NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, R T said:

Career suicide, if the goal is to never play in the NFL again than that is a good plan.  

Them allowing him to play hurt was career suicide. That’s why he is in the position he is in.

And don’t tell me acting out like that is career suicide when the Browns traded and paid massive money to a dude that has 24 women saying he did terrible things. And now there is  a report that he went thru 66 women in a 17 month period and the Texans knew and allowed.

All that matters is if people feel Baker is talented enough. And he, when healthy, is a Dak Prescott level QB. Most teams don’t have this. Teams issue with Baker is he has 18 million due to him and they don’t want to pay that. It’s not his personality… they just want something for nothing. Get a guy that lead a team to the playoffs and won a playoff game, but for pennies on the dollar.

• Like 1

I'm not overly familiar with the CBA, but wouldn't being a pain to the coaches and spouting off to the media be considered conduct detrimental to the team?  

Again, my free advice is this.  You are staring at a very nice payday.  Don't do anything to blow it.  If that means you show up to practice and shut your mouth, do it.  If in front of the media, get your "Bull Durham" cliches ready.

The NFL stands for Not For Long for many guys.  If this is the last big payday, take every penny and then let the chips fall where they may.

Maybe someone overpays for him next year.  Maybe not.  There will be another slew of QB's coming into the league to occupy more spots.  Many of them will be much more appealing to a club than Mayfield will be just due to age and contract.  Let alone upside.

Walmart's taking over the earth..........

Andrew Brandt -   With this in mind, the sale to Walton - with a net worth of $60B - makes sense. He can "write the check."

Now two of the three wealthiest NFL owners are in the Walton (Walmart) family: Walton and Stan Kroenke, married to Ann Walton. They are 1st and 3rd. Tepper is second.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not overly familiar with the CBA, but wouldn't being a pain to the coaches and spouting off to the media be considered conduct detrimental to the team?  

Again, my free advice is this.  You are staring at a very nice payday.  Don't do anything to blow it.  If that means you show up to practice and shut your mouth, do it.  If in front of the media, get your "Bull Durham" cliches ready.

The NFL stands for Not For Long for many guys.  If this is the last big payday, take every penny and then let the chips fall where they may.

Maybe someone overpays for him next year.  Maybe not.  There will be another slew of QB's coming into the league to occupy more spots.  Many of them will be much more appealing to a club than Mayfield will be just due to age and contract.  Let alone upside.

I guess define what this means? My point is/was is don’t do them any favors. The media is going to ask the questions, because of course they are. Baker is under no obligation to carry the teams water on this.

Now that doesn’t mean be outright disgusting about it. But keeping private conversations private? tell the media everything, calmly and respectfully. I’m sure there is a lot of damning details Baker can put out there… without being over the top about it.

As for the coaches, again you just don’t need to go out of your way. Don’t need to stay longer, go over the small details. Just listen during meeting, but not adding anything.

Him being there alone will add an uneasiness to the club and a distraction. Heck just being honest and open to the media will cause them to ask the coaches and teammates annoying questions daily if Baker keeps supplying them with content.

30 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I guess define what this means? My point is/was is don’t do them any favors. The media is going to ask the questions, because of course they are. Baker is under no obligation to carry the teams water on this.

Now that doesn’t mean be outright disgusting about it. But keeping private conversations private? tell the media everything, calmly and respectfully. I’m sure there is a lot of damning details Baker can put out there… without being over the top about it.

As for the coaches, again you just don’t need to go out of your way. Don’t need to stay longer, go over the small details. Just listen during meeting, but not adding anything.

Him being there alone will add an uneasiness to the club and a distraction. Heck just being honest and open to the media will cause them to ask the coaches and teammates annoying questions daily if Baker keeps supplying them with content.

I don't know what it means, it is vague.  But I did a simple google search and found the 2018 Personal Conduct Policy.  It starts out like this....

It is a privilege to be part of the National Football League. Everyone who is part of the league must refrain from “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in” the NFL. This includes owners, coaches, players, other team employees, game officials, and employees of the league office, NFL Films, NFL Network, or any other NFL business. Conduct by anyone in the league that is illegal, violent, dangerous, or irresponsible puts innocent victims at risk, damages the reputation of others in the game, and undercuts public respect and support for the NFL. We must endeavor at all times to be people of high character; we must show respect for others inside and outside our workplace; and we must strive to conduct ourselves in ways that favorably reflect on ourselves, our teams, the communities we represent, and the NFL.

Me again, first off, Deshaun Watson came to mind.  But in regards to the Mayfield conversation, I'd say that talking to the media about what went on and what would still be going on could violate the policy.  "We must endeavor at all times to be people of high character;  we must show respect for others inside and outside our workplace;  and we must strive to conduct ourselves in ways that FAVORABLY REFLECT ON OURSELVES, OUR TEAMS, THE COMMUNITIES THAT WE REPRESENT, AND THE NFL."

But, I'm no lawyer, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Express lately.  

Again, if I were to counsel Mayfield, I'd tell him to be busting out the cliches and refrain from saying anything negative about the team or the situation.

Now, after reading that, if you did.  Did Rodgers walk a fine line at his press conference a year ago?  Obviously we were not going to report him.  After going over his situation, I guess I don't feel like he violated anything.  He said what he felt and he talked about things he disagreed with.  I don't think he slammed the organization so much as he disagreed with some of it's decisions.

