NFL News & Notes

Leader

Live right now is the German Soccer league game Bayern  Munich vs Dortmund and they are pumping in crowd noise to the broadcast. It feels so crap. Worse than canned laughter. I really hope this doesn't happen  to the NFL as it ruins the watching experience, at least when there was no pumped in fan noise you could hear the players and coaches. 

Funny enough the coach of Dortmund name is Lucien Favre...

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

This whole Devonta Freeman not being able to find a job and considering retirement thing should give absolutely everybody reason to pause and think about re-signing Jones.  

If we drafted a RB in the 2nd with what didn't look like close to BPA and then re-sign Jones at close to top RB money I will lose faith in this FO

• Like 4

PFT  -   NFL owners approved a handful of rules changes during Thursday’s meeting, including one that will close a loophole that allowed teams to run chunks of time off the clock by intentionally committing dead ball fouls.

The Patriots purposely committed fouls to run time before punting in a regular season win against the Jets and their head coach Bill Belichick said after the game that he thought the league would move to eliminate the tactic. He was right, although it couldn’t happen until after Titans coach Mike Vrabel took advantag of the same loophole in a playoff win over New England.

The change covers the fourth quarter and overtime of games. The game clock will now start on the next snap rather than when officials set the ball after assessing a penalty.

In addition to that change, owners also voted in favor of two other changes. One made permanent the rule calling for booth-generated reviews of successful and unsuccessful tries for points after touchdowns and the other approved enhanced defenseless player protections for kickoff and punt returners.

Those protections, which bar forcible hits to the head or neck area, hits from an opponent who lowers his helmet to make forcible contact and hits from an opponent who launch themselves, now extend until returners have a chance to ward off players from the other team.

The NFL and NFL Players Association agreed to ban increasingly popular joint training camp practices this summer. The decision was made to mitigate coronavirus exposure risk by limiting travel and contact between players on different teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

The NFL and NFL Players Association agreed to ban increasingly popular joint training camp practices this summer. The decision was made to mitigate coronavirus exposure risk by limiting travel and contact between players on different teams.

TBH I never liked them anyway. It seems tempers run fairly high during joint practices. I would rather not take the chance of injury compared to the value they bring during the one week they occur. 

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

TBH I never liked them anyway. It seems tempers run fairly high during joint practices. I would rather not take the chance of injury compared to the value they bring during the one week they occur. 

I've got conflicted feelings about them.  Like you say, depth guys on opposing team are trying to make an impact and make aggressive dirty hits, as seemed to happen against us by Houston last summer.  

On the other hand, I think it would otherwise be really helpful to face some different guys.  Sure, our secondary has figured out how to cover our offense and our long WR; they've kinda memorized what tells MVS and Kumerow have about when they're going to cut or not.  But wouldn't it be nice to see how our secondary prospects can do against unfamiliar receivers, and against receivers who aren't 6'3" and are many shiftier?  Likewise maybe our o-linemen have kinda memorized Gary's small array of pass-rush moves, and kind of have him cased.  But might it not be helpful to see how our lineman can handle unfamiliar pass rushers?  So in principle I love the idea of practicing against other teams... apart from the crazy-man-causing-injury risk.  But maybe the latter is prohibitive...