NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 6/4/2022 at 11:12 AM, Leader said:

ProFootballTalk -   Lawsuit No. 24 will be filed against Deshaun Watson on Monday. Barring settlements, there's no way these cases will be resolved before 2024.

There's no guarantee this will be the last one. The only thing guaranteed is Watson's contract. Truth stranger than fiction. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, Sandy said:

"Hey, make sure you roll up the toothpaste tube from the bottom when it seems like it's empty. You can get a solid 15 more brushes in before throwing away the tube."

You know Bortles is just brimming with life advice like that.

"you can get free breakfast at a hotel if you walk into the lobby when it is busy."

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

There's no guarantee this will be the last one. The only thing guaranteed is Watson's contract. Truth stranger than fiction. 

It’s going to blow up in the browns face. They know it too… that’s why they are hanging onto Baker.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

It’s going to blow up in the browns face. They know it too… that’s why they are hanging onto Baker.

If you are Baker though, what are your demands?  They just basically tossed you aside.  He should refuse to play without a new contract.  

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

"you can get free breakfast at a hotel if you walk into the lobby when it is busy."

If ever rudely awakened while sleeping on the job, raise your head and hands up and say, “In Jesus’ name, amen.”

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If you are Baker though, what are your demands?  They just basically tossed you aside.  He should refuse to play without a new contract.  

Baker is guaranteed $18M this year.  He has no demands.  Sure he'd like to go somewhere and play, but he's getting paid.  If I were him, I'm not buying out of that contract.  It is up to the Browns to trade him and eat part of that money, or be prepared for the bare minimum from Baker for this year.

It's a business first.  Baker should get his money.  And that will probably mean sucking up his pride and making sure he doesn't give the Browns a reason to not pay him what he is due.

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...It is up to the Browns to trade him and eat part of that money, or be prepared for the bare minimum from Baker for this year.

It's a business first.  Baker should get his money.  And that will probably mean sucking up his pride and making sure he doesn't give the Browns a reason to not pay him what he is due.

It's a business, but there is also a level of competitiveness and professional pride that burns in some men.  Baker should NOT be giving "bare minimum", he should be all-in and giving everything he's got. 

He'll be looking for another contract, too.  So even apart from professional pride, he should have millions of business reasons to give everything he's got.  He might play a lot, on what might be an excellent team; if he can be healthy and throw well, it will do his next contract lots of good.  And he's got his professionalism reputation at issue as well.  He's got a chance to handle all of this really well; and to come out of the season selling a "I've really learned and grown up; for the next team I play for I'm not going to make some of the mistakes I made with Cleveland" kind of a pitch.  But *IF* he gives a minimum-effort slack attitude this season, I don't think that will enhance his marketability for his next contract.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

It's a business, but there is also a level of competitiveness and professional pride that burns in some men.  Baker should NOT be giving "bare minimum", he should be all-in and giving everything he's got. 

He'll be looking for another contract, too.  So even apart from professional pride, he should have millions of business reasons to give everything he's got.  He might play a lot, on what might be an excellent team; if he can be healthy and throw well, it will do his next contract lots of good.  And he's got his professionalism reputation at issue as well.  He's got a chance to handle all of this really well; and to come out of the season selling a "I've really learned and grown up; for the next team I play for I'm not going to make some of the mistakes I made with Cleveland" kind of a pitch.  But *IF* he gives a minimum-effort slack attitude this season, I don't think that will enhance his marketability for his next contract.  

We disagree here.

Baker is not worth $18M or he would have been traded already.

So what he really needs to do, this year, is make sure that he doesn't violate anything in his contract that keeps him from getting paid.  That is what I call the bare minimum.  Keep your money.  Don't do anything that allows the team to void that deal and not pay you.  Because he simply isn't getting $18M from anyone else for this year.

Right now he is an insurance policy for the Browns.  If Watson cannot play, then they have Baker.  The Browns also cannot simply trade him without eating part of that contract, or it would have been done already.

Baker is stuck in limbo.  And he's likely the #2 option for teams who still need a QB behind Jimmy G.

So do whatever it is that he needs to do to keep that money.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

We disagree here.

Baker is not worth $18M or he would have been traded already.

So what he really needs to do, this year, is make sure that he doesn't violate anything in his contract that keeps him from getting paid.  That is what I call the bare minimum.  Keep your money.  Don't do anything that allows the team to void that deal and not pay you.  Because he simply isn't getting $18M from anyone else for this year.

Right now he is an insurance policy for the Browns.  If Watson cannot play, then they have Baker.  The Browns also cannot simply trade him without eating part of that contract, or it would have been done already.

Baker is stuck in limbo.  And he's likely the #2 option for teams who still need a QB behind Jimmy G.

So do whatever it is that he needs to do to keep that money.

But as a fairly young QB, he might raise his level of play to the Kirk Cousins or Ryan Tannehill level and some team will go out and give him a starters contract. He's not going to try hard for the Browns sake, it's for his own.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sandy said:

But as a fairly young QB, he might raise his level of play to the Kirk Cousins or Ryan Tannehill level and some team will go out and give him a starters contract. He's not going to try hard for the Browns sake, it's for his own.

You could be right.  But, I feel like the NFL knows who he is, and the Browns called him a child.  If that is who he is, right now, he's not getting that deal next year.

No one wants to pay him $18M right now.  Odds are he gets that money, then signs a prove it deal next off-season.

The only way I don't see it playing out that way is if the Browns pay $9M and some other team trades for him at $9M.  He plays well, shows that he has grown up and then gets a nicer deal.

But he needs to play well and be a leader somewhere else.  And that will require the Browns to pay a large chunk of his contract this year to play somewhere else.

Given what is going on with Watson?  I'm not sure they are willing to do that just yet.

It is a very, very complicated issue.

But my free unsolicited advice to Baker would be......go to work.  Don't do anything to remotely violate your contract.  This is a great payday, and it may be your last.  Don't blow it.

The guy has received about $33 million in his career so far.  Add another $18.8M and that brings his 5 year career to $51.7M.

Even if he never plays past this year, he's set up for life and then some.

Unless he needs to fill a truck up with gas.  Then he's f----d.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Oh my demands would be trade me, like yesterday. And if they can’t because of his contract I would come to work every day and make everyone uncomfortable. I don’t take it out on my team… but coaches, front office… I would be available every day to the media and basically call out the team and their handling of the situation.

again on the field it’s business and I make sure the guys get good reps. But every other moment I just make it terrible for the coaches and front office.

7 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Oh my demands would be trade me, like yesterday. And if they can’t because of his contract I would come to work every day and make everyone uncomfortable. I don’t take it out on my team… but coaches, front office… I would be available every day to the media and basically call out the team and their handling of the situation.

again on the field it’s business and I make sure the guys get good reps. But every other moment I just make it terrible for the coaches and front office.

Career suicide, if the goal is to never play in the NFL again than that is a good plan.  

• Like 2