Mayfield would be in a similar situation, only the Brownies would LOVE to get out from under that contract, so he's gotta be much tighter lipped than Rodgers was.  IMO.

50 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Winning a pissing match with management isn't the big plus on the resume that you might be thinking it is. What Mayfield does from this day forward has a great deal to do with if he is even in the NFL next year. The greater the talent the longer the leash on behavior issues, but Mayfield isn't an ultra-talent that anyone is going to put up with his immature **** going forward. See Johnny Manziel. 31 other teams are watching, time to start adulting and stop acting like a teenage girl if he wants an NFL career in the future.      

16 hours ago, R T said:

Career suicide, if the goal is to never play in the NFL again than that is a good plan.  

It's the Browns, you know the team that traded 3 1sts and  guaranteed 250 million to a serial sex offender. 

The rest of the NFL won't give a damn what Baker does to that staff/FO. They earned it with how they handled the situation.

All Baker needs to do is get out of there and play, show what he is or isn't worth, I wouldn't step a foot on the field for the Browns. If Watson is suspended, I'd sit out the first 11 games and show up for the last 6 to accumulate my year and move on.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's the Browns, you know the team that traded 3 1sts and  guaranteed 250 million to a serial sex offender. 

The rest of the NFL won't give a damn what Baker does to that staff/FO. They earned it with how they handled the situation.

All Baker needs to do is get out of there and play, show what he is or isn't worth, I wouldn't step a foot on the field for the Browns. If Watson is suspended, I'd sit out the first 11 games and show up for the last 6 to accumulate my year and move on.

It is the Browns, but behavior is still behavior and is being watched at all times by other teams. 

It's a moot point because the Browns will just leave him at home excused from being there regardless of what happens with the Watson situation.    

24 minutes ago, R T said:

Winning a pissing match with management isn't the big plus on the resume that you might be thinking it is. What Mayfield does from this day forward has a great deal to do with if he is even in the NFL next year. The greater the talent the longer the leash on behavior issues, but Mayfield isn't an ultra-talent that anyone is going to put up with his immature **** going forward. See Johnny Manziel. 31 other teams are watching, time to start adulting and stop acting like a teenage girl if he wants an NFL career in the future.      

Baker needs to go to a place where they want him and where he can compete. Sitting a year out because the Browns did Browns things isn’t going to help him.

So he needs to get out as soon as possible. By all reporting the main issue is the Browns. They don’t want to eat that contact. That’s not Bakers issue or fault. They want to move on from Baker, that’s fine, they have that right. But they aren’t, they are playing this weird in between game because they hitched their wagon to a dude they clearly didn’t know all the details about. And because they spent so much money on their new headache, they are trying to pinch pennies with their old headache. This is all bad management, not Baker’s personality.

Playing the “good solider” only helps the Browns and hurts Baker. I would agree with the shut up and play idea if Baker had something to gain in the situation. He doesn’t. Him being put on ice for a year does him no good. He needs to get to a new team, to learn a new scheme, in a new town developing new relationship and rehabbing his image and play. Not playing patty cake with the morons in Cleveland.

If he doesn’t make noise the Browns have no reason to move on.

vegas, you and I are in agreement.  He's under contract, he can get his $18M.  Don't do anything to sit out or to waste that.  

Don't do anything to confirm the perception that you're a baby.  Play hard, practice hard; play well, practice well.  Assuming Watson misses some time or lots of time or the whole season, play good football in whatever windows of opportunity that you have.  Maybe for 17 games plus playoffs.  Do everything you can to rebuild your reputation, both as a passer and a football player; and as a person and a part of an organization.  

Do everything you can so that a team interested in you next year can say:  "That was then, and that was Cleveland.  We're not worried that he's an immature baby, we think he'll be fine with us.  We think he's a good value on the deal we've agreed to."  

• Like 1

This is the Brown's mess.  They picked up the option, then traded for Watson and all of his baggage.

Baker doesn't need to do squat here, except make sure he keeps getting his game checks.

Let whatever else happen that is going to happen.

I've got no skin in this game at all.  But for some reason, I find myself rooting for Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, craig said:

vegas, you and I are in agreement.  He's under contract, he can get his $18M.  Don't do anything to sit out or to waste that.  

Don't do anything to confirm the perception that you're a baby.  Play hard, practice hard; play well, practice well.  Assuming Watson misses some time or lots of time or the whole season, play good football in whatever windows of opportunity that you have.  Maybe for 17 games plus playoffs.  Do everything you can to rebuild your reputation, both as a passer and a football player; and as a person and a part of an organization.  

Do everything you can so that a team interested in you next year can say:  "That was then, and that was Cleveland.  We're not worried that he's an immature baby, we think he'll be fine with us.  We think he's a good value on the deal we've agreed to."  

He won’t see the field… they sign jacoby brisset. They are likely going to just force Baker to stay away.

He cant do anything to rehab his play or image. He literally is on ice.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

He won’t see the field… they sign jacoby brisset. They are likely going to just force Baker to stay away.

He cant do anything to rehab his play or image. He literally is on ice.

I had forgotten that they signed Brisset.  Then I saw where they excused him from mandatory camp.  Guessing that'll keep happening.

And if it does, that is fine.  The less we hear from Baker during this whole thing, the better it is for him.