NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Mike Garafolo -   Giants have agreed to terms with LB Blake Martinez.

I knew you've done this dance many times before but isn't it easier to copy/paste the tweet link than to copy/paste/type the text?  It'd be easier for others to be able to click on said link and share it with others too if one were so inclined.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117b542306be501c7527

*ducks*

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I knew you've done this dance many times before but isn't it easier to copy/paste the tweet link than to copy/paste/type the text?  It'd be easier for others to be able to click on said link and share it with others too if one were so inclined.

I dont post links to this site.

3 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117b542306be501c7527

*ducks*

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

The vikings absolutely fleeced the Bills. An inconsistent player who made it clear he didn’t want to come back and they get a 1st rounder + for him?  

Just gotta pray the Vikings Williamson up that draft pick. 

still glad diggs is off the team

Tom Silverstein -   The devil will be in the details, but the $10M per year is what a few agents thought he’d (Martinez) get. The Packers were telling people at the combine they wouldn’t go over $7-8M. They could have signed him at $10M because Kirksey only costs $4.25M in cap. Now they need a run-stopper.

45 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its a reload, not rebuild. Diggs wasn't happy being #2 and Rhodes/Joseph were making too much for what they produced. Griffen should come back. We managed to tag Anthony Harris.

We'll still be competitive. I just don't want a receiver in round 1.

reload would imply they're replacing 1 guy with another. All I'm seeing is the team losing guys. Even if you manage to squeeze Griffen and Bailey under the remaining cap, that's still a big loss at WR and a moderate loss at DL. Neither Waynes or Alexander are a shutdown corner, but they're not major holes either. It's not easy to find even average starting caliber players, much less have them play to that ability when they're a rookie. I wouldn't count on your 2020 rookies replacing all that production in year 1. 

But even if the stars align and you select good players in the draft and they produce as rookies to the level of the guys lost, that still means you've just tread water. 

Odds are, the team takes a step back this year, even if they take 2 steps forward in 2021. That's why I think it is at least a mini-rebuild rather than a reload. 

5 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Your list of plays was no more germane to the conversation than my wife's grocery list.    It has nothing to do with Graham's ability to get open.  He wasn't targeted because he couldn't get open.   He was a detriment to the red zone offense because he couldn't/wouldn't block along with an inability to get open or win contested catches.

You throw out a list of plays, but have to know that it really has little to do with telling the story.    As I said earlier,  a case of figures lying.

As far as the rest of your post,  it really is pretty childish.   I think you must need to resort to that because you realize your "facts" weren't pertinent, and you don't want to admit that Graham simply wasn't the player he used to be.   It doesn't fit your agenda,   even during a discussion about a similarly over priced player with diminishing skills.  You really can be a pretty humorous person, even though it isn't your intention.

How open are you expecting a 6'7 265 pound Tight End to be in the redzone? If you're expecting miles of separation, you're being absurd. The entire point of having that guy and that body type on the field is that you can throw him a jump ball or throw him a ball that he can use his body to box out a defender and make a contested catch. The argument of, "Well, he wasn't open." doesn't really apply here. If you're EMPHASIZING getting him redzone targets, he's open on every play based on the body type and the athleticism. 

Here's the last redzone Graham had last year. It was in week 16. It was an interception off of a tipped ball. And Packer fans all were so damn obsessed over the idea that Rodgers only had X number of INTs that weren't tipped balls. This was of course missing the point that if you throw a horrendous ball and it gets tipped, that's still on the QB.

7URQlPm.png

If you have a 6'7 guy running an in-route and you throw to the red circle and not the blue circle, you deserve to get intercepted. It's that simple. Welcome to the end of another classic Aaron Rodgers 2018 choke job. That was the 3rd loss in 4 weeks where the offense scored 17 points and he had less than 275 passing yards and 1 or fewer TDs. 

ynrkWm2.png

This is the best redzone jump ball that Jimmy Graham got in 2018, and it was still UGLY.

aNBRiQe.png

Here's the other one. Not only was this a miss. It wasn't close. 

Rodgers played that entire damn year paranoid as hell about Interceptions, and it showed on these throws. He would rather have thrown a ball that had a 10% chance of a TD and a 1% chance of an INT than a ball with a 40% chance of a TD and a 5% chance of an INT. That's the only explanation that makes sense with the way that he's throwing these balls. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20