Bell coming to the team. If you want to attribute the success of the offense to a coach, I would point you to Munchak.

A lot of Patriots fans have said the same about McDaniels. I think every team can pick apart individual play calls and blame the OC. But the fact is the offense works. I don't know how we are going to assign credit. 

OC gets the boot after a pretty decent performance, and a pretty good year.

No mention of the DC who just allowed the Jaguars to put up 40+ and had momentum all game long.

Pitt has a Culture problem, not a coordinator problem ........just guess by the lack of uniformity all season, you know, like letting your veteran of war be the only guy on the field during the National Anthem. Karma!

13 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

tbf though, if he did call a QB sneak in each of those situations and it didn't work Big Ben would probably be talking after the game about 'How he doesn't call the plays and isn't sure why they didn't just hand it off to Bell'.

As for Haley, I'm fairly certain everyone hates the guy.  He is a talented OC, but you have to put up with him and his ego which it sounds like the Steelers were done doing...

Walking boot szn

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Ben is 18/19 on QB sneaks